GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engine Check light/ VSC lights on NEED IDEAS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 06:44 PM
j.tom
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Check light/ VSC lights on NEED IDEAS!

Today morning before heading out to work, I turned my car on and the "VSC" light "VSC off" light and the check engine light was on. I turned the car off and unplugged the battery..let the car sit for couple of minutes..plugged battery back in..turned the car back on and it was gone. So I drive to work without a hitch. Fast forward to driving home from work..the lights came back on again..and the car wouldn't move unless i floored the gas pedal. Anybody ever had this problem?

I took a pic of the dash so u guy's can see what i am talking about.

Old 09-15-08, 08:22 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

probably went to limp mode... goto autozone or somewhere and the get the CEL code pulled and go from there. hopefully it's nothing serious.
Old 09-16-08, 08:42 AM
LJGS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your gas cap. Make sure it clicks when you turn it.
Old 09-16-08, 10:59 AM
DangGS3
Pole Position

this is becoming more frequent lol. this happen to my car like 4 months ago. it turned out to be my accelerator pedal position sensor. but could be other things so use the scan tool to get the correct code. then you can search what the code means on the forum. GOOD LUCK!
Old 09-16-08, 12:06 PM
j.tom
Rookie

Originally Posted by DangGS3
this is becoming more frequent lol. this happen to my car like 4 months ago. it turned out to be my accelerator pedal position sensor. but could be other things so use the scan tool to get the correct code. then you can search what the code means on the forum. GOOD LUCK!
What code# did you got?
Old 09-16-08, 12:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

The best thing I would recommend (as others here) is to go to an Autozone or other parts store and they read the code for you for free and then report it back here in the forum.
Old 09-16-08, 01:35 PM
j.tom
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The best thing I would recommend (as others here) is to go to an Autozone or other parts store and they read the code for you for free and then report it back here in the forum.
Yes,I'll be doing that on the weekend.
Old 09-16-08, 07:54 PM
geelex4
Driver School Candidate

That happened to me, the code was my throtle positioning sensor was bad...the real problem was my alternator was going...it happened pretty frequent while I had the bad alternator..It got to a point where I drove around for weeks like that... the traction doesn't work, anti lock doesn't work, and limp mode is the worst...I fix my alternator like 6 month ago...I have not had the isssue since fixing my alternator...I say get your alternator check or get it rebuild first...I think that sensor is like three time wat it cost to upgrade or rebuilt yout alt...
Old 09-16-08, 08:16 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Something close happened to me, it was because the speed sensor was working itself out. I had my shop fabricate the connection due to lowering and everything was ok. All that said, go to AutoZone or something like that.
Old 09-16-08, 10:09 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's ONLY the engine light that stays on, then it's a non critical error.

Now if it's the Engine light, VSC and TRAC light, then it's a critical error. I've had this happen with a throttle position sensor and a failed coil pack. Forgot what else this happened with.

Get a scan tool on the OBD II port. Read off the code. It'll give you a good idea of what's going on.
Old 09-17-08, 09:32 AM
young's 96
Lead Lap

actually this just happen to me a couple days ago. my car was doing the same thing with the check engine lights and the vsc, I coulnt rev over 3000 rpm and I couldn't drive over 70 mph or the whole car will begun to shake, I was wondering what the **** was going on I pop the hood and start messing around with wires and plug and something told me to check the maf sensor and, come to find out someone turn the plug the opposite way than what it was suposse to be, I turn it around plug it in the right way and disconnect the battery start the car and it was back to normal so you might want to check that out.
Old 09-17-08, 10:00 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

TPS is out of range,
Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor faulty
Throttle Motor (DBW) is faulty
Wiring is fubared

You get the picture. The reason why your ECU disables VSC is because it can no longer red critical sensors that allows VSC to work properly. Again we won't know for sure until you actually pull the code.
Old 09-17-08, 10:45 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pull the code and do a search of this forum. this seems to be an increasingly common problem.
Old 09-18-08, 10:30 PM
j.tom
Rookie

Update:

The check engine light and all the other vsc light's just went away by itself, it came back on a few times, but drove normal then started acting up again with having to floor the gas pedal to get the car moving. Right now the codes are all gone ..drives normal and smooth again.

Wierd.
Old 09-18-08, 10:44 PM
gs3joe
Rookie

i had that problem with my 99 gs and i changed out the throttle position sensor.

Quick Reply: Engine Check light/ VSC lights on NEED IDEAS!