GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-08, 03:47 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem?

Ok, so when i let off the gas and then hit is again real quick..(like in heavy traffic) sometimes i get a little jerk from right under me. the transmission shifts perfectly smooth..so what do you guys think this is?
just a clarification..the jerk does not occur during gear changes, and it does not affect the acceleration.
Old 08-30-08, 04:05 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
Ok, so when i let off the gas and then hit is again real quick..(like in heavy traffic) sometimes i get a little jerk from right under me. the transmission shifts perfectly smooth..so what do you guys think this is?
just a clarification..the jerk does not occur during gear changes, and it does not affect the acceleration.
sounds an awful lot like the car is just doing what you tell it to. i don't see a problem based on your description. Might be feeling the lag in the electronic throttle but thats about all i can think of.
Old 08-30-08, 04:23 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Possibly the transmission mount or motor mount is on its way out. That can cause some slop and play. When you give it gas, instead of transferring the torque instantly to the wheels...it has to flex first a little on the mount till it bottoms out then it moves the power out. Think of it as a circle with a stick in the middle. Normally the stick is encased in a solid rubber inside the circle, but when the mount goes bad...the rubber is gone. So the stick has to lean against the edge of the circle before power will go out the engine. Hope you can understand my explanation.
Old 08-30-08, 04:37 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

yea...i hadn't thought of that...i hope not...but sounds like that could be the problem.
Old 08-30-08, 05:25 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

sounds exactly what was happening in my car. it was a bad tranny mount couple bucks and 20 minutes later it was fixed.
Old 08-30-08, 05:34 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

is there any way to visually see if thats the problem?
Old 08-30-08, 06:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You can jack up the car and look at the tranny mount itself. A worn out tranny mount will be collapsed where metal will be touching metal. It's hard to explain, but if you can take a picture, we can probably tell you if it's still good or not.
Old 08-30-08, 07:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Actually, instead of gasing the engine right away, slowly accelerate. Does the engine wind up before it jerks?
Old 08-30-08, 07:46 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

yea, i would know if its worn out...i guess my question should have been can you see it without having to take apart half the car.. lol and it only does the jerk when im already moving.. so lets say im going 30...i let off..it starts to slow down, and then real quick i hit the gas (and not hard...its hard to explain...but i kind of just tap it...like you were going to hit it but just before you really press down on it something makes you stop) and then i get a jerk under the car (not hard or anything...and it does NOT affect the motion of the vehicle..so the car it self does not jerk..just something under me..) and this only happens sometimes...like i have to get it just right...from a stand still it is perfectly fine...even when flooring it...
Old 08-30-08, 07:49 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

unrelated to the other jerk...when i floor it from a stand still, first i hear the intake take a big gulp of air...the rps build..and then it finally kicks in...not a jerk really...just like delayed acceleration...this is normal right? (just from a stand still, and it gets to like 5mph before it kicks in)
Old 08-30-08, 08:14 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
unrelated to the other jerk...when i floor it from a stand still, first i hear the intake take a big gulp of air...the rps build..and then it finally kicks in...not a jerk really...just like delayed acceleration...this is normal right? (just from a stand still, and it gets to like 5mph before it kicks in)
yep, normal. such is the electronic throttle lag. this is what i thought you were talking about before.
Old 08-30-08, 08:28 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

yea..i thought so...just wanted to make sure...
Old 08-30-08, 09:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

You can inspect the transmission mount without having to take it out. Unlike other mounts, these mounts dont show too many visible cracks when they're worn. You'll know they're at the end of their life when you see something like this:

Look at the circle part and you'll see the metal from the top half of the mount touching the bottom half. Mine was nearly touching when I replaced mine.
Old 08-30-08, 09:25 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

thanks alot for the info
Old 08-30-08, 09:26 PM
humanoid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How easy is it to replace these tranny mounts? How many are there?

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem?