GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 general question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-02, 06:57 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS400 general question

Hey people, im Xavier the new guy from so cal, i have a LS400, stock, just rims. im thinking of getting a 98 GS400, my question is what are the changes in the car from 98 to the new GS430.

Im pretty sure ill get the 98 GS400 so what options should i look for? i really want the HIDs', does the 98 come with HID's?

what are the specs on the GS series (v8)

Im either going to get the 98 or repaint my LS400 and hook it up, but ive had it for about a year and a half, so im due for a change. tell me what ya think fella's, thanx
Old 02-14-02, 08:50 PM
TexastyleGS4

Cool

All GS4s come with HIDs. optional on GS3s only.
The cars come fully equipped as base models. The only options are sunroof, spoiler, navigation, or Nakamichi sound. I sell these cars and there is not much sound quality difference between Lexus premium and Nak.

GS400 300hp 310lb.
GS430 300hp 325lb. displacement is .3 liter bigger for a little more power.
in 2001 the front grille and rear taillamps were slightly re-styled
Old 02-14-02, 09:17 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

If memory serves me correct, NOT all GS4s come with HIDs. It only became standard on the GS430. You have to see if the car has the NAV or Nackimichi package which came with HIDs. I think the premium package did not have HIDs unless it was added as an option. My memory of my 98 GS4 is blurry, so I hope I am correct on all the packages, if not I am sure the others will slap me silly and correct me.
Old 02-14-02, 10:15 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOt all GS400's come standard with HIDs, only GS430 comes standard with HID's, 98 to 00 GS4, u have to get either NAKA, or NAv package in order to have the HIDs
Old 02-14-02, 10:27 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HIDs

Not to confuse the issue any more but what the heck. I have a 2000 GS4 with NAK without HID, unfortunately.

If you want to be sure of the HID, test them out. When the lights are turned on, you'll see the beam move downward and then up again.

Just FYI.

MAC
Old 02-14-02, 11:16 PM
Jay Son
Driver School Candidate

CHANGES MADE TO THE 2001 GS 430

Standard Features:

4.3-liter V8 engine with VVT-i
Revised headlamps, grille and rear combination lamps for sportier look
Meets Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (U-LEV) certification
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
New wheel design
Front and rear side-curtain airbags (SRS)3
Additional wood paneling
Compass
Water-repellent door glass
Lower rigid bar Child Restraint Seat (CRS) anchor
Larger exposed dual exhaust
Glass markings changed to "Lexus"
Fuel cap tether
Two front-assist grips
Occupant-detecting front passenger airbag cutoff mechanism
Impact-detecting door-lock release system
Optional Features:

New exterior colors: Black Cherry Pearl, Mystic Sea Opalescent, Midnight Pine Pearl and Blue Onyx Pearl replace Antique Bronze Mica, Imperial Jade Mica and Spectra Blue Mica
Mark Levinson® Premium Sound System
Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel with audio switches

============================================================================================
The GS 400 was introduced in 1998. The 1998 and 1999 GS models represent the second-generation GS and include both the GS 400 and 300. The first generation was based on the GS 300 only.

The second-generation GS, all new for 1998, has an entirely new exterior. The overall length has been reduced by six inches (150 mm) while the wheelbase is increased by 0.8 inches (20 mm). The body-side cladding is retained from the first generation, but the color is now monotone. UV- and infrared-cut green glass was adopted for all windows.

The new front end features four separate inboard multireflector headlamps with integrated turning signals behind a clear cover. The foglamps are located below the front bumper. The rear styling features a short deck lid, and four separate combination taillamps, a theme carried over from the headlamps. Unlike the LS 400, dual chrome-tipped exhaust pipes are retained. Both front and rear bumpers meet the tough federal 5-mph standard. The sporty rear spoiler is available as an option on the GS 400 only.

Improved aerodynamics result from revised airflow under the vehicle and around the tires.The new C-pillar design also improves straight-line steadiness. Furthermore, a 10% reduction in yaw inertia allows more responsiveness.

The outside mirror surfaces have been enlarged by 23% for improved field of rearward vision. The mirrors' heating elements have also been expanded for improved defrosting performance. Also, airflow around the mirrors has been revised for reduced wind noise.

New, sporty, five-spoke 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels are adopted, with optional 17-inch alloy wheels1 with unique five-spoke design.

The High-Intensity Discharge (HID), xenon-gas, low-beam headlamps with dynamic auto leveling have been made available as an option. The illumination of HID is about 2-3 times that of conventional halogen headlights, while power consumption is reduced by approximately 25%. Combined with yellow foglamps, the HID headlamps give the new GS a distinctive nighttime appearance.

The dynamic auto-leveling system helps keep the vertical aim of the HID headlamps consistent despite body movement resulting from acceleration, braking, passenger/cargo load, etc.

The new GS exterior exhibits an ideal blend of sportiness, elegance and luxury. The driver-oriented instrument panel has Lexus-style large audio controls that are easy to read and user-friendly.

Selected Standard Features

SAFETY EQUIPMENT

Vehicle Skid Control (VSC)2
Driver's and front passenger's airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)3
Front seat-mounted side-impact airbags (SRS)3
Three-point seatbelts, front and rear, fronts with height-adjustable anchors, pre-tensioners and force limiters
Strong cabin structure with front and rear crumple zones
Side-impact door beams
Collapsible steering column
Defoggers for outside rearview mirrors
Four-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Electrochromic inside and outside rearview mirrors
Vehicle theft-deterrent and engine immobilizer system, with in-key transponder
Variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle
Halogen headlamps with integrated foglamps
Automatic on/off headlamps
Rear-window defogger with auto-off timer
First aid kit
Tool kit
LUXURY & CONVENIENCE

Leather-trimmed seats and interior with Lexus Memory System to control power driver's seat (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel
Walnut wood interior trim
Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift ****
AM/FM/cassette seven-speaker 215-watt (max power) audio system with Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL)
Power windows with one-touch up and down, and pinch protection
Cruise control
Automatic dual-zone climate control with interior air filter, smog sensor and automatic recirculating mode
Outside temperature gauge
Multifunction remote entry system
Three-way programmable transmitter to activate garage door, driveway gate
Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column with automatic tilt-away
Multi-adjustable power front seats and headrests
Power door locks with driver's two-turn unlock feature
Remote trunk-lid and fuel-filler door releases
Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors
Sliding left and right sun visors
Dual front and rear cupholders
Illuminated entry system
Retained accessory power
Dual-compartment center console with accessory power outlet and Lexus Cellular Phone storage capability
Height adjustable headrests for all seats, including rear-center
Individual Options

Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close, pinch protection and sliding sunshade
In-dash, six-disc CD auto-changer
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with self-leveling system
Heated front seats
Lexus Navigation System4 (not available with Nakamichi option)
Lexus/Nakamichi 260-watt (max power) Premium Sound System (requires CD auto-changer, not available with Lexus Navigation System4, does not include Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL))
Lexus Chrome Wheels
All-season tires
Rear spoiler
17 x 8.0-in wheels with 235/45R17 Z-rated tires1
DIMENSIONS

Overall length 189.2 in
Width 70.9 in
Height 56.7 in
Wheelbase 110.2 in
Curb weight 3,690 lb
Fuel-tank capacity 19.8 gallons
ENGINE

90º V8, aluminum block and heads
Horsepower at rpm 300 hp @ 6,000
Torque at rpm 310 lb-ft @ 4,000
TRANSMISSION

Five-speed automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i). E-shift, with controls on steering wheel. Overdrive fifth gear, auto-select shift program, engine/transmission networking, flex-lockup torque converter
PERFORMANCE

0 - 60 mph acceleration 5.8 seconds5
1/4-mile acceleration 14.3 seconds6
Top track speed 149 mph6
Fuel economy 17/24 mpg city/highway7
Aerodynamic drag coefficient 0.29

============================================================================================
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-02, 03:18 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Xavier, JaySon just gave you the whole 9 yds. Practically speaking, for the 98, HIDs were optional but came on so many of the option packages that, for all intents and purposes, most GS4s will have them. As MAC mentioned, they have an auto-leveling feature which, when lamps are first turned on, causes them to dip and then re-level themselves (in daylight, the characteristic purple color is not nearly as apparent, but having a headlight move itself IS).

The GS430 does not have E-shift; many who have it like it and I tend to gate-shift since I don't (and also spent way more time with manuals than autos) but the trans actually shifts faster if left to it's own programming.

As far as Nav system, which is not available in cars with Nakamichi sound system, up to you.

Good luck; the GS is a tad livelier than your LS.
Old 02-15-02, 07:10 AM
BkInBlk
Rookie

Default Model Differences

Xavier,

If you go to the Lexus.com website and go to the certified pre-owned area, there is a feature which allows you to look at each model year and what came standard and what was an option. The HID's were clearly an option for '98. They are listed as an individual option by Lexus at this site. I was always under the impression that they bundled them in the "Premium Package" with the heated seats and sunroof. As someone said, the best way to tell is to pull the car up to a wall and turn on the headlights. You will see the lights dip and then come up. This is the self leveling feature that was factory installed. Most aftermarket installs won't have this feature due to the cost.

Just as an FYI, I looked for a while before I got my '99. The HID's were clearly a must. In addition, as the value of options on a used resale are minimal, it might be worthwhile to consider what other options are worth having, i.e., 17" chrome wheels/Nak or Nav - in '98 you can't have both, spoiler, etc.

Good luck shopping.
Old 02-15-02, 08:23 AM
Shogun
Driver

Default '98 HIDs w/o Nak or Nav

Gents,

FYI, I have a '98 without the Nak or Nav but do have HIDs. I believe HIDs may have been part of the upgrade to include either the 17" rims or the rear spoiler - both of which I have.

Finally, I do not have heated seats either.

Good Luck,
Eric
Old 02-15-02, 04:45 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

My cousin has a 98 with 17s no NAK or NAV and he doesn't have HIDs....I guess you get what you pay for!!!
Old 02-15-02, 10:15 PM
sleeper
Driver School Candidate

if your in Cali, you wont see a G4 without HID.
Old 02-16-02, 01:46 AM
Goods
Driver

I'm in cali ... and i have a '98 GS4, no Nak, no Nav, Spoiler, 17"'s, and NO HID =(

Car has always been a cali car.
Old 02-16-02, 05:57 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry

definatly not all GS400 comes with HID

i got mine gs400 without HID now i'm looking to put custome HID 8000k

it goin be even better then the one from factory install
Old 02-16-02, 10:56 AM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default hey thanx all

HID's i really really want the navi and nakamichi i rather not get, i plan putting my own system in it, and dont want to complicate things. i am in cali i found a couple GS4 for about 22-23 k, not bad huh, but no HID's. i want the HID's cuz i cant see at night as good as i like too.

i think ill love the GS more than my LS, the only thing i will miss is the air suspension on my LS, that is sweeeeet.

but let the search continue on my GS4.

thanx everyone one the info. if you remember anything esle let us know.
Old 02-16-02, 11:18 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

just get that gs400

and put your own HID!

8k HID cost just $500
4k-6k-7k - 300-450

Quick Reply: GS400 general question