GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08 | 12:27 PM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Default Starting Issues

I've been haivng sometimeish starting issues for the last few days now. Sometimes when I turn the key, I can hear a click, but nothing happens. Other times, the car just fires right up with no delay or strugle. All electronics work, but the car wont crank. The battery is farely new as I bought it in Jan. I checked anyway with my DMM and got a reading of 12v with key off, and 11.4 when trying to start the car. This morning I even had somebody crank the key while I hammered the started just incase it was a starter issue, and nothing. I disconnected the battery for a little, connected it back, and the car started right up. I can not figure out what on earth the issue is, but there's no consistancy. Hot or cold doesn't matter as the issue happened once mid day yesterday (90+ degrees) and late last night (70/80 degrees).

Any suggestions? I'm wondering if it is the computer, but I have no way to check to know if it is.
Old 09-14-08 | 01:05 PM
chrispy

If it's a single click, it's probably the starter. It might be on it's way out.
Old 09-14-08 | 01:33 PM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrispy
If it's a single click, it's probably the starter. It might be on it's way out.
Hmm....tell me somehting. How and why would a car make multiple clicks? And also, if it's the started, wouldn't it respond when I hammered and cranked the car at the same time?
Old 09-14-08 | 01:44 PM
chrispy

If it makes multiple clicks, the starter works and it's probably the battery not having enough power to start the car. I had my starter replaced on my GS400 before and those were the same symptoms I had before.
Old 09-14-08 | 02:05 PM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrispy
If it makes multiple clicks, the starter works and it's probably the battery not having enough power to start the car. I had my starter replaced on my GS400 before and those were the same symptoms I had before.
It can't be the battery. If it was, the car wouldn't start sometimes. It should never start. Did you ever try the knocking the starter technique when you had your issues. To my knowledge, that's a good way to test for starter issues.
Old 09-14-08 | 04:18 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

It's a very common issue for Toyota V8 starters. It seems to affect the GS more than the other Lexus. If its a single click, and then silence then it's the starter. If it's clicking rapidly then the battery is low. The one click of death syndrome is something that you will for a little while and shortly after that the starter completely refuses to work at all. It seems you're somewhat mechanically inclined. Changing out the starter on the V8 is not rocket science, it just takes a while to do since you have to pull off the whole intake manifold. You can pick up a remanufactured starter with lifetime warranty from Autozone for around $75.
Old 09-14-08 | 05:16 PM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
It's a very common issue for Toyota V8 starters. It seems to affect the GS more than the other Lexus. If its a single click, and then silence then it's the starter. If it's clicking rapidly then the battery is low. The one click of death syndrome is something that you will for a little while and shortly after that the starter completely refuses to work at all. It seems you're somewhat mechanically inclined. Changing out the starter on the V8 is not rocket science, it just takes a while to do since you have to pull off the whole intake manifold. You can pick up a remanufactured starter with lifetime warranty from Autozone for around $75.
Thanks! By the way, I drive a 300, so no V8. Answer me this though....shouldn't the hammering thing work on a failing starter? Last time I had starter issues, I hammered the starter and the car turned over and fired right up. That was in Dec. The metal contact in the starter was warn and burned out, so I changed it with another one (though used), and put back in the same starter. Worked like a charm. I doubt the contact could be warn again, but who knows. It hasn't even been a year yet.
Old 09-14-08 | 05:20 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
sounds like your starter, mine started to act up last year around this time.

edit: nm, you drive a GS300.
Old 09-14-08 | 05:29 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

For us GS300 folks...we have it easy. The starter is decently easy to change out. I can do it in about 30 minutes or so.
Old 09-14-08 | 07:08 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

i think it's your started. mine did the same thing last winter... i would go turn the key and it would click once. i would then have to turn it a few more times; with each successive time i would hear more clicks until it finally starts after the 4th or 5th turn.

i got it replaced and all has been fine since.