GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 08:29 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption

Does anyone else on here have oil consumption issues like me? If so what have you done to resolve the issue?
Old 10-01-08, 08:38 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all, don't ever listen to louie on this forum.

second of all, what engine do you have? how many miles? have you changed your oil regularly? what kind of oil do you use? you need to give us some information before we can tell you what's going on. maybe if you use the search function, you can find someone who had similar problems like you as well and go from there.
Old 10-01-08, 08:50 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by louiegs400
no i dont have any issues
i change the oil every 2000 miles

but if you keep racein your car. keep puchin it abusein it
you will use a lot of oil
if its not that, maybe you broke some thing? hit some thing under the car and its leakin out
did u try backin ya car up and see if u see any thing on the ground ?
You're just throwing money away by switching at 2K. But whatever floats your boat...
Old 10-01-08, 10:29 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ElitistK

second of all, what engine do you have? how many miles? have you changed your oil regularly? what kind of oil do you use? you need to give us some information before we can tell you what's going on. maybe if you use the search function, you can find someone who had similar problems like you as well and go from there.
I'm at a about 137k miles on my 99 GS300. I have been using Mobil 5W-30. I have taken it to 2 dealerships one Lexus and the other a place I trust both found no leaks. Lexus said my oil is being lost due to blow-by caused by worn rings. I have also replaced my pcv valve to no avail. I get my oil changed every 5000 miles as recommended. My gas mileage is around 19mpg 85% city. I've done much research on my issue and am still stumped after over a year.

Last edited by handzilla; 10-02-08 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 10:51 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ROFL.

Originally Posted by benzo555
You're just throwing money away by switching at 2K. But whatever floats your boat...
Evidently, he needs quite a bit to float his boat every 2k, LOL

Originally Posted by handzilla
Lexus said my oil is being lost due to blow-by caused by worn seals. I have also replaced my pcv valve to no avail.
if due to worn seals, i would guess there would be some evidence of such on the ground where you park; although it may be a very slow leak. hhmmmm, I6, maybe that rear main seal thingy...(sorry forgot what exactly its called and iirc, the v6 camry's also have a similar problem). maybe elitistk will chime back in to help elaborate and shed some light for ya!

GL!

Last edited by 4ntvings; 10-01-08 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 11:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

hopefully its not the rear main seal! few GS3O0 & SC3O0 owners have this problem. If you're not leaking on the outside, see if you're blowing out any blue-ish smoke from the exhaust. if you do, then its an internal leak (common leaks are from the spark plug o-rings)
Old 10-01-08, 12:27 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

but if you keep racein your car. keep puchin it abusein it
you will use a lot of oil
if its not that, maybe you broke some thing? hit some thing under the car and its leakin out
did u try backin ya car up and see if u see any thing on the ground ?
HAHAHAHA

LOL. Zing.
Old 10-01-08, 12:35 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

I'm at a about 137k miles on my 99 GS300. I have been using Mobil 5W-30. I have taken it to 2 dealerships one Lexus and the other a place I trust both found no leaks. Lexus said my oil is being lost due to blow-by caused by worn seals. I have also replaced my pcv valve to no avail. I get my oil changed every 5000 miles as recommended. My gas mileage is around 19mpg 85% city. I've done much research on my issue and am still stumped after over a year.
the 2jz is suppose to have some blow-by even when the engine is brand new (jefftsai). If it's excessive blow-by, it means your piston rings are worn. If you're having smoke on start-up only, it means your valve stem seals are worn. If the timing belt service has not been done, i suggest you doing it asap and check all the seals visible from the front.
Old 10-01-08, 12:42 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

My timing belt service was done. I haven't seen any visible oil anywhere and both palces took my car said "bone dry" in terms on leakage. I'll check for the blue smoke. An internal leak sounds like it would cost a lot to fix.
Old 10-01-08, 12:42 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Most shops offer UV dye to put in the oil. Drive it for a month and then come back and check with a UV lamp. Even slow "seepage" leaks start to show up.
Old 10-01-08, 02:47 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
Most shops offer UV dye to put in the oil. Drive it for a month and then come back and check with a UV lamp. Even slow "seepage" leaks start to show up.
and dont forget, with over 130k on there and i'm assuming you havent exactly gone through and wiped down your whole engine, it could be tough to see dark brown oil leaking onto a dark brown/black engine...
Old 10-01-08, 03:41 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

My timing belt service was done. I haven't seen any visible oil anywhere and both palces took my car said "bone dry" in terms on leakage. I'll check for the blue smoke. An internal leak sounds like it would cost a lot to fix.
Go to a shop with a sniffer (such as a smog shop) and they should be able to tell you what you are burning. If you are burning excess oil on idle, then your piston ring is really worn.

OR a leak-down test (about 70 bux) can be performed at an independent shop (go to a tuner or engine shop). You can literally hear the air escaping through the valves, the rings, or the coolant passages (bubbling) if there is anything that is not sealed properly.

I think it's one of the seals that is leaking, maybe valve cover or rear main seal. If you're seriously burning up that much oil, you should feel that your car is slower than other gs3's.

Last edited by ElitistK; 10-02-08 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 04:40 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

could be bad piston rings like in my gs3
Old 10-01-08, 04:46 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

What. That is excessive man. If indeed you are changing your oil at that interval then you have issues under the hood.
Old 10-01-08, 06:13 PM
1996gs300
Driver School Candidate

I don't have anything to contribute more than these other guys have...but this was so funny and true I had to post.

As far as the oil though it has to go somewhere either burn't out the exhaust or leaking out engine gaskets. If you have had 2 trusted shops tell you no oil is leaking then it most likely is your piston rings or valve stem seals(I have heard this is common on the 2jz engines). Maybe I missed something but I didn't see how much oil you are losing for every 5000 miles. I would consider up to a quart reasonable for that amount of miles.

If you get 19mpg you must drive the car sensibly, so I won't blame it on getting sucked through the pcv system and on into the intake.

Last edited by 1996gs300; 10-01-08 at 06:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption