GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP: Car feels like it slidding in heavy rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 04:02 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
Is VSC off?

At first, just reading the title...I thought for sure its the tires....but they are new...and minimal camber...they should be OK. With those wheel size and offset, you should be flush...without minimal camber needed.

Another reason...but this could be really far fetched is that the tires are installed backwards...meaning its directional...and if installed on the wrong side....the water from the road is channelled to the center of the tire...rather to the side....thus creating a hydroplaning effect.

Pete
It has happened, haha
They are likely directional, there should be an arrow pointing toward the correct rotation, or you can also tell by the tread design.
Old 09-25-08, 07:16 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i 2nd the tires on wrong

i had the brains at tire kingdom filled the tires on and old car made the interstate real fun when it started raining
Old 09-25-08, 08:36 PM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jriggs
i 2nd the tires on wrong

i had the brains at tire kingdom filled the tires on and old car made the interstate real fun when it started raining
The tires are not on wrong. I mounted the wheels on myself. To be sure, I even went out today to make sure the rotation was the same on all the tires.
Old 09-25-08, 09:24 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

or maybe the tires are unidirectional and you had mounted them to the car wrong. if they are unidirectional, and you mounted them so that all of them have the same pattern of rotation, you did it wrong. The tread should be different on the left and right sides as far as rotational pattern. This is the case with my Fuzion HRi's, they are true unidirectional tires with left, right, inside and out markings.
Old 09-26-08, 12:18 AM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
Maybe the tires haven't been "broken in" yet?
Bingo!!! Your tires are still new and need to be rubbed in. New tires are really smooth and oily. There will eventually break in over time or you can use race techiques to scuff them. I doubt Sears did anyhting to set you chamber to where it would come back on them in a lawsuit.
Old 09-26-08, 12:43 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KNEXX
Bingo!!! Your tires are still new and need to be rubbed in. New tires are really smooth and oily. There will eventually break in over time or you can use race techiques to scuff them. I doubt Sears did anyhting to set you chamber to where it would come back on them in a lawsuit.
I agree. After a few hundred miles the release agent on the tires should fully be scrubbed off and then your tires will have the traction it supposed to have. I've had the same trouble with brand new tires in the past. Not all of them behave this way, but some do. In my case, I thought I made a huge mistake in my tire selection, but after about 100 miles, the tires suddenly hooked up and had traction. It was immediate as the day before it was poor, and the next day it was great.
Old 09-26-08, 03:27 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, watch out with new tires. As the previous posters have said they have a release compound on the outer layer of the tires. Think of it as like wax on the outside of a mold. I almost got in a wreck on the highway one time because of that. Now I do a 20 second burnout right after I get new tires put on

Also, I had a problem with the car being very unstable and going all over the place. It was tramlining horribly on the highway as well. It was due to my rear tires being worn to hell. It had a ton of inner camber wear and it was down to the nylon and belts! For about a month I didn't know why my car was driving so weird. One day I got under my car to work on it and I noticed the rear tires. I was lucky as hell that it didn't blow out on me when I was on the highway!

Look at the inner camber wear on that tire lol.
Old 09-26-08, 03:37 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

lol ^ how many degrees of camber were you sportin for that to happen
Old 09-26-08, 05:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What psi do you have all 4 tires set at? Too high a psi can have an adverse affect on tire grip & handeling charecteristics of the car.
Old 09-26-08, 12:28 PM
hotrods81
Rookie

[QUOTE=JeffTsai;3868997]Yeah, watch out with new tires. As the previous posters have said they have a release compound on the outer layer of the tires. Think of it as like wax on the outside of a mold. I almost got in a wreck on the highway one time because of that. Now I do a 20 second burnout right after I get new tires put on
QUOTE]

HAHAH glad to see i'm not the only one that does this.. I think its a blast in a controlled environment..... with LSD and new tires I can pull a pretty decent Automatic drift
Old 09-27-08, 09:12 AM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Default Update!

Before I give my update, I want to say that the tires now have at least 650 miles on them. The tires are pointing in the correct direction....trust me, I know better. And as a result of my first point, the tires do not have any tread wear yet.

So today it rained again pretty hard. So I figured, what a perfect opertunity to put the car through the same scenerios (same or similar roads/lanes) to see if the same thing happens. Today wasn't really any different from the day I posted this thread. Car still felt unstable.

When doing lane changes over those little reflector things between lanes, the car ALWAYS skipped over them and into the next lane rather than going over the reflectors smoothly for a smooth lane change. At a particular stretch of lane on a particular road, the rear would skip as I approached the light at the intersection every (between today and Wed = 4x) time I did it. **Note this is a stretch of road I've driven on a min. of 5x a week for the last 7 yrs. using 6 different cars, and never once had a problem.** On the same highlway again, the car started feeling like it was slidding doing about 45mph.

Funny things is though is that when ever I did try to make the car break traction purposely, I couldn't get it to at all. I swerved lanes aggresively (like race car driving trying to heat up the tires), punched the gas around corners or half way through a uturn, and nothing. I even slammed the breaks to see if the car would slide, and nothing. The car stopped on a dime and I damn near almost flew out the car, even with my steatbelt on. This is all in the same wet conditions. I just don't get!

Thanks all for the help in advance! I know this is a long read, so I do appoligize.
Old 09-27-08, 11:08 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What's the tire pressure at? Sounds like they might be overinflated?
Old 09-28-08, 12:22 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm feeling some drift action.
Old 09-28-08, 09:32 AM
FLexed
Driver School Candidate

As another member mentioned, double check the alignment. If the TOE is out of whack, there is a good chance the car will become very unstable in the rain.

It seems like you're a little fuzzy on the alignment, and it wouldn't be the first time that a shop messed one up. Take it back and see if they will check it for free.
Old 09-28-08, 10:59 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you know, i doubt a tire installer would do this, but check if the sticker on the new tires are still on.

Quick Reply: HELP: Car feels like it slidding in heavy rain