GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

? Remove Yellow from foglights...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 04:53 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

I'd take a pic, but they're too damn bright!! for the camera?! I spent butloads on a camera thinking I wouldnt run in to problems, but nope still get an ugly glare at any angle
Old 08-05-08, 05:26 PM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15k fogs? what are you running in your head lights?
Old 08-05-08, 07:14 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Downfall75
15k fogs? what are you running in your head lights?

Oh, I thought I stated... I'm planning on running 3 sets 15k. I already have the 15's on the High AND Low beams. so to match I want to run them in the fogs too..
Old 08-06-08, 11:13 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Gets PLENTY of attention!!! I've always liked the look of the 15,000k's and 30,000k, but cant see ANYTHING with the 30,000...

May I ask why you give the ? I dont mind people not like what I do, just would like to know your opinion. Better though that you give a instead of saying "thats effin stupid!!" like what many poop heads do out there.. yes I said poop heads, big whoop you want to fight about it!! :P
LOL at the last line.

I've got 6000k in mine right now and they're borderline acceptable to my tastes (as far as the light on the road, they look good from outside the car) and there was a noticeable decrease in output from the stock bulbs. I think I'm gonna step back to 5000k if I do the retrofit I'm considering. A little brighter and maybe a little less purple, just a little blue would suit my tastes better but that's just me.

I just had to wonder if you can see anything with the 15000k? I'm sure you'd be fine in town but what about on a dark highway? I guess the 15,000k isn't my thing and alot of people here would flame you for it; but to each their own, I'm not one to be an *** about it.

BTW, just noticed a second ago your new. Welcome!
Old 08-06-08, 03:47 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the yellow on a black car, try selling it off and purchasing a new clear set.

Old 08-06-08, 06:53 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
LOL at the last line.
I just had to wonder if you can see anything with the 15000k? I'm sure you'd be fine in town but what about on a dark highway? I guess the 15,000k isn't my thing and alot of people here would flame you for it; but to each their own, I'm not one to be an *** about it.

you know I've been considered a pro in an other forum when it comes to HID's... main reason is because I've bought literally like 20 differant sets and a million different bulbs. reason be is because all brands have different colors for their kelvan heating... I once got a set of 30,000k bulbs for my show car (which is purple) they were suppose to be DARK DARK DEEP purple, well nope! they were navy blue.. I trip out that you said that you have purple on your 6000k's. the TRUE kelvan rating for purple is usually at 12k and a hint of it at 10k... now the BRIGHTEST heat rate is going to be 4300k however one thing I've noticed is that the GS headlights SUCKS ***!!!! I've tried about 4 or 5 heat levels on my car and becaus of the shape of them, you get a weird cut off that doesnt let you adjust them right... I've got brand new head lights, but I just cant focus the light right. I'm probably going to do the retro, but I'm currently doing it on an other car and hate it! LoL

as for being able to see things... nope, 15k will give you half the light of a normal halogen. Driving in the city is where you cant see anything! just like how you cant see the stars in the city, but when you get out in the hills and such, you see the stars VERY bright. all the city lights overpower my hids, HOWEVER, when I have the high beams on, you can see VERY clearly. So I have adjusted them down a little (to not blind people) and keep them on all the time and can see VERY good.... ::breath::
Old 08-06-08, 08:25 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I was able to get a decent pic of the lights...

Old 08-06-08, 09:34 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

I've tried about 4 or 5 heat levels on my car and becaus of the shape of them, you get a weird cut off that doesnt let you adjust them right... I've got brand new head lights, but I just cant focus the light right. I'm probably going to do the retro, but I'm currently doing it on an other car and hate it! LoL
If you are the HID expert you claim you are, you of all people should know that halogen reflectors were not made for HID bulbs.
Old 08-06-08, 10:05 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

"High temperature" HID bulbs are just subjective. They don't actually burn at 30000k or whatever. The makers of the bulbs just make some crazy number that corresponds with whatever color the bulbs are. Since pink is so extreme, I guess it's logical to call it 30000k.
Old 08-06-08, 10:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pingu
If you are the HID expert you claim you are, you of all people should know that halogen reflectors were not made for HID bulbs.
YES SIR! (I like the sarcasim..) but im getting something from this car that I havent with my other cars... however there IS one thing that I dont know:

whats the difference between the hid housing and the non hid housing on the GS OTHER than the type of bulb "holder" or what ever you call it?

The problem i'm having is that that "thing" that covers the bulb blocks a lot more light than i've seen on my other applications.

now, question on Lexus's logic.. if HID's are to be much better, then why would they make a useless housing?
Old 08-06-08, 11:57 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

There are two different reflectors. HID and non HID reflectors. HID reflectors use D2R bulbs (reflector type bulbs) and non hid headlights use 9006 base bulbs.
Old 08-07-08, 12:01 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

YES SIR! (I like the sarcasim..) but im getting something from this car that I havent with my other cars... however there IS one thing that I dont know:

whats the difference between the hid housing and the non hid housing on the GS OTHER than the type of bulb "holder" or what ever you call it?

The problem i'm having is that that "thing" that covers the bulb blocks a lot more light than i've seen on my other applications.

now, question on Lexus's logic.. if HID's are to be much better, then why would they make a useless housing?
Think about it. If the "thing" that covers the bulb isn't there, your lowbeam reflector is the same as the high beam. How is that safe or efficient? You would spray light everywhere, even worse with your HID kit. The "thing" is there to reflect the light onto the reflector to spread it evenly to create useful light onto the road.

There is a huge difference between HID bowls and halogen bowls. HID bowls are designed to reflect more intense light from an HID bulb. Halogen bowls aren't designed for it so when you put an HID kit in it acts almost like a high beam.
Old 08-07-08, 12:40 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pingu
There are two different reflectors. HID and non HID reflectors. HID reflectors use D2R bulbs (reflector type bulbs) and non hid headlights use 9006 base bulbs.
yea, got that.. I couldnt think of the right "term" which was the "bowl" difference..

HOW ABOUT THIS GUYS Heres a terrible illustration of what I get, is this the same that you guys get with your hid's?

With any bulb temp I get, its difficult to see directly in front of me (~8ft) but its not too bad ahead. its a SHARP cut off directly in front of the car (the light purple) but is VERY light while the dark purple (~20ft ahead) is bright enough to see ahead. I cant point the lights any further down to bring the bright view any closer. it be great if I could flip that cut off around! anyways, I guess that where retro fitting comes to play. I just dont want to got through the trouble again as I did with my last cars UGH!
Old 08-07-08, 12:41 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
LOL at the last line.
and I just noticed a second ago you welcomed me... Thanks
Old 08-07-08, 01:20 AM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

how bout a pic of the 15k's that is not directly in front of it..or a pic of the lighting output from inside the car? it looks really purple..im not one to judge..but 10k would be the highest id go..id like to see ur light set up at night without the highs..and with the 15k fogs..jus to see it and keep that visual as a mental note

Quick Reply: ? Remove Yellow from foglights...