GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Carbon Fiber headlight trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 12:55 PM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber headlight trim

Hey,
I recently had the ebay projectors installed in my gs300 after it was hit. They produce a bit of a gap between the bumper and the headlight itself.

So I thought about getting the chrome headlight trim and repainting them or something:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

Then I kind of got the idea of making carbon fiber ones. If they were available, how many of you would be interested. They would just be the trim though and probably made from a vinyl
Old 08-11-08, 01:21 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested. How much?
Old 08-11-08, 01:48 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If there are gaps....I suggest checking the installation of the headlights and the bumper....something wasn't installed properly.
Old 08-11-08, 05:23 PM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PHML
If there are gaps....I suggest checking the installation of the headlights and the bumper....something wasn't installed properly.
Nah, all the aftermarkets leave a bit of a gap. Two of my friends have the same headlight, the projectors with the 2 angel eyes, and they all have that gap. Its small but not perfect.

I'd assume the cost to be up to 100 bucks. I work for a big manufacturing company in the city and they would have all the tools.

I might do it for myself and then see how well the results come out.
Old 08-11-08, 07:00 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gennady7
Nah, all the aftermarkets leave a bit of a gap. Two of my friends have the same headlight, the projectors with the 2 angel eyes, and they all have that gap. Its small but not perfect.

I'd assume the cost to be up to 100 bucks. I work for a big manufacturing company in the city and they would have all the tools.

I might do it for myself and then see how well the results come out.
how are you gonna charge 100 dollars to wrap a 50 dollar shipped trim piece in a vinyl carbon fiber overlay???

maybe its just how i understood your intention, but even if you made your own and then wrapped them, man that's kind of a ripoff...
Old 08-11-08, 10:49 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's why i recommend not going the aftermarket headlight replacement route. a gap is a gap, covering it up with a trim piece that is going to be covered in a wrap exposed to the elements doesn't sounds like a great idea. the classifieds on here are full of headlights that are oem. better to mod one of those and not have the gap and then have to add these headlight rings. i mean, i don't like how they look at all. it just looks like it doesn't belong!
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber headlight trim-lx01gs-11425htx.jpg  
Old 08-11-08, 11:15 PM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
how are you gonna charge 100 dollars to wrap a 50 dollar shipped trim piece in a vinyl carbon fiber overlay???

maybe its just how i understood your intention, but even if you made your own and then wrapped them, man that's kind of a ripoff...
I didnt really think this through fully, understand really that I took that number (100) just thinking that it will be an expensive process.

I think if a lot of people are interested, a mold can be created and real carbon fiber can be used. I just really want to know if there would be any interest really.
Old 08-11-08, 11:22 PM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carbongs
that's why i recommend not going the aftermarket headlight replacement route. a gap is a gap, covering it up with a trim piece that is going to be covered in a wrap exposed to the elements doesn't sounds like a great idea. the classifieds on here are full of headlights that are oem. better to mod one of those and not have the gap and then have to add these headlight rings. i mean, i don't like how they look at all. it just looks like it doesn't belong!
Your right, however, these aftermarket headlights come with a projector and angel eyes. I purchased them because my car was hit and one of the headlights was destroyed and instead of having the shop buy one headlight for 300, they bought two.

If going OEM, you would need to retrofit the housing to fit a projector, invest a great deal of time in making adjustments as well as painting and installing halos. Carbongs, you have a great looking GS that you compete with, I use my car to travel and having the small gap does not bother me all that much, but owning a lexus, i'd like the car to be perfect. So this is where the idea came in, I am not trying to do the chrome look and the trims look pretty cool.

The overall purpose of this thread was just to get feedback on an idea and to see whether or not I can spark an interest with other fellow gs owners.