GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98-00 GS400 or 95-99 M3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08 | 08:18 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by klexgs
I'm leaning towards the UZS161. I even know the chassis code. lol. Since I was 11y.o. I wanted a GS400 so I might as well quit wasting time and get one when I sell my Mazda and Camry. Thanks for the unbiased replies I really appreciate it.
isnt it uzs160?
Old 08-13-08 | 09:25 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i would pick a newer m3 over a newer gs but the m3 is much much more $$$. for your choice like whazzup said test drive 2 or 2 similar ones if you can't drive those exact 2 to see what you think. my friend has an old m3 of that model and i have a 99gs4 and i have dropped in mods what he has dropped in maintenance and he now has an old stock m3 and i now have an old not so stock gs4.
if you wanna drag it or race every honda then m3 if you wanna just drive comfortably then gs4...
Old 08-13-08 | 11:38 AM
shomann
Rookie

Love my GS and it is the latest in a long line of differing styles of cars for me. My last car was an '05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon

I have never been a Bimmer owner, but they definitely have the reputation as a less reliable ride. I think the GS is a better choice, particularly if you just want to get in and enjoy a nice, luxury ride.

If you want a hybrid of luxury and mod-ability, I second the opinion of getting the GS300.
Old 08-13-08 | 12:41 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Some helpful info from Edmonds on both cars:

99 M3
Vehicle

1999 BMW M3 2 Dr M3 Coupe

Review

The car is excellent all around. With this bmw, you get it all - style, performance, luxury, and BMW prestige. You can drive in all types of weather, including snow with snow tires, without any problems (except that you'll find yourself wanting to garage it in the winter!). I drive my m3 hard, and it has always performed flawlessly. I am impressed with all of its performance characterics. Don't let small HP and torque number fool you - the germans really know how to put the power onto the pavement with this car. The trunk is plenty big, the back seats could be bigger. Reliability has been excellent with proper maintenance http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m3/1999/c...eview.1...html
Vehicle

2000 Lexus GS 400 4 Dr GS 400 Sedan

Review

I was surprised to find out how many problems I've had out of this car. I've had two Camrys in the past and had minimal problems so I expected the same with the Lexus. I have handling problems. 3 different repair shops have not been able to get the alignment right. I've had recurring windshield wiper problems (they stop working even though motor has been replaced). I've also had recurring brake problems (replacement of pads and calipers). Really expected more stability and reliability out of Lexus.
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs400/2000/review.html
Do your full research & test drive both.. Good luck.

00 GS400
Old 08-13-08 | 01:13 PM
klexgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
isnt it uzs160?
That's correct. the 430 is uzs161. i hear you.
Old 08-13-08 | 01:13 PM
klexgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER

00 GS400
thanks, very informative
Old 08-13-08 | 01:41 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER

Lol on Dashocker searching and tracking down opposite quotes from the norm, but the advice "do your full research" is appropriate and you'll find out for yourself. Don't rely on brand fanboy posting.

My wife/I currently own BOTH of these cars (a 98 GS400 and a 98 BMW M3). The M3 IMO is much more fun car to drive, but there is a significant amount of crap that goes wrong with that vehicle vs the GS. Granted the BMW is a full-on track car and sees heavy driving in short spurts, but its still street legal and much of the stuff that breaks is OEM that just wears out and needs replacing. The technology of the GS is bit more updated given it first came out in late 1997 vs 1991 for the E36.

My personal opinion (having both of the cars sitting downstairs from me)... If you want a comfortable and reasonably fast cruiser that is great on both short and long trips and a higher reliability choose the GS. If you value the road feel and steering precise nature of the car or really want a stickshift, the M3 is the way to go. It will also be easier to find a quality used Lexus vs finding a non-abused M3. If you want to really get into modifications, the M3 has a lot more stuff out there from a performance perspective (cams, etc) but is also more pricey to modify (also as observed by paying my wife's shop bills)

My GS

My wife's E36 (m3/4)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-13-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-13-08 | 02:13 PM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Smile gs or m3

Gs 400. i spend months over should i get a bmw/lexus/mercedes/audi.
i went with the lexus and i love it. m3 is just fun like a one night stand. GS is like the the girl you take to meet the parents
Old 08-13-08 | 02:18 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

I've also owned a 99 m3 (back in 2004) and currently own a 99 GS300.

First off, the m3. While the car is prone to more problems compared to a Toyota product, you won't find your head under the hood all that much. It's more electrical gremlins than anything. My car had a problem with the car always thinking that a brake light was out. Only owned the car for about 8 months and ~19k miles. I was also told that the oil pump nut backs off when doing lots of consecutive donuts, which is a big deal because it leads to engine failure.

The m3's overall quality felt a little cheap.. my 99's moldings already showed significant wear and tear. The paint didn't feel that great as well. Don't get the 95 as it has the smaller 3 liter motor. People always say the OBD I (95 m3) responds better to mods, but with the equal amount of modifications done, the OBD II (3.2L 96-99) cars always make more power. 99 is the best year (imo) because it comes with little differences such as a shift **** that lights up as well as a 3 spoke steering wheel.

Secondly, I love my GS. And it's only a 300! I was really looking for a 400, but needed a car bad and scooped up a 300. I'm pretty sure if I had a 400, I'd love the car even more for the extra power and the sound produced by the v8. The m3 is not uncomfortable, but the comfort of the GS is a bit better. I prefer the way the leather feels in the GS over the m3.

The m3 needs a few modifications to be on the same level as a gs400, such as projector headlights and hid's. But if I had plans on extensive modifications to either car and want to go fast, I'd go with a 300 and swap in a GTE. Handling ability of a GS with coilovers is good enough for the street, exceeding or even approaching such limits should be kept at the track.

So all in all, GS it is.

oh yea, my m3 had 88k miles when I sold it while my gs has 150k miles when I bought it.
Old 08-13-08 | 03:40 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Owned both, only the GS430 in my driveway today. I'm 25 and can't afford a garage full of cars. If this is your daily driver, get the GS. The M3 is a fantastic weekend car, or a "I need some alone time" car to just drive with no destination in mind.

Yeah I miss the stick-shift. Yeah I miss the BMW handling. But I take alot of road trips. My commute to work is a congested 15 minute crawl on the highway. I hate to say it, but I've also noticed that I've been aging recently. The luxury of the GS just trumps an M3 ya know, they're obviously two very diff cars.

I miss my bimmers, but I wouldn't go back to one as a daily. I'd LOVE to pick one up as a toy when I have the money!! Still, bone stock the GS is a pretty capable sports sedan, it'll put a smile on your face... but with a few mods, you'll have sweaty palms and butterflies in your tummy-tum!
Old 08-13-08 | 08:37 PM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by Fat Felix
I've also owned a 99 m3 (back in 2004) and currently own a 99 GS300.

First off, the m3. While the car is prone to more problems compared to a Toyota product, you won't find your head under the hood all that much. It's more electrical gremlins than anything. My car had a problem with the car always thinking that a brake light was out. Only owned the car for about 8 months and ~19k miles. I was also told that the oil pump nut backs off when doing lots of consecutive donuts, which is a big deal because it leads to engine failure.

The m3's overall quality felt a little cheap.. my 99's moldings already showed significant wear and tear. The paint didn't feel that great as well. Don't get the 95 as it has the smaller 3 liter motor. People always say the OBD I (95 m3) responds better to mods, but with the equal amount of modifications done, the OBD II (3.2L 96-99) cars always make more power. 99 is the best year (imo) because it comes with little differences such as a shift **** that lights up as well as a 3 spoke steering wheel.

Secondly, I love my GS. And it's only a 300! I was really looking for a 400, but needed a car bad and scooped up a 300. I'm pretty sure if I had a 400, I'd love the car even more for the extra power and the sound produced by the v8. The m3 is not uncomfortable, but the comfort of the GS is a bit better. I prefer the way the leather feels in the GS over the m3.

The m3 needs a few modifications to be on the same level as a gs400, such as projector headlights and hid's. But if I had plans on extensive modifications to either car and want to go fast, I'd go with a 300 and swap in a GTE. Handling ability of a GS with coilovers is good enough for the street, exceeding or even approaching such limits should be kept at the track.

So all in all, GS it is.

oh yea, my m3 had 88k miles when I sold it while my gs has 150k miles when I bought it.
You're going to shock "Dashocker"
Old 08-13-08 | 09:17 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

the gs400 looks newer too.
Old 08-13-08 | 10:12 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

I like the E36 M3 okay and I respect the performance of it...
I just think it's a bit small and austere. The interior sucks!

I prefer the torque, sound and look of the 2GS. Hands-down, no contest.
Of course, I have an MR2 for "fun..."
Old 08-14-08 | 05:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
You're going to shock "Dashocker"
LOL.
Shock me how? I did not suggest one vehicle over the other in this thread. If you look at the links, all I did was cut & paste the first opinion of each vehicle from the source. Edmunds is not Clublexus so one will find less "fanboy" commentary there. I happen to own a pristine GS400 myself, yet I can think outside of the box and be neutral as I've been with my advice here... Hmmmm.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 08-14-08 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-14-08 | 06:16 AM
Bliggity
Pole Position

I was between a 99 M3 and a 02 GS430, I didnt realize how much I liked driving a manual and wish I had gone with some kind of manual car wether it was a M3 or something else. Base your decision on what holds the most value to you. I like the GS430, but the one factor that means to so much to me (manual) is not there so I do not like my decision in gettinghe car.

Quick Reply: 98-00 GS400 or 95-99 M3?