GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hi everyone newbie here, about to buy a 2001 gs300 good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 03:29 PM
SPLITSENSE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi everyone newbie here, about to buy a 2001 gs300 good buy?

Hi everyone, im thinking about buying a 2001 gs300 with 58k here is the description and have a question .

Selling Points: BODY KIT - LTUNED SIDE, L-SPORTLINE REAR BUMPER, TTE LIP (REPAINTED AFTER INSTALLATION, LOOK LIKE A PIECE WITH FRONT OEM BUMPER),DSR V2 ROOF SPOILER, LTUNED GRILL SUSPENSION - V2 TEIN CS. DAIZEN CONTROL ARM BRUSH. TRD FLCB. + DAIZEN SWAY MUFFLER - LTUNED (TIPS EXTENDED TO FLOW WITH BUMPER(L-SPORTLINE) PIPE TREAT WITH HIGH TEMPERATURE PAINT, SO WON'T RUST. THIS MUFFLER SOUND GREAT!!! RIMS - 19 WORK REZAX II 19X8.5 F 39 OFFSET, 19X9.5 R 45 OFFSET, WITH BRIDGESTON Potenza Re050A RFT 245/40/19 FRONT AND 275/35/19 REAR ENGINE - I NEVER TOUCHED ENGINE EXCEPT KN FILTER. INTERIOR - SC430 SHIFT ****, REAL ALUMINIUM DASH KIT, ALL LEATHER SEAT ARE MINT COND. HID UP GRADE VEHICLE HISTORY - I BOUGHT THIS CAR AS CERTIFIED PREOWNED FROM RALLEY LEXUS ON 8/04.

So my question is ...i test drove the car and all seemed ok , i am wondering about the coilovers(tein v2 cs) are they gonna destroy my suspension as far as control arms, bushings, balljoints???, or these cars can handle this stuff? the car sits low and i live in nyc POTHOLE CENTRAL!!, im not in the market for a car which i would have to change these things out alot all the time ...it seems to handle the potholes fine during the test drive but just wondering how much can it take and does this bring down the reliability factor with all these mods>??

Sorry for the long post but after coming out of BMW NIGHTMARE! im looking for reliability and i know these engines rock ....but as far as suspension change ..is this good for me ?? or look at another one with stock suspension to save myself problems..

Thank you guys and hoping to talk with all you soon.

Patrick

oh yea he wants 13,500 for the car ..good or no good ?
Old 09-20-08, 03:31 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

skip the 300 and buy a 400.
Old 09-20-08, 03:42 PM
SPLITSENSE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by McKrevice
skip the 300 and buy a 400.

i wish i could buy the 400 but most of them here have high miles and seem alot more out of my price range ..i can settle for the v6

i know with bimmers the v8 are much much more problem prone compared to my 528i inline 6 .is it the same with these cars?
Old 09-20-08, 04:03 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Post You can always.....

adjust the coilovers to the ride height that fits you. Or, because you said you don't want to change these out alot if I remember correctly just get the OEM suspension change them out that one time and sell the V2's. Just a thought though.....but as far as coilovers, they won't harm the car's bushings, lower control arms, etc....

-Joe
Old 09-20-08, 04:05 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SPLITSENSE
i wish i could buy the 400 but most of them here have high miles and seem alot more out of my price range ..i can settle for the v6

i know with bimmers the v8 are much much more problem prone compared to my 528i inline 6 .is it the same with these cars?
haha, the GS3 is an I6 as well.

I have a 2001 GS3 as well, but mine has 131k on it and zero problems thus far. But with 58k on the one you're looking at, your 60k service is coming up so see what has/needs to be done. As far as pricing, that's a ridiculously cheap number for the car with all those extras. My car with 123k miles as i bought it was worth about 10k 3 months ago.

as far as the CSV2, they are probably one of the best coilovers you can buy as far as balance between lowering and factory ride comfort. I wouldnt worry about your suspension but be aware that lower ball joints and tie rod ends seem to be problematic on our cars, but are an easy DIY replacement unless you get them done with either your 60k or 90k service. reliability does not change and if you're really worried about potholes, just raise them up a notch or two and increase the damping force a bit to compensate. what you really should be concerned with pothole wise is the rims. 40 and 35 a/r's are not a whole lot of tire for the shock of hitting a pothole to travel through.

there are plenty of guys who are running a setup just like that one and have absolutely no issues whatsoever. just try to avoid the potholes, raise up the CS a little when you need to, and keep up on the scheduled maintenance periods and that car will last you hundreds of thousands of more miles.

and for that car, with 58k miles, with all those extras, you can't beat that.
i'd guess that dead stock gs3's with even 75k are selling for that much right about now, nevermind with (estimating here) probably 5-7k in aftermarket extras (including some really rare pieces, some of which discontinued), which means money that you dont have to spend.

let me know where it's at, haha if you dont scoop it I will
Old 09-20-08, 06:21 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For less money you could get a slightly older GS400 (same generation) with a few more miles and still not have any significant problems (if you do your homework)
Old 09-20-08, 07:12 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno man, just keep looking. I bought my GS400 with 33,000 on it for 16k. They're out there, and after driving the GS300, I Can tell you, it's a nice car of course, but no where near fun to drive than the GS4.
Old 09-20-08, 08:22 PM
young's 96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for the 4
Old 09-20-08, 09:40 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a good deal! With all those mods you cant go wrong
Old 09-20-08, 09:56 PM
olddog
Pole Position

price is ridiculously great.....
but of course, cheaper is always better
Old 09-20-08, 10:05 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

wooooowwwwwwwww, lucky fellow
Old 09-20-08, 11:45 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

why so cheeeeeeeeeaaaaap?
Old 09-21-08, 10:13 AM
SPLITSENSE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
why so cheeeeeeeeeaaaaap?
The seller is telling me that he wants to get a M5

Now i know the price is good ....but really makes me wonder if something is wrong????? ...i gotta have my mech look at the car ..are regular mechs able to determind whats good and bad on these things or you need like some certified lexus tech that knows the in's and outs on the car??

i did notice a slight knockin sound in the front suspension .
Old 09-21-08, 10:55 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The seller is telling me that he wants to get a M5

Now i know the price is good ....but really makes me wonder if something is wrong????? ...i gotta have my mech look at the car ..are regular mechs able to determind whats good and bad on these things or you need like some certified lexus tech that knows the in's and outs on the car??

i did notice a slight knockin sound in the front suspension .
that's probably just the balljoints, as mentioned. 150 dollars for both left and right lower ball joints, and its an easy DIY job.
Old 09-21-08, 02:33 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJImport
For less money you could get a slightly older GS400 (same generation) with a few more miles and still not have any significant problems (if you do your homework)
Maybe he wants the GS for looks and not speed. Then again the GS3's can be more of a beast than the 4's

Quick Reply: Hi everyone newbie here, about to buy a 2001 gs300 good buy?