GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What does one expect to pay to...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 10:18 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What does one expect to pay to...

...lightly drop their 02 GS4? I want a lightly lowered look that doesn't sacrifice ride quality on the stock 17s. Which options are more and less expensive?

Visually speaking, I really like what Kyle did: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=378080

Also, is it advisable to change up the stock struts and shocks when putting on new springs? Will it wear out the stock shocks / struts any faster than normal?

On the otherhand, what about swapping in the L-tuned struts / shocks (I know they're nearly impossible to get now, but weren't they Bilsteins?) and leaving the factory springs in place? Is that an advisable route?

My only experience with a lowered car was my Acura CL-S. Terrible ride quality on stock shocks and CompTech springs versus factory. Am I going to be disappointed if I lower my GS4?!

Thanks for helping a long time noob!
Old 09-09-08, 10:58 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tanabe df210s is the "lightest" drop i would consider
Old 09-09-08, 11:05 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

welcome to CL; again, a lucky one catching me on a kind night

1. more costly = coilovers
2. less costly = s/s combo
3. yes, it's highly suggested to always swap the struts as well; thought a little less worry if you're swapping eibach's or NFs (basically something with minimal drop = 1" only)
4. iirc, could be wrong (its been awhile), l-tuned = kyb
5. that link, the guy is on tanabe DF springs. they are considered one of the most aggressive dropping springs (also, espelir and daizen). DFs are not considered a 'lightly' drop set.

Originally Posted by 4play4dr
tanabe df210s is the "lightest" drop i would consider
OP, be careful of 4play4dr he's wickedly slammed. he's infamous for cutting his DFs...had to have been one of the lowest 2GS on s/s combo...though he cheated! LOL (but check out his car now...sickly wicked )
Old 09-10-08, 07:20 AM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think Tanabe DF210s and KYB shocks is the cheapest and nicest drop you can get.
Old 09-10-08, 06:27 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
...lightly drop their 02 GS4? I want a lightly lowered look that doesn't sacrifice ride quality on the stock 17s. Which options are more and less expensive?

Visually speaking, I really like what Kyle did: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=378080

Also, is it advisable to change up the stock struts and shocks when putting on new springs? Will it wear out the stock shocks / struts any faster than normal?

On the otherhand, what about swapping in the L-tuned struts / shocks (I know they're nearly impossible to get now, but weren't they Bilsteins?) and leaving the factory springs in place? Is that an advisable route?

My only experience with a lowered car was my Acura CL-S. Terrible ride quality on stock shocks and CompTech springs versus factory. Am I going to be disappointed if I lower my GS4?!

Thanks for helping a long time noob!
That isn't my car, but I answered your PM with my experience with the DF210's and stock shocks like the OP in that thread, I'm not on the factory wheels though. Just a few thoughts after reading the post here. The DF's aren't what most would consider a "light" drop, although it's not "extreme" either by air and coilover standards. With 20's I can still drive pretty normally and I've only scraped the front bumper once, never bottomed out anything else; you just gotta be aware and slow down for speedbumps, angle up steep inclines, you know. It's still very driveable. The body would sit just a little lower on the stock 17's, but shouldn't be too bad.
Old 09-10-08, 09:46 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
welcome to CL; again, a lucky one catching me on a kind night
for always being so nice, well most of the time

Oh yeah, how come it's taking you longer to rotate the avatar pic?

Last edited by GS FONZy; 09-10-08 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Avatar question = )
Old 09-12-08, 11:39 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty sure my front passenger strut is shot, so I expect to be doing some replacements shortly. As long as I'm at it, I'd like to get the car a bit lower. NOT aggressive, but the factory 4WD look is no good.

I like the idea of L-tuned / KYBs. Will just new shocks and struts lower the car so I don't have to replace the springs, too?!

If new springs and shocks / struts are the only way to get the lightly dropped look, what's less of a drop than the DFs? I value ride quality more than looks.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 09-12-08, 11:55 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

non-agressive springs: eibach's, NFs, or l-tuned (if you can find em). didnt list tein since i'm not a fan of theirs-personal preference.

shocks: kyb to maintain decent ride