GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Staggered 22's On My Gs 430

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 07:29 PM
LexFather

Way to big IMO. THe GS was designed for 16s stock. This is 8 inches bigger in diameter, 50% larger, lol. Suspension killer.

The wheel design isn't bad, I agree. Will you compete in car shows? Then I can understand this choice.

A GS is a fine suit. Putting giant wheels on them is like a 6 foot man wearing an Armani suit with size 30 Shaq size shoes.

That being said either I'm older now or I've seen too many GSs with 22s where I am more accepting of this trend.

Old 09-29-08, 07:42 PM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont know bout it being a suspension killer ! thats odd ! but the navi still reads between 18.4-21mpg ! just depends if i got my foot in it ! but people say most gs400/430 are limited to 147-150mph ! it did 158mph with the stocks and it does 158 with the 22's ! yeah i know its not smart to top out your lex/car! but oh well i've tried it in pretty much every car i've owned over the past 22 years of driving ! i've even tried it back in day with a 465hp cam'd zz430 v-8 crate motor with headwork in an airbagged astrovan with a 250 shot of NOS! so roughly 715hp at the crank ! pretty funny but true ! if you've lived in vegas for awhile you'd remember the minivan ! a lil off subject ! sorry !

Last edited by VEGAS DRE; 09-29-08 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-29-08, 09:20 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you think 34 lbs per wheel is light? lol. I'm guessing that's the weight of the fronts too. how can a 22x8.5 weigh the same as a 22x9.5 ?

those are boat anchors putting more stress on everything.

Last edited by chuckb; 09-29-08 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 02:17 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong... sure heavy rims will be a tranny killer, but with 22's you usually dont drive like a moron! it becomes a cruiser. So IMO, as long as you're not racing every stop light and driving like a maniac, tranny will be fine. Sure he said he topped it out, but I'm sure it will be the only time. If not, then x's 2 on the tranny deal..

and as for suspension killer its true, the 22 changes the center of axis and gravity which will put your "arms" at a different position/angle that they werent made to function which would probably deteriorate them much sooner..
Old 09-30-08, 07:38 AM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

oh wow chuck ! dont worry you dont have to pay for my tranny if it goes out ! but most likely it won't ! i dont do donuts or burnouts with them ! so there the only real stress that'll kill my tranny ! and honestly have you ever heard of a gs400/430 tranny getting killed by a set of 20's/22's ? also i dont try to run the 1/4 mile everytime i pulled from a stop sign or red light ! but thats for the negative input Chuck ! but nice 10's you keep'em clean ! and by the way the average 22" one piece wheel weighs around 40-44lbs each so i'd say that a good difference in weight compared to my 33.55lb 22's. and yes the center of gravity of the car will be higher but the suspension arm angle will not change. the only way you change the suspension angle on a vehicle is to lower or raise the suspension ! by putting smaller or larger diameter wheel will not change your rear axle angle or front upper or lower a-arm angle. as in if you measure from the center of the rim with a 16" or 22" to the fender it'll be the same with any size rim! the only way you'll change that measurement would be to add or reduce weight to the unsprung weight of the car or raise or lower by suspension ! reason being i would know this ! i've ran and owned rim and tire shops for over 15 years ! sorry for the long post !

Last edited by VEGAS DRE; 09-30-08 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-30-08, 07:47 AM
Archangel7
Driver School Candidate

Looks good!
Old 09-30-08, 08:43 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
Doesn't look that bad for being 22's. Usually we see 22's in the thread title and it's just a heavy bling show... The wheels on the drivers side don't look all that bad...

they dont look "bad" but i know i wouldnt want them on my car.
Old 09-30-08, 01:24 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VEGAS DRE
but thats for the negative input Chuck ! ........... i've ran and owned rim and tire shops for over 15 years ! ...
never said your trans was gonna blow nor do I give a crap. just said more stress on everything. ball joints, control arms, steering rack, shocks(with sweet cut springs btw), brakes, engine trans, bearings, basically all moving parts. but you ran a "rim shop" for 15 years so you know this, right?

just being honest. you shouldn't put pics of your car on the internet if you don't want to hear some truthful opinions.

sorry, but imo everything about your 22s is stupid. it looks worse, it's slower, and it handles worse. I'd take stock 16s over those any day. want me to not be negative? ok, at least they're not chromed.

btw-wanna race?
Old 09-30-08, 03:21 PM
BuffGS
Driver School Candidate

Default Nice rim choice

Nice rims choice, not ghetto 22s.
Old 09-30-08, 04:40 PM
young's 96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually it did rub when i first put them on ! i just had to shaved the fenders about 3/8" of an inch all the way around ! especially in the rear with the 285 tire. and the rims weigh aprox. 15.25kg/33.55lbs each. which isnt to bad for a 22" rim ! yeah the only thing that really bothers me about running 22's is the 4x4 stance of the car ! i think even if i drop it in the rear to even out with the front its still going to be kinda high even with a bodykit also ! so im shopping for new 2-3 piece 20's already ! i got my eye some MOZ "V-10 or BRANDENBURG" front 20x8.5 40mm offest and rear 20x11 50mm offset
hey I like your car and your 22's it just looks real good on your car as long as you like it that what all matters I might go this route soon since you said it dont rub in the back.
Old 09-30-08, 04:58 PM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

I like the look of the 22's but not the high ground clearance of the car ! and chucky i accept all comments - or + ! its opinionated and everyone has an opinion! and i appreciate all opinions good or bad ! chucky we can race anytime you come to vegas and by the way chucky have you even driven a car or lex on 22's ? how would you even know how it or any car on 22's handles ? never believe what you read or hear ! if i told you there was a thunder storm in vegas rightnow would you believe me ? i think you might ! by the way i like your stock rims !

Last edited by VEGAS DRE; 09-30-08 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 05:47 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

have you even driven a car or lex on 22's ? how would you even know how it or any car on 22's handles ?
yeah, I'm sure you and your car defy the the laws of physics. it's like 5 inches taller than a stock GS man.
Old 10-01-08, 09:07 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys lets please take it to pm. Vegas Dre Like most any forum your gonna get people who have their own opinions/views. Its about what you like and you want for your car. Don't take these opinions/views too seriously..
Old 10-01-08, 12:38 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex
Guys lets please take it to pm. Vegas Dre Like most any forum your gonna get people who have their own opinions/views. Its about what you like and you want for your car. Don't take these opinions/views too seriously..
oops sorry i didnt see you said something already
Old 10-01-08, 01:37 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys I removed your latest back and forth, I don't want to close your thread Dre but your not helping by egging Chuck by calling him Chucky and Chuck Dr. Dre isn't gonna help either. Please take it to pm guys or just forget about it so the thread stays open.

Quick Reply: Staggered 22's On My Gs 430