GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Air Fliter Oil problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 12:49 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Air Fliter Oil problem?

This weekend I had cleaned my Air Filter (reusable one etc).
I sprayed it with water, used that K&N cleaner, lots of dirt, yada yada.
I let it dry for a bit spray on the filter oil, pop it on the car, cool all is golden right!? WRONG!

So this morning I was crazy scared.
I get in the car, key in the ignition and my car doesn't start.
I was like AHHHH ****.
Crank it again, NOTHING!
About 4-5 more times of this and the panic mode hits.

The motor is turning, belts moving etc, lights are coming on, etc etc so I know its not the battery or something.

I think, damn, all that I have changed is the air filter.

Well I take off the filter, remove, try to start it again, and NOTHING. 3-4 times more. Its like it was trying to start but it couldn't.

It had to be the air filter I did nothing but wax and wash the car this weekend.

I unscrew the whole intake and try to crank again.
After LOTS of hesitation it finally starts and lots of what smells like gas smoke comes out the back. I think (someone correct me here please) I flooded the engine by hitting the gas to make it start.

But the original problem I think occurred from perhaps the air filter having TOO MUCH OIL and no air being able to come in to light the fuel.

Could I be wrong or could this be the start of something major?
Old 08-11-08, 12:57 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

sounds like you have a huge vacuum leak.

I don't care how many gallons of oil you have dumped on the filter, your engine should still be able to start.
Old 08-11-08, 12:59 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe there was residual filter oil on your Mass air flow sensor. Did you try cleaning your MAF with CRC MAF cleaner before re-installing the K&N? I have the K&N drop-in filter myself and never encountered this problem.. It is a good idea to let the filter fully dry (I dry mine outdoors during full sun) before re-installing.. Also, apply a light coat of the filter oil before install..

Check the MAF..
Old 08-11-08, 03:52 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did you apply the oil to the wrong side of the filter by accident? it may have been some extra oil on the maf but that's highly unlikely unless you put the oil on the wrong side of the filter. Much outside of that maybe the filter wasn't completely dry yet? oil does repel water....add that to the suction of the intake and you might as well remove the hood and the whole intake system in a rainstorm haha
Old 08-11-08, 05:34 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Thanks shock, I'll check the MAF.
I went to work and back today and all was good.
This morning after it finally started it felt slugish but as I guess the engine stopped being flooded it felt fine.

I think I may have put TOO much oil on it.

...Elitistk where would the vacuum leak be? Picture could help.
The only thing I cleaned was the air filter.
Old 08-11-08, 05:53 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Was the filter completely dry? I also think the filter may still have been wet when you put the oil on.
Old 08-12-08, 05:37 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah do exactly what Sean said...clean your MAF sensor! I too have a K&N air intake but just recently switched to a dry media type filter, no more oiling ever, I feel better response and it came in a universal size that has more volume than the K&N intake filter yet still fits in the engine bay. It also has a velocity stack on it. Check it out if you ever get sick of re-oiling your K&N it's an Amsoil High efficiency filter w/nanotechnology; $50-
Old 08-12-08, 06:30 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's not a vacum leak. there's oil on the maf. this is why I use the stock filter.
Old 08-14-08, 01:51 AM
JPADJ79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time to prevent your car from flooding. this happens after cranking the Engine multiple times with no fire. Then what you have to do is hold the pedal at WOT and try to start it agian. This will tell the computer to stop the fuel Injectors from opening and more air to enter the cylinder it works evertime ( IF its only Flooded) FYI
Old 08-14-08, 02:42 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

correct me if im wrong, but arent you suppose to let your filter dry fairly well before you apply the oil? and on top of what others have said the MAF sensor is a very sensitive unit and if you applied too much oil while the filter was still wet i would see why the car didnt want to start......turn the key ...starts to crank and suck air then the MAF gets hit with water and oil...bad combo...
Old 08-14-08, 06:05 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
correct me if im wrong, but arent you suppose to let your filter dry fairly well before you apply the oil? and on top of what others have said the MAF sensor is a very sensitive unit and if you applied too much oil while the filter was still wet i would see why the car didnt want to start......turn the key ...starts to crank and suck air then the MAF gets hit with water and oil...bad combo...
You are correct. The filter should be washed and fully dry prior to applying the filter oil. Light coat of oil only. Somehow, when I recieved my K & N new back in the day, it was soaked with oil.. I had to clean the filter and re apply a lighter coat of oil before install.
Old 08-14-08, 09:08 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had the same issue with my friends 350z, it turned out to be the MAF sensor that is located right on top of the air box, it had gotten a thin layer of oil built up on it.
Old 10-01-08, 01:57 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Yeah do exactly what Sean said...clean your MAF sensor! I too have a K&N air intake but just recently switched to a dry media type filter, no more oiling ever, I feel better response and it came in a universal size that has more volume than the K&N intake filter yet still fits in the engine bay. It also has a velocity stack on it. Check it out if you ever get sick of re-oiling your K&N it's an Amsoil High efficiency filter w/nanotechnology; $50-
Where do you go to buy this? I've checked amsoil's website and couldn't find it (except for the oil filter). I have a gs430 2001.
Old 10-01-08, 06:36 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
Where do you go to buy this? I've checked amsoil's website and couldn't find it (except for the oil filter). I have a gs430 2001.
If you can't find it then they do not have the OEM size drop-in type. The one I got was a universal cone filter to replace my K&N cone filter on my air intake.
Old 10-01-08, 07:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sam430
Blitz sells dry element panel filters for the 2nd gen GS 3 & 4 series..

http://www.blitz-performance.com/ind...=index&cPath=7

Quick Reply: Air Fliter Oil problem?