GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil or Plugs - which made me QUIETER?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 03:40 PM
shomann
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil or Plugs - which made me QUIETER?!

I have been thinking my engine has been running a bit to noisely since I purchased her 10k miles ago. Several threads suggested that the injectors might be the cause, or maybe my valves were just a tad loose. No one seemed to think my car was in any danger or in need of immediate help. This, and the performance and spot-on MPG helped convince me to "turn a deaf ear".

Today, I just finished my plug swap (to Torquemasters), transmission flush (Amsoil - SMOOTH), and oil change. On the oil, I decided to try 10w40 (Valvoline High Mileage, Syn Blend) to prep my engine for full synthetic next change. Well, either the oil or the plugs has made my phantom "valve" noise dissappear.

I am leaning towards the oil at this time, and have seen several threads indicate that 10w40 isn't going to screw anything up, but I want to get the groups opinion. Has anyone else had a similar circumstance? Thanks!

(Did I mention that the Amsoil is SMOOTH?)
Old 09-22-08, 04:06 PM
quickex99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry off-topic

How are the tourqe masters performance wise?
Old 09-22-08, 04:17 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

You're using a heavier weight oil. It will quiet down the engine. I use 20w-50 in my car and the engine runs silky smooth and quiet.
Old 09-22-08, 04:40 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
You're using a heavier weight oil. It will quiet down the engine. I use 20w-50 in my car and the engine runs silky smooth and quiet.
for those of us who don't have 700+rwhp monsters on the road every day, could you recommend a good oil for us who will be seeing a nasty upcoming new england winter and would like a nice quiet motor?
Old 09-22-08, 05:06 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Personally I use Amsoil 20w50 whenever I cam get my hands on it. Only private dealers sell that stuff, so I have to make and appointment to pick up the stuff. Not the most convienient thing when you work on your car at 3am lol. If I really need oil in a pinch I goto Walmart and buy the Mobil1 5qt jug of 15w50 since they're open 24/7.

For you "stock engine" folks, just stick with the factory weight of 5w30 but make sure to use synthetic oil. If you're getting excessive noise from the valvetrain, moving up to a 10w40 weight will help quiet things down and help the engine run smoother. Running a heavier weight oil will help lube everything in the engine better and keep things quiet. The only downside is that it creates more drag since the oil is heavier. You might lose a few HP or a few fractions of MPG, but you are better protecting the engine. Cars are usually rated to run from the factory with the thinnest oil that's deemed safe for the engine from the manufacturer.
Old 09-22-08, 05:36 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Personally I use Amsoil 20w50 whenever I cam get my hands on it. Only private dealers sell that stuff, so I have to make and appointment to pick up the stuff. Not the most convienient thing when you work on your car at 3am lol. If I really need oil in a pinch I goto Walmart and buy the Mobil1 5qt jug of 15w50 since they're open 24/7.

For you "stock engine" folks, just stick with the factory weight of 5w30 but make sure to use synthetic oil. If you're getting excessive noise from the valvetrain, moving up to a 10w40 weight will help quiet things down and help the engine run smoother. Running a heavier weight oil will help lube everything in the engine better and keep things quiet. The only downside is that it creates more drag since the oil is heavier. You might lose a few HP or a few fractions of MPG, but you are better protecting the engine. Cars are usually rated to run from the factory with the thinnest oil that's deemed safe for the engine from the manufacturer.
good stuff man, thanks
Old 09-23-08, 12:26 AM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

i use 10w-30 mobil 1. u think i should up it to 10w 40?
Old 09-23-08, 02:07 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

If you don't have excessive valvetrain ticking then just stick with what you have right now. Theres two reasons why people use heavier weight oil. Their engine is getting old and is starting to burn oil slowly and the valvetrain is starting to tick. Running a thicker oil will help hold off these problems for a bit. Either way, Toyota engines last a while so you shouldn't really have any issues with your motor even if its 150k miles range. Running the heavier oil is when you have a really high mileage engine 200-250k+ or the motor is is bad shape.

The other reason to run heavier weight oil...my reason is because the engine is often stressed and heated over normal operating conditions. A full boost pull up to 150mph+ tends to heat up the oil quite a bit. With excessive heat, the oil will start to thin out a bit and not lubricate everythig as well. So starting off with a heavier weight oil will hold off the oil thinning at such high temps.
Old 09-23-08, 09:36 AM
shomann
Rookie

Jeff and all - thanks for all the insight. My engine is only at 105K. Again, I wasn't really worried about damage as the engine was functioning properly, but it the old ticking that raised and lowered with the engine revs is gone.

The real question now is do I upgrade to full synthetic as planned? There is so much back and forth on this topic for us higher mileage guys that I am not sure what to do.
Old 09-23-08, 11:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

In many of my older cars with 150k+ miles, I've been able to switch to synthetic without any problems. Those who have problems have bad seals to start with, so synthetic is not to be blamed. Mileage isn't really too much of a factor. it's age. I rather do a synthetic oil change on an 02 (which is still likely in great condition) with 100k miles than a 92 with only 30k miles.
Old 09-23-08, 11:41 AM
shomann
Rookie

Originally Posted by quickex99
Sorry off-topic

How are the tourqe masters performance wise?
Really not sure I can tell a difference just yet. I am computing mileage though so that will at least tell the story from the maintainence side. I will say this, the stock plugs I pulled out were extremely clean. I think the previous owner must have replaced the plugs at some point because if these things have 100k on them, I have the cleanest engine internals on the planet LOL.
Old 09-23-08, 04:25 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i use 0w40 just like the new gtr, thats how i keep up with it.

ok actually i use 5w30 mobil 1.
Old 09-23-08, 05:41 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PachecoGS4
i use 0w40 just like the new gtr, thats how i keep up with it.

ok actually i use 5w30 mobil 1.

I saw a GTR on the Long Island Expressway last night... i was just trying to keep up with it to get a better look but I guess the guy thought i was trying to race or something and he just blew past me and out of sight within a few seconds... My stock beast just got an oil change today with 5w-30 mobil1 ep... because its cheap and readily available. When I first got the car it sounded noisy to me but I dunno if the seafoam treatments quieted things down or my hearing just got worse...

I'm thinking of going heavier and spending a few bucks more for the amsoil since oil consumption has become noticeable... I'm going through a quart every 3000miles... maybe I have a leaky VCG but i gotta take a look and I'm lazy.

What amsoil do we use for out trannys?
Old 09-23-08, 06:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Amsoil Universal Fluid
Old 09-23-08, 07:15 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Amsoil Universal Fluid
i asked lexus dealer, they said use "ONLY" toyota type T-IV or else it's gonna mess up the tranny. is that true?

Quick Reply: Oil or Plugs - which made me QUIETER?!