GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need to Vent!! oil change nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 02:43 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need to Vent!! oil change nightmare

Maybe I'm overreacting but I feel like my engine has been tainted.
So I had the weekend from auto hell. Tried to install coilovers and after 3 trips to the store, didn't get it done. I did get some LED tails and clear markers installed but I can't get the pics off the SD card yet.

Last week I went to AutoZone and purchased a 5L jug of Mobil 1 Synthetic since the Toyota dealership here doesn't stock full Syn, dropped my car off this morning (I work across the street from the dealership) and got a call half hour later and they said that the oil I gave them was used and extremely dirty, the service tech noticed it as he was pouring it into my car!!!! So they drained that out and threw in their own standard oil.
I looked at the oil and it was the dirtiest crap I have ever seen.
I took the jug back to AutoZone and expressed my concern for my car's well-being (tried to be PC, haha) Somehow they had a jug that someone brought back in for recycling and the guy behind the counter went and grabbed that instead of a new one (DONT KNOW HOW!!)

As a precaution I'm going to get another oil change and put Mobil 1 back in in a few days and AutoZone is paying for it.

Has anyone else had something like this happen?
Old 09-08-08, 02:50 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. I'm surprised that you didn't catch that. I don't care who you are or how careful you are, if you use a container to put old oil into it, you're going to spill, making it not look new.

Plus, I change my own oil, and would have noticed as soon as I saw there was no protective seal.
Old 09-08-08, 02:59 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by McKrevice
No. I'm surprised that you didn't catch that. I don't care who you are or how careful you are, if you use a container to put old oil into it, you're going to spill, making it not look new.

Plus, I change my own oil, and would have noticed as soon as I saw there was no protective seal.
I was suprised too, whoever did it cleaned the bottle very well, and like I said, the employee at autozone grabbed it from the shelf for me, and I really have never thought it necessary to check the cap everytime I buy oil. I bought other things too so it was all in one bag.
I will probably change my own oil from now on. I'm just happy the service tech. noticed and didn't just leave it in my car.
Old 09-08-08, 03:01 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

you shouldn't need to check the cap. I buy all of my oil...mob 1 synth at Walmart.

Like you said, just change it yourself. Too many horror stories from people over such a simple job.
Old 09-08-08, 03:35 PM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

that is increadible man, I'll be so mad also I buy my mobil oil at walmart too and a friend of mine owns a service station, I just use he's car lift for like 20mins and do it myself.
Old 09-08-08, 04:03 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unbelievable!!

Well....maybe the broken seal/tab at the top of the container is clear indication its been opened before.
Old 09-08-08, 04:13 PM
GCOP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
Unbelievable!!

Well....maybe the broken seal/tab at the top of the container is clear indication its been opened before.
yep.....I have to say, I would bbe PISSED, but, if you did not start the car, then your chances of really having something hurt are minimal. ...and prolly whoever took the time to actually recycle oil, changes theirs regularly. I think you are smart to do another oil change in a short time, then go with the M1. Good luck...!
Old 09-08-08, 05:39 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PHML
Unbelievable!!

I know it sounds stupid, but when I went back to AutoZone I checked another jug and its actually not obvious if the seal is broken, you have to unscrew it about 3 turns before you can really tell if the seal is still there.

ANYways, thanks guys, I'm almost over it already, time to get on with life, haha
Old 09-08-08, 08:06 PM
kit cat

damn...thats a new scam...
Old 09-08-08, 08:53 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

thats scary. I always check to make sure the seal is intact slid my finger nail along the edge is a quick way to check if its still intact.
Old 09-08-08, 09:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice

It is possible to put the used oil back in without spilling. I use a funnel to fill my oil so I don't spill a single drop (Well, usually at least) on my engine. Shouldn't be too hard to use a funnel to put oil back into a container. However, I always check the cap to make sure the seal is not broken as I don't want an oil spill in my car so the open cap would have been a tip off for me.

To the OP, sorry for all the headache. At least they will pay for the second oil change and you didn't actually drive around with that dirty used oil in your engine.
Old 09-08-08, 09:15 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

A nightmare would be if they didn't put oil in at all. This was more of a night cramp.

Glad to hear AZ is taking care of you.
Old 09-09-08, 02:03 PM
pwesseler
Pit Crew

I too buy my oil at walmart, definately cheaper.

Do any of you guys run the 0w30 syn from Mobil? I'm thinking of using it.
Old 09-09-08, 06:01 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just logged in to say that's f'ed up. honestly who knows wtf was in that container. I'd be pissed!

I'm super **** and check the seals before I buy the oil, that I put in my self with an oem filter(the good ones that toyota discontinued to US-available from Carson).
Old 09-09-08, 07:01 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just consider your self one of the lucky ones.

I once had some douche snap my serpentine belt, disconnect my HIDs, and manage to fry three of my fuses, all in one job... changing my oil..... This was at Strauss Auto btw... they suck.

Quick Reply: Need to Vent!! oil change nightmare