GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: what's your opinion about navigation system
I have a NAVI in my car and I love it!
55.59%
I have a NAVI in my car but I don't use it at all or much.
4.75%
I don't have a NAVI in my car.
28.49%
I don't have it and I don't see a need for it.
11.17%
What's navigation system?
0%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-03, 07:33 AM
TXLeXTC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a number of stand alone monitors available out there. alpine and pioneer both make seperate screens for nav systems. the down side is these cant function as your head unit, so if you are planning on putting the screen in the factory area, you will need some other setup for your radio and cd....
Old 08-03-03, 07:23 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just like it when the girls push my buttons
Old 08-05-03, 12:43 PM
2g4u2c
Driver School Candidate

I have the Factory Navigation in my car and I can basically say its useless here (in Hawaii). Its based on the older, non-DVD type of GPS and its not upgradeable for areas that are not on the original program. It is kind of a pain to always have to poke at the screen but just the fact that it looks great sets it apart. Because honestly, there are slim numbers of Lexus models that have Navi here.
Old 08-05-03, 02:58 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default navi

have the pioneer navigation in my gs and i love using it, the voice command is accurate and the actual directions help alot. very nice to have when traveling.
Old 09-14-03, 01:37 PM
darkhorse
Driver School Candidate

Default don't have it

Yeah I don't have NAV and I didn't care when I bought the GS. In fact I didn't want anything detracting from the driving experience so I was leaning away from it.

That said, it's like most things, I think if I did have it I would use it. I just think I'd use it 10% of my total driving time and the value add to my driving experience would probably be small relative to say my audio system or e-shift functions or handling upgrades etc.

But I'd have to have it first and then do a statistical regression analysis based on the empirical evidence to say so conclusively.

NAV is cool looking though no doubt abouddit...............

Paul

99 GS400 BLACK ON BLACK
Old 09-17-03, 01:02 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by TXLeXTC
There are a number of stand alone monitors available out there. alpine and pioneer both make seperate screens for nav systems. the down side is these cant function as your head unit, so if you are planning on putting the screen in the factory area, you will need some other setup for your radio and cd....
In my case my Pioneer monitor IS the main control for my A/V master controller (i.e. head unit) Everything is controlled via remote utilizing the IR eye built into the screen and optional voice activation. CD, DVD, NAV, Reverse Camera, XM/AM/FM . It's all there. I have two separate DVD and NAV units in the glove compartment replacing the stock changer location. I can navigate AND watch movies at the same time. You can't do this if you only have the NAV unit.

Guess what, with all the sources I have to play with, I have enjoyed using the NAV more than anything else.

For more info GO TO: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=flush+monitor
Attached Thumbnails Navigation System-ful-view.jpg  

Last edited by RMMGS4; 09-17-03 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-13-03, 10:23 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have it and I don't see a need for it.

I use MapQuest before going somewhere I haven't been before; but I will be installing a DVD system and hooking up a modded XBOX. I guess a DVD/NAVi combo wouldn't be too bad. Any notes on reliability becuase I get lost trying to use MapQuest ALL THE TIME!!!! Mapquest doesn't always take into consideration that there are thousands of 1 way streets here in SF.

BTW: Nice system RMMGS, congratulations on getting your car featured

Last edited by TwentyTen; 10-13-03 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 10:52 PM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by Darius2004
Mapquest doesn't always take into consideration that there are thousands of 1 way streets here in SF.
When I went to Santa Barbara the Nav took me on the strangest routes going right , right, left, right, right , right. I later realized that many streets were one way and no left turn.

When I do miss a street the nav just re-calculates a new route. U turns aren't neccessary. Also on LA freeways, the NAV tells me exactly what lane to be in when I go through a maze.

Lastly, my driving experience is so much more enjoyable, because I know longer concentrate on where I am going or what street sign to look for. Nav will just mute my audio and say " 2 tenths of a mile, turn right" . People ask me how I got somewhere and I don't even know what to say, cause I no longer care about observing landmarks or street names.

BTW: Nice system RMMGS, congratulations on getting your car featured [/QUOTE]
Thanks !

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-13-03 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 11:25 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks RMMGS4 - that's valuable feedback, you may have single handedly changed my mind.... Do all NAV system worlk that way - excuse my naivete, I've never used a NAV system.
Old 10-13-03, 11:32 PM
RMMGS4

I can only speak for the Pioneer Nav myself.

Another note, the Mapquest thing almost ruined my marriage with the wifey working as co-pilot.

My wife refuses to buy a car w/o having nav now, in fact she is getting the latest touch screen version installed in her new car as we speak.

Thanks Pioneer !
Old 10-14-03, 07:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4
People ask me how I got somewhere and I don't even know what to say, cause I no longer care about observing landmarks or street names.
HAHA - I can so relate. When I go downtown Atlanta and I need to get out, I just click 'Home' (get me the hell out of here!) and I just follow the prompts, having NO idea where I'm going.

Nav becomes like a blanket. It's great!
Old 10-14-03, 10:36 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the '01 style nav in my car and I would say I love it. I know there are many aftermarket systems out there at the publics reach which have amazing capabilities (i.e. RMMGS4's car, btw congrats on being Octobers car of the month) but the things I like most with having the stock LEXUS NAV is that it has the capability to track your gas mileage (how many miles more you can go on your tank), track your MPG and how much gas you are consuming depending on speed (this feature is absolutely invaluable, just ask CL member,non-naved gs4 Threxx, who just by coincidence ran out of gas in his car and posted his frustrations a few days ago *btw sorry to read about that, that sucks), you can set your maintenance on it according to miles (when to rotate tires, when to change oil) etc.

I know that what I am saying doesnt have to do with the "navigating" part of the nav system which dont get me wrong, is great, but there is more to the LEXUS nav then just well....navigating.

Im not sure if other navigation systems can track your cars GAS and do such things as Maintenence records etc etc etc, but from what I've seen I dont think they can? Anyhow the LEXUS NAV, 01+ model gets my vote: USER FRIENDLY
Old 10-14-03, 11:08 AM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by PandaGS430
I have the '01 style nav in my car and I would say I love it. . . . i.e. RMMGS4's car, btw congrats on being Octobers car of the month) but the things I like most with having the stock LEXUS NAV is that it has the capability to track your gas mileage . . .
Thanks PandaGS430

I agree completely that the Lexus Nav is one of the best factory systems. I only convinced my wife not to get factory nav in her Lex, because she wanted to play DVD's on the screen, etc. and the new Pioneer touch screen version just came out, which was one of the key "factory" features missing in my old model. I tried to swap my old system in her car so I could get the touch screen but she said NO DICE.
Old 01-08-04, 06:01 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Navi's the best! Once you have it, you'll never want another car without
it!!! I have the Pioneer and love it. I would've settled for the factory but didn't come
with it at the time.
Old 01-19-04, 03:41 PM
jboy
Driver

I love my nav system. We named it Ping because of the sounds it makes.

We also have a BMW with a nav system and the one in the Lexus is far superior. The Lexus unit is faster, more accurate, and has never sent me backwards.

jerry

Quick Reply: Navigation System