GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

acceleration issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 05:16 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acceleration issues

ok, first off...i only noticed this once i installed my CAI...but that doesn't mean it didn't do it before hand...i might just not have been paying attention, and my CAI was done pretty soon after i got the car. ok, when my A/C is on, and i floor it (not all at once...but just gradually so i dont get that jerk, but fast enough so I'm accelerating quickly) it almost feels like im getting a misfire as im getting into higher rpm's...but i have never been in a car that i know is misfiring...so it could just be bogging down...BUT when my A/C is off is accelerates without flaw..i know the simple solution is to just turn off my A/C...but i would like to know what is causing it...im starting to think it might be an electrical issue...but im not sure...what do you guys think?
Thanks
Old 09-21-08, 12:12 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
ok, first off...i only noticed this once i installed my CAI...but that doesn't mean it didn't do it before hand...i might just not have been paying attention, and my CAI was done pretty soon after i got the car. ok, when my A/C is on, and i floor it (not all at once...but just gradually so i dont get that jerk, but fast enough so I'm accelerating quickly) it almost feels like im getting a misfire as im getting into higher rpm's...but i have never been in a car that i know is misfiring...so it could just be bogging down...BUT when my A/C is off is accelerates without flaw..i know the simple solution is to just turn off my A/C...but i would like to know what is causing it...im starting to think it might be an electrical issue...but im not sure...what do you guys think?
Thanks
it might either be the extra electrical draw from all the a/c parts running at once (blower motor, compressor, evap, recirc, etc.) or it could be the actual parasitic drag from the ac compressor itself.
Old 09-21-08, 12:40 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

What kind of CAI do you have. If the CAI has 3" piping then you MUST run some kind of air fuel controller. SAFC, Greddy Emanage, AEM FIC, etc. If not then the car will never run correctly. If I were you, just put the stock intake back on for now until you can afford to get a fuel controller installed and tuned. The only one cheap way around this issue is to use a intake that has a 2.25" diameter piping. So that means use the stock intake, buy a intake system than has that size, or make your own custom intake with that size pipe for the MAF sensor section. The entire piping does not need to be 2.25", but only 6" around the MAF sensor pipe section.