GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: what's your opinion about navigation system
I have a NAVI in my car and I love it!
55.59%
I have a NAVI in my car but I don't use it at all or much.
4.75%
I don't have a NAVI in my car.
28.49%
I don't have it and I don't see a need for it.
11.17%
What's navigation system?
0%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-03 | 02:12 PM
schu
Rookie

I wanted the nav system because I am a Realtor. I am having a little trouble learning to "trust" it - something about being in a machine that knows where I'm going even though I don't.

One problem is the lack of updates. When showing homes in new areas, I find myself 'off mapping' - adrift in the beige. And then I do have to get out my trusty MapsCo guide. But I can mark a location once there, and get back to it if necessary.

Friends drove their new Lexus convertible from St Louis to San Diego without a map - just the nav.

I refer to mine as "She Who Must Be Obeyed" (from the Rumpel series).
Old 01-01-03 | 07:32 PM
gs4304u
Rookie

I love the Nav in my GS430. Help me out alot when I first moved to Houston.
Old 01-01-03 | 08:34 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

I wanted navigation when I got my first GS300, a 1999 model but I didn't want to wait for a dealer to special order it since none of them were being shipped to the east coast with that option.

When I was looking to get my 2002 SportDesign, I insisted that it have navigation and I'm so glad I did. I never thought I'd use it as much as I have. Even for places that I goto on a regular basis, I use it to give me alternative routes since there is so much traffic and construction in NY that I'm always looking for alternate routes. Plus I've been using the points of interests quite a bit but the database isn't as complete as I'd expect and it's not that new places have opened since the DVD was created, these are places that have been in existance for a while but they are not in the database. The other day I was in Manhattan and I needed a gas station and there aren't that many in Manhattan and it helped me find one. I highly recommend it to anybody that's getting a new Lexus and can afford the option.

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 01-02-03 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-02-03 | 03:32 AM
JeromeBaker
Rookie

Default Navi all the way baby

Yeah I have a 1999 GS 300 w/ No Navi. I was very sad after I didn't buy it with Navi. So when i bought my 2002 GS430 I decided to spring for it. It's usefull, but like someone said.. it's best features

1) people think it's really cool
2) chicks dig it.
3) I feel special

hehe
Check out the pics in the members Gallery.
Old 01-02-03 | 12:19 PM
SCamp
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Well I couldn't disagree more. Even on completely familiar routes home for example I'll ask it to guide me there (I usually turn off the voice guidance in this case) just so I can see how far I have to go. Even in familiar territory I might not know ALL the restaurants and I'll turn them on the map and pick a few and see if one I don't know sounds interesting.
...Add circumventing traffic jams, finding gas stations, restaurant locations, and not needing directions to homes in the suburbs...

What can I say? Obviously, your milage does vary - go for it. But I will add that most of us have limited resources and must make choices. Having the NAV unit means giving up something else.

So, what are you giving up for an interactive map in your car? The NAV is fun, cute, entertaining, frequently useful... but worth the price of airfare to Europe for you and your SO, or a piece of contemporary art, or 20 dinners out, or upgraded suspension, or whatever it is that you would spend the savings on? I have a hard time accepting that, but certainly don't care if somebody else thinks that's a reasonable trade. Your money & life, spend it how you think best.
Old 01-02-03 | 04:03 PM
scrim67
Rookie

I just bought a '98 gs 300/navi

ever since I used a navi on a rental car last year I promised myself my next car would have it.

I drove the car home to NJ from NC and it said it would take 8 hours...little did I know at the time I could adjust my "set speed" to make this more accurate (I drive 80mph not 55 on the freeway!!)

i live in a new subdivision built from 1998-2000 so when I'm driving within my development the screen just shows a "black hole". however, I have already "marked" my house so I can find my way home when necessary.

I also like that with the navi you have a trip computer that shows your average mileage, cruising range, etc. I wish that I could control the radio and climate with old fashioned buttons or from the steering wheel but I guess that'll wait a few years when I buy a '01 GS 430.

I have yet to read the navi manual so I'm looking forward to the meaning of "set way point" and other tricks.

I touched a button and it said my software is updated as of september 2000. Does anyone know if/when there is an update I can get as I have a feeling my subdivision will be included in that update. I test drove a 2003 ES recently and it did recognize my address so I figure an update will include my address.

Any idea how much the update might cost?

Feel free to share any tips or tricks concerning the NAV.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

scrim
'98 gs 300 alpine silver 92k
Old 01-02-03 | 04:20 PM
jefe
Rookie

i prefer to learn the territory. even if i do get lost, it's fun. i love the way my GS interior looks without the navi: simple and clean.
Old 01-02-03 | 05:13 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Originally posted by scrim67
I touched a button and it said my software is updated as of september 2000. Does anyone know if/when there is an update I can get as I have a feeling my subdivision will be included in that update. I test drove a 2003 ES recently and it did recognize my address so I figure an update will include my address.

Any idea how much the update might cost?
Somebody told me that you can call Lexus customer service to get a free update CD or DVD for your navigation system but I haven't tried yet. You'll need the CD because you have the CD based system. You can buy the CD but I don't think it's cheap. If the customer service option doesn't work, you might want to contact one or more of the ClubLexus vendors to see how much they can get it for you.
Old 01-02-03 | 05:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

No guarantees about getting a free update - Lexus was all over the map with that one. Since his is a '98 and he has a 2000 map it looks like it already had an upgrade so he might not get another free.

On my 2000 GS400 I bought one upgrade (from '99 to '00) and got one free because I ran into a bug in the nav system (from '00 to '01). The one I paid for cost $250 I think. Worth every penny if you like the nav. The maps were better, the software was better, the POI was more up to date, etc.

I didn't get the '02 upgrade yet - I might wait until the '03 one in September.
Old 01-02-03 | 10:02 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Sam Khoury

Somebody told me that you can call Lexus customer service to get a free update CD or DVD for your navigation system but I haven't tried yet. You'll need the CD because you have the CD based system. You can buy the CD but I don't think it's cheap. If the customer service option doesn't work, you might want to contact one or more of the ClubLexus vendors to see how much they can get it for you.
FYI, this is a Lexus, not an Infiniti. All 98 to 00 Lexus Nav systems are hard drive based, not CD based. They will have to upgrade the internal nav hard drive.

Benefits of the HD based system over the CD based system is the HD has the entire US on one map, where CD based systems need to swap CD's. Of course, the 01 and newer DVD based systems kick ***...
Old 01-02-03 | 11:52 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Originally posted by theanimala

FYI, this is a Lexus, not an Infiniti. All 98 to 00 Lexus Nav systems are hard drive based, not CD based. They will have to upgrade the internal nav hard drive.

Benefits of the HD based system over the CD based system is the HD has the entire US on one map, where CD based systems need to swap CD's. Of course, the 01 and newer DVD based systems kick ***...
But for the 98-00 Lexus Nav systems, I thought you have to load the updates to the hard drive from a CD-ROM?

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 01-02-03 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-03-03 | 10:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Sam Khoury
But for the 98-00 Lexus Nav systems, I thought you have to load the updates to the hard drive from a CD-ROM?
The dealer just swaps out the hard drive and sends the old one back to Lexus for reprogramming.
Old 01-03-03 | 11:13 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

i got my GS without the navi and am regretting it everday since i got my car. But now i am reluctant to go to the dealer and fork up 10k for a navi when an aftermarket one will run me so much less. However, if i do get a aftermarket one its going to have to have a custom panel made and all the ones i have looked at are single din leaving alot of space if the screen was closed which is visually unaesthetic to me. Also even if u find one that is a double din that you like u still have all that extra room on to the left and right of the head unit since aftremarket headunits are narrower then our stock units. So now i dunno wat i want to do, but i really want a nav since im always stuck in traffic commuting down in the LA area everyday. Anyone have any recommendations?

Boris
Old 01-03-03 | 04:22 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Sleepyboi
i got my GS without the navi and am regretting it everday since i got my car. But now i am reluctant to go to the dealer and fork up 10k for a navi when an aftermarket one will run me so much less. However, if i do get a aftermarket one its going to have to have a custom panel made and all the ones i have looked at are single din leaving alot of space if the screen was closed which is visually unaesthetic to me. Also even if u find one that is a double din that you like u still have all that extra room on to the left and right of the head unit since aftremarket headunits are narrower then our stock units. So now i dunno wat i want to do, but i really want a nav since im always stuck in traffic commuting down in the LA area everyday. Anyone have any recommendations?

Boris
I would post this question in the Lexus Electronics forum if you haven't done that already. The guys that frequent that forum seem to know a lot about after market navigation/stereo units. Here's a link to the forum.

ClubLexus Forums - Lexus Electronics
Old 01-03-03 | 08:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Sleepyboi
i got my GS without the navi and am regretting it everday since i got my car. But now i am reluctant to go to the dealer and fork up 10k for a navi when an aftermarket one will run me so much less.
No way I'd fork over 10K - you might as well trade in your car and get another one with navi!

Quick Reply: Navigation System