GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Turn Signal Halos

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 06:37 PM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Turn Signal Halos

This is a request for help from anybody that knows electrical... I have angle eyes or "halos" on my headlights, and I had this grand idea of making them flash with the turn signals, as well as the side markers... Problem is I want them to be on constantly but flash when the signal flashes. Is there any way of doing this, or does anybody know how to wire something like this up? I think it would do everybody well just to even know how to make the side markers flash with the turning signal while remaining on when the turning signal is not activated. If anybody know how to help I would love you forever BTW I hooked up the halos directly to the turn signals power, and it looks sweeeeet

Thank you

-Joe
Old 08-07-08, 07:01 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you have the ebay halo housings or the aac halo upgrades? i am pretty sure there is a module you can get at like frys or radio shack that will allow you to do this.
Old 08-08-08, 01:46 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

I have the ebay halos, so the connector plugs into the stock connector that had the turn signal and the extra light that used to be in the high beam housing. The angel eyes run off the old (can't remember the name) extra light, and the turn signal still plugs into the same port... By any chance, do you know the name of the item? Every place I go to the guys that work there know nothing more then the guy at the drive through window at mcdonalds haha...

Thanks again for all your help on both my posts carbongs and everybody else!

-Joe
Old 08-08-08, 04:59 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you want them to flash together or one on / one off?
Old 08-08-08, 10:50 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

the two halos can flash together with the turn signal, or I can just remove the turn signal and just have the two halos flash...
Old 08-08-08, 11:57 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What I was thinking was run the halo ground wire through a realy that holds contact until its triggered by the turn signal. When the signal turns on it would trigger the relay to break contact and turn the halos off. When the signal goes off the relay regains contact and the halos would turn back on. They would flash together but at alternating times. Thats the simplest way I thought of.
Old 08-08-08, 10:49 PM
jamodeo
Instructor

Sounds very logical to me! Thank you very much, I will try this in the morning.

-Joe
Old 08-09-08, 09:44 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cut the connector off the halo line that runs to the daytime running light. strip the wires for the turn signal bulb, splice them in (i'd recommend solder, but you can cut the turn signal wire, twist it all together or use a terminal cap), wrap em up nice nice and there you go. however, this won't keep them on with your parking lights, they'll only flash on when the signal goes.

i did this when i was in my rice stage () 99 maxima, had blue washer sprayer lights wired with my turn signals.
Old 08-10-08, 09:01 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

That is not what I am looking to do, just to see how it would look when they flash, I swapped the two connections and saw that they work as blinkers and now want them to continuously be on, but when the turn signal comes on, I want them to flash, as well as my side markers. But thank you

-Joe
Old 08-10-08, 10:06 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jamodeo
That is not what I am looking to do, just to see how it would look when they flash, I swapped the two connections and saw that they work as blinkers and now want them to continuously be on, but when the turn signal comes on, I want them to flash, as well as my side markers. But thank you

-Joe
ohh okay. yeah you'll need to do a relay in there somewhere, i'm not really too experienced with that.
Old 08-10-08, 04:12 PM
jamodeo
Instructor

Tell me about it haha, I have been working on this project since 9am and no place around my town knows how to do this stuff. I am getting so impatient I want to go blow something up haha

-Joe