GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Shoe shopping - driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 10:02 AM
shomann
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shoe shopping - driving me nuts!

I hate shopping.

I mean, I know my girl needs new shoes. She has been so patient with me this summer even though I promised her a shopping trip much earlier this year. The trouble is, I have so many choices, so many good examples of other girls to go by that it is all becoming just a bit too much.

My 02 GS430 is silver and I have always been partial to the gunmetal/black polished lip on silver. I am not deadset on that color combo, but the bright silvers and chrome are out - they look off to me on an already silver car. Hyper black is another option, as are the Lexus hyper silver rims.

I want 18's (I know, 19s look better) because I want to keep something of a civil ride - I am coming from 16's, so I know it won't be THAT plush. I live in a city that doesn't understand road maintainence, so 20's are out and quite honestly, 19" rubber is still too pricey for my tastes.

My dream rim is the Volk CE28n, staggered in gunmetal or black. However, again, I do have something of a budget to work with (I am upgrading my suspension to Tein CS at the same time - no 4x4 look for me, ever). Budget wise, the true high-end rims are probably out of my reach - Volks, Works, HREs, etc - think a MAX of $2k for the set of 4.

I have scoped out nearly every common wheel site and spent more than a fair share of time here on CL. Some that have jumped out to me are Axis Matrix (not available staggered in 18, might look silly), OZ Ultraleggera (might be too skinny on the "fingers"), the 06 Lexus 18" hypersilvers (OEM, but hard to find).

I guess I am looking for ideas. I know this kind of budget thinking flys in the face of the Lexus mindset, but I look at this as a stepping stone to bigger and better looks. I need to do this soon as my tires are definitely wearing out and I definately do NOT want to keep 16s

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
Old 07-28-08, 10:11 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My advice would be to contact Derrick at D2 if you want new. Otherwise, be patient with the classifieds.

As far as shopping for the car, I LOVE IT. So many options. I just don't have the budget to buy everything but I love drooling over the mods. If you don't enjoy looking at stuff for the car, maybe modding isn't for you.
Old 07-28-08, 12:27 PM
shomann
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neo
My advice would be to contact Derrick at D2 if you want new. Otherwise, be patient with the classifieds.

As far as shopping for the car, I LOVE IT. So many options. I just don't have the budget to buy everything but I love drooling over the mods. If you don't enjoy looking at stuff for the car, maybe modding isn't for you.
Good advice, I have been looking on their site a bit, and have a few times in the past few months.

OK, maybe hate is the wrong word. I actually do like shopping for the car, but the rims/tire shopping is just getting to me
Old 07-28-08, 12:44 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
My advice would be to contact Derrick at D2 if you want new.
Best decision I ever made when trying to decide on wheels
Old 07-28-08, 02:28 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

For the price of cheaper Axis wheels, you can find a nice set of used Volks. Just be on the look out in the classifieds on this site and other car forum.

This is probably not what exactly you're looking for, but it shows that you can get nice wheels for a good price without settling for something less.

http://my350z.com/forum/wheels-tires...d-2-200-a.html

Last edited by chrispy; 07-28-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 03:46 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you considered the 18's from the RX330 or the 3GS?

Here's a couple threads to check out, I think either would look great. (Just to put my bias out there, I'm partial to silver on a silver car rather than black or gunmetal.)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=oem+wheels

The 330 wheels in chrome are partway down the page, these would look clean too in silver IMHO. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...m+wheel&page=2
Old 07-28-08, 04:41 PM
shomann
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Have you considered the 18's from the RX330 or the 3GS?

Here's a couple threads to check out, I think either would look great. (Just to put my bias out there, I'm partial to silver on a silver car rather than black or gunmetal.)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=oem+wheels

The 330 wheels in chrome are partway down the page, these would look clean too in silver IMHO. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...m+wheel&page=2
Oh, absolutely - in fact sleeper408's car is something of a benchmark I am shooting for in terms of aggressive, without going over the edge. The OEM rims for 06 (and believe 07) would look great, but I wanted to explore that contrast of gunmetal rims/silver car if I can. If I can't, then I will go OEM and probably still be happy
Old 07-28-08, 04:48 PM
shomann
Rookie

Originally Posted by chrispy
For the price of cheaper Axis wheels, you can find a nice set of used Volks. Just be on the look out in the classifieds on this site and other car forum.

This is probably not what exactly you're looking for, but it shows that you can get nice wheels for a good price without settling for something less.

http://my350z.com/forum/wheels-tires...d-2-200-a.html
I hear you, and I have been looking - and will continue to do so. I check our classifieds daily, as well as the usual suspects out on the web. I couldn't get on the link you sent as it was locked for forum members of my350z...so I don't know exactly what you wanted me to see...