GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My paint is getting kinda DULL

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 11:15 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My paint is getting kinda DULL

how much would it cost to buff out my car.

its a black onyx 2GS.

a rough estimate or whatever yall have paid...

thanks guys.
Old 08-04-08, 11:15 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Also, how much would it cost from the dealer.... err stealership?
Old 08-04-08, 11:26 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do it myself, a detail shop can do it, DONT take it to the dealer. You will want a good compounding, polish, wax/sealant. Honestly, if you buy all your own equipment and products your gonna be around $250 for everything. IF you don't feel comfortable using a high speed buffer however then it may be best to let someone else do it. Black is very easy to damage and it can happen quickly with a high speed. I would go to a trusted body shop and have them give you a quote. Expect it to be about an 8 hour job and run in the $300 range for a good job. Your car will look like a different car when it's done though. If I was around TX I would do it for you for a good deal, you can always drive up to maryland, lol.
Old 08-04-08, 11:37 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919
I do it myself, a detail shop can do it, DONT take it to the dealer. You will want a good compounding, polish, wax/sealant. Honestly, if you buy all your own equipment and products your gonna be around $250 for everything. IF you don't feel comfortable using a high speed buffer however then it may be best to let someone else do it. Black is very easy to damage and it can happen quickly with a high speed. I would go to a trusted body shop and have them give you a quote. Expect it to be about an 8 hour job and run in the $300 range for a good job. Your car will look like a different car when it's done though. If I was around TX I would do it for you for a good deal, you can always drive up to maryland, lol.
lol. sounds cool. thanks for the info. my paint looks grayish. i also have some door dings. should i get those pulled first then buff the paint? i work at the dealership so i get 50% off labor.
Old 08-04-08, 11:51 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't really matter but it would probably be best to do that so the surface is flat.
Old 08-05-08, 12:25 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I detailed mine the other day with my friend's orbital. It was a porter cable, thats all i remember and he said he paid like 100 bucks for it. I think if you bought one for yourself, itd be alot cheaper than taking it to the dealership.
Old 08-05-08, 12:30 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

pads, polishes, waxes, and glazes are the items that are expensive.

you can try www.autopia.org and try to find someone near you.

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-08, 01:01 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh true, i didnt account for the price of the "extras" besides the machine itself. I dunno up to you, but I think I would rather have my own equipment than shell out a few hundred each time I want to detail my car. But dunno, thats just me
Old 08-05-08, 09:12 PM
KurtK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My detailer at the local car wash(don't start) charged me $135 and used a clay bar. I have a 1999 and it looks great now! Clay bar takes out the dull somehow.
Old 08-05-08, 09:39 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

pm scooter58 or scooter56 i forget his sn but he can make black cars look like glass!!
Old 08-05-08, 10:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

A while ago, I detailed a black GS that was probably as bad as yours.

Its dull because of the fine scratch marks on the car. rougher surface aren't as nice for reflections, and with the light bouncing off the scratch, it'll make your paint look duller/grayer than it really is:

Old 08-06-08, 04:37 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detailing Cliffs Notes

Like the others have said check out the detailing forum here on Club Lexus this is a good write-up and www.autopia.org

In order to do your paint the RIGHT way yourself:

1. Wash the car
2. Claybar
NOTE: Some people wash again after claying the paint
3. Porter Cable + Orange Pad (med/hvy cut) + Menzerna Power Gloss
4. Porter Cable + White Pad (mild cut) + Menzerna Final Polish
5. I apply Poorboys Natty's Paste Wax Blue (for dark paint) by hand and buff with the Porter Cable + Red Pad (No Cut)

What's it gonna cost you ?
Car Wash

$199 Porter Cable Kit Includes
• 6" backing plate
• 6" counterweight
• 1 X Yellow Heavy Cut Pad
• 2 X Orange Med/Hvy Cut Pads
• 2 X White Light Cut Pads
• 2 X Black Finishing Pads
• 2 X Blue No Cut Pads (same as Red Pads)
• 3x Snappy Clean Pad Cleaners

$ 19 Menzerna Power Gloss

$ 70 Menzerna Polish Kit Buy Here
• Menzerna Final Polish
• Menzerna Intensive Polish
• Black Fire Clay
• Blackfire Clay Lube

$ 20 PB Natty Blue

You're looking at $309 but you would be buying YEARS worth of detailing. If you were paying for exterior details twice a year it would pay for itself in a year.

DaveC
Old 08-06-08, 06:08 AM
scottgs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting mine done for free at the local Toyota dealership, as I am good buds with the general manager. I know their detail team and they use nothing but top notch stuff. And since he has gone to them and stated have this car detailed from ground up, I know they will take care of me. But personally I usually do it myself as I am pretty picky.
Old 08-06-08, 11:04 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Depending on where you live, the cost of detailing is for "skilled" labor time not necessarily equipment and/or materials. A place that has an actual building may cost even more to cover rent and maybe insurance.

Switch your perspective along these lines and it may help you decide if you want to do it yourself or get it done by someone else.

Additionally, you can peruse craigslist or other for some entreprenurial-car-detailing-types who work out of their home and don't have actual business overhead. Typically they'll have some pics of past jobs as a means of reference/rating, a list of products they have and what services they offer.
Again, what you are paying is labor, so if you don't particularly like what they use, you can always bring a bottle of whatever.
Old 08-06-08, 12:46 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you were here in atl, i'd hook you up bro. i just detailed an evo and the owner was really pleased with the finish that i got out of the polish on the paint. but i can tell you a good detail shop will get you for about $275-$350 since your car is black there is extra work to be done. a good buffer/polisher will make your car look brand new and can often surprise you with the results.

i would also recommend flynnswax.com steve flynn mixes all his own stuff and it is the only stuff i use now. a simple wash, clay, ebony, longevity, excite, and cherry wet wax will do you good! i have a 2001 with original paint and it feels like glass and i get compliments every where i go about how clean and new the paint looks. my car is also a demo car on his site so you know i am not BS-ing you. it is funny because he only sponsors black cars because the black is hardest to detail and it shows EVERYTHING! the pt cruiser on his main page has almost 200k on the odometer and his paint is still cherry because it has only seen flynn's products on it from day 1.

Last edited by carbongs; 08-06-08 at 12:51 PM.