GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New LED Tails

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 06:46 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-10-08, 07:18 AM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rl9010
I thought Junction Produce were just relabeled sonar's....So your sonar lights are jp! JP?
might be, becuase mine say Made by Sonar on them! JP lol
Old 09-10-08, 09:18 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was looking for Sonars initially but couldn't find any. Overall, I'm happy with what I got for the price I paid. I was really just in a hurry to get those fugly OEM tails out, haha. Maybe next spring I'll look into somethin' else.
Old 09-10-08, 02:53 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Socal and sicklex

They have the LED signals i have seen them posted on the 2gs section prior
Old 09-10-08, 06:58 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got the Sonar's too and IMO they're pretty bright, seem to be on par with most car's with OEM LED's.

The JP tails have the thin turn signal at the bottom while the Sonar's have a thicker clear strip; there is some kind of connection there though, was JP selling Sonar-made tails at one point or are the JP's manufactured by Sonar? Something like that, I don't remember for sure. When I researched before I bought, the JPs and Sonars were the hands down choices for quality and reliability, alot of problems with various tails off Ebay, they seem to be really hit or miss although I'll admit I like the thin clear look better.

Sick, from what I read the easiest way to get rid of the dash light is to pull the bulb, people said it takes about 3 minutes, pop off the dash trim and pull the offending bulb. I never had to figure out exactly what to do since mine had resistors for everything; but the exact instructions are out there somewhere.
Old 09-10-08, 09:38 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JP was using Sonar tails for their LED tails, that's all. The original JP non LED ones are by Toyota themselves I think.
Old 09-10-08, 09:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BippuPxr
Socal and sicklex

They have the LED signals i have seen them posted on the 2gs section prior
Thank u, got a link?
Old 09-30-08, 09:18 PM
m32
Intermediate

Anyone tell me how I can see which LED tails on ebay right now are made by Sonar?

Edwin
Old 10-01-08, 01:50 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I dont see how Sonar can be JP.. Heres a link for a full set of 4 by Sonar for $99 shipped!? how could they be the same as the $880 ones from JP?

http://www.speed-element.com/servlet/Detail?no=356
Old 10-01-08, 02:27 AM
Jewel707
Pole Position

^ i think those are only for the inner trunk lights?
Old 10-01-08, 04:19 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewel707
^ i think those are only for the inner trunk lights?
AHHHhhaa... thats what they ment by "does NOT include larger lights as shown"

morons its not hard to say, "does NOT include outer lights as shown"
Old 10-01-08, 10:44 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

You pay the big money for the JP name and the generally more desireable thin turn signal at the bottom. I'm sure Sonar has an agreement with JP not to sell the exact tails they use un-branded for cheaper.

I paid about $260 for my Sonar's and I'm happy with them; if I had money to burn I'd get some JP's since I do like the thin clear but the Sonar's are perfect for my budget and people generally seem to have years of trouble free performance.
Old 10-01-08, 09:32 PM
burma
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
I've got the Sonar's too and IMO they're pretty bright, seem to be on par with most car's with OEM LED's.

The JP tails have the thin turn signal at the bottom while the Sonar's have a thicker clear strip; there is some kind of connection there though, was JP selling Sonar-made tails at one point or are the JP's manufactured by Sonar? Something like that, I don't remember for sure. When I researched before I bought, the JPs and Sonars were the hands down choices for quality and reliability, alot of problems with various tails off Ebay, they seem to be really hit or miss although I'll admit I like the thin clear look better.

Sick, from what I read the easiest way to get rid of the dash light is to pull the bulb, people said it takes about 3 minutes, pop off the dash trim and pull the offending bulb. I never had to figure out exactly what to do since mine had resistors for everything; but the exact instructions are out there somewhere.
Hey I just got my L.E.Ds also from EBay and they are fine, really bright and match with the trunk lights.
I also have the dash light icon on and by removing the offending bulb on the dash it is not going to cause any issues right? What about just not doing anything ie leaving that icon on the dash screen, it should be fine right.

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img508/dsc00046qg8.jpg/1/][IMG]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/dsc00046qg8.jpg/1/w640
Old 10-01-08, 11:03 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

The light on the dash won't hurt anything, I'd find it very annoying though.

I don't see anything that could be harmed by removing the bulb, I'd search this forum for more details from the people who've done this just to make sure you don't break anything in the process but removing the bulb itself is pretty harmless. Any time you switch the tails like that you'll probably lose the function of the warning light so you won't know if a bulb is out so it might be a good idea to check them out once in a while.
Old 10-02-08, 05:03 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
The light on the dash won't hurt anything, I'd find it very annoying though.

I don't see anything that could be harmed by removing the bulb, I'd search this forum for more details from the people who've done this just to make sure you don't break anything in the process but removing the bulb itself is pretty harmless. Any time you switch the tails like that you'll probably lose the function of the warning light so you won't know if a bulb is out so it might be a good idea to check them out once in a while.
I've had mine for about a month, and the warning light is getting annoying, haha but no real problems.
I'm just too lazy to figure out what kind of resistor I need to resolve it.

Quick Reply: New LED Tails