GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How much are you paying for an alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-02, 12:51 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much are you paying for an alignment?

Hey since so many of us have alignment problems, I was wondering how much you guys are paying and the warranty that the alignment has.

This shop in the bay area is asking for $170 for 4 wheels with only a 90 warranty, plus he's saying that I need to get a Camber kit.

What's your experience? And can someone recommend a good alignment shop in the Bay Area (east bay preferred)?
Old 02-15-02, 01:53 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Custom Alignment in Mtn View has been recommended by a few people. They are supposedly a little pricey, but specialize in performance cars and do a good job. I believe gsnav went there.

I go to Serramonte Lexus. They got a new Hunter last year, and actually did an alignment clinic at our CL meet in August. They're cheaper than your quote.

There is no camber kit available for our cars, but pls let us know if your happen to find one.
Old 02-15-02, 02:05 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

Originally posted by QBranchCars
Custom Alignment in Mtn View has been recommended by a few people. They are supposedly a little pricey, but specialize in performance cars and do a good job. I believe gsnav went there.

I go to Serramonte Lexus. They got a new Hunter last year, and actually did an alignment clinic at our CL meet in August. They're cheaper than your quote.

There is no camber kit available for our cars, but pls let us know if your happen to find one.
Thanks Calvin,
Yeah, actually that quote was from Custom Alignment. But I see some people here with lifetime warranty on their alignments... you know of a similar deal here in the bay area?
Old 02-15-02, 03:58 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

i can't believe i called 3 different dealerships and they gave me 3 different quotes!!!
Lexus of Pleasanton - 180
Fremont Lexus - 210
Serramonte - 150

what's with these quotes. i thought Lexus would have a standard of how much the services cost. i'm beginning to wonder if they are pull these numbers out of there you know what.
Old 02-15-02, 04:59 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

GSPOWER - I am one of those Custom Alignment fans. It comes from using them for around twenty years or so (ugh!). A lot has been made of the Hunter machine and it is definitely the equipment you want to have used but the machine is only as good as the guy using it. Just having the Hunter doesn't automatically guarantee getting rid of those annoying vibrations. When I first got "bimmeritis", the steering wheel vibration at around 55 to 70 or so (and Bob Strain, the original owner of Custom is the one who coined that term to me) they were the only ones who made it go away. And yes, it comes back every three or four thousand miles. I took the car into the BMW dealership numerous times before I understood that they didn't do the alignment but took it to the local Uniroyal dealership (not trying to flame Uniroyal so please don't start) and I think I just ended up getting a wall job. I am not running down lifetime alignments, I would love to get one, but first and foremost I want the balance and alignment done right, it saves a lot of time in the long run and that vibrating steering wheel is just really tiring. On internet boards you inevitably get bad input about everything, from various computer brands to obviously those notoriously unreliable Lexuses and never to be beaten bimmers but I am not sure I have seen negatives posted on Custom (other than price and to tell you the truth, with the prices you got at Lexus, I am not sure that Custom isn't a buy). As I recall, the $80 or $90 is for each end (and we need both ends aligned) so it adds up. I would encourage you to keep looking and pricing things out but if you get a problem someone else can't solve that is suspension, brake, alignment, balance related, I think you will be time and money ahead to go to Custom. Even though I am in San Jose, going to Mtn View isn't trivial because of the traffic but I make the trip for alignment and balance. Last time we took my wife's Maxima in I was convinced that it needed brakes but they checked and said we were fine for several months so you can also trust that they won't run the bill up. If they say it needs to be done, it probably does, and they will stand behind it. Didn't mean this to be the love letter it reads like but I wish I could find some other shops that were as competent as Custom and before anyone asks, I don't work there.
Old 02-15-02, 06:35 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

I am a big fan of custom alignment too, i hard from many people they are good, i have a lot of bimmer.org fans, anyways,they always got nice cars going out and in of their shops, they are awesome!!!!! That's where i got my wheels and tires put on along with alignment.
Old 02-15-02, 08:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally posted by GSPOWER
i can't believe i called 3 different dealerships and they gave me 3 different quotes!!!
Lexus of Pleasanton - 180
Fremont Lexus - 210
Serramonte - 150

what's with these quotes. i thought Lexus would have a standard of how much the services cost. i'm beginning to wonder if they are pull these numbers out of there you know what.
Those prices are ludicrous. My Lexus dealer charged $99 for 4 wheel, and Butler Tire (a local HIGH performance shop) does it for $80 I think.