GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New LED Tails

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 06:57 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New LED Tails

Sorry for the crappy pic, but I wanted to get this up. I just installed these this past weekend. I got them from M1 (CL vendor) They look like decent quality, fitment is about as good as aftermarket can get. I didn't notice this before I got them but the pattern kinda matches the inner light shape so it looks like it belongs.
The only complaint is that the LEDs are not as bright as I would like. I still have the stock inner lights which are pretty bright so I'm not worried about getting tickets, but just something to be aware of for those of you looking to get these. The smoked lower section also causes the reverse light to be less bright than stock. Also, I had to buy yellow bulbs to have legal turn signals, the stock '98 assembly uses a clear bulb in a yellow lens.

There is one extra bulb that is not used so when i take that bulb out my "light out" indicator comes on. I dont want to leave the bulb in because its close to some soldering on the LED circuit board. Is there a fix for this?
Attached Thumbnails New LED Tails-gs4-led1mod.jpg  
Old 09-09-08, 07:05 PM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good, put more pics!
Old 09-09-08, 07:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How come cars with OEM leds are so much brighter than aftermarket?
Old 09-09-08, 07:14 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
it's the LED's they use. They can afford to use somewhat more expensive LED's since they get quantity discounts, and they can have the manufacturers build LED's that are specific to their application's specs, mainly voltage, which determines the compatibility of the LEDs as a whole.

You could change them out, it'd just be a pain in the ***. The aftermarket guys just try to use the bare minimum that'll work so that they can make more profit.

to the OP, as far as your light out indicator you need to use a resistor. Your tails should have come with them but if not you should be able to find some either on ebay or on here.
Old 09-09-08, 07:16 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think it's the type of LED maybe. I noticed that the LEDs are brightest when you look at them straight-on, like they are almost directional. I'm sure OEM LED tails are typically priced double what you end up paying on Ebay.
Old 09-09-08, 07:20 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MJImport
I think it's the type of LED maybe. I noticed that the LEDs are brightest when you look at them straight-on, like they are almost directional. I'm sure OEM LED tails are typically priced double what you end up paying on Ebay.
+1 even though they cost the manufacturer half as much to make.
Old 09-09-08, 07:48 PM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

mine came with resistors, and im not complaining about the light output that my leds put out. i think they are perfect, mine are Made by Sonar, i think they are the best for aftermarket led tail lights you can get other than Junction Produce.
Pic of my led tails:
Old 09-09-08, 09:10 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine, I'm on the thin clear.

I broke 2 of the connections on the bulb so it doesn't light up when I have my light on, they only come on when I brake.

IMO its much better than having the inners on all the time.

Quality's good, LED's very bright if you look from behind as that's how the inside of the tail is designed.....
Attached Thumbnails New LED Tails-picture-16403.jpg  
Old 09-09-08, 09:17 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I also have the Sonars and like them quite a bit.

It's silly that LED tails don't have LED turn signals.
I don't know of any for the GS that do.
Old 09-09-08, 09:58 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

congrats on the pick up
Old 09-09-08, 10:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I also have the Sonars and like them quite a bit.

It's silly that LED tails don't have LED turn signals.
I don't know of any for the GS that do.
Yeah, that is silly. Can we get LED turn signals?

I don't have issues with my light output my my #(#$()()# light is on inside my 430 and I just haven't done the reading here to figure it out.
Old 09-09-08, 10:24 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GS430V8
mine came with resistors, and im not complaining about the light output that my leds put out. i think they are perfect, mine are Made by Sonar, i think they are the best for aftermarket led tail lights you can get other than Junction Produce.
Pic of my led tails:
I thought Junction Produce were just relabeled sonar's....So your sonar lights are jp! JP?
Old 09-09-08, 11:47 PM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am actually working on the turn signal idea... What I think to be a good idea is when the turn signal is activated and you are on the brake... the whole light will blink from the bright (when brake is pressed) to the normal when your headlights are on (and you are not applying the brake) and when the headlights are off and the light is off, just have the lights go from bright to off and so on... I have the Sonar tails and I absolutely love them, that is just something that seems to be missing... What does everyone think? Or should I have it alternate in a different pattern with the inner lights. give me some ideas for this weekend.. maybe I can do a write-up on how to do it

-Joe
Old 09-10-08, 01:38 AM
EuroLex
Driver School Candidate

Does your inners work as brakelights? Mine just work as (foglights??) so I never use them. Does anybody knows how to reconnect them so they work as breakligts?
Old 09-10-08, 05:54 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats really odd... What kind of lights do you have? JP, Sonar, OEM?

-Joe

Quick Reply: New LED Tails