GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New pics with air suspension, but rims wont tuck??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 06:05 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think u need a right size tire as 215 or 225 in the front.. I have 215 on front and it dont rub at all..
Old 10-05-08, 06:06 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Lots of misinformation in this thread. Airrunner doesn't use brackets, so it's not the air strut's fault. Adding camber shouldn't be necessary either. If you shave your rear fenders and roll the front fenders, they should tuck if the wheels are resting on them. If they're still hitting the fenders, you need some smaller tires. Good idea on the tape on the lips. I wish I did that after I installed my air suspension. Luckily mine didn't hit and I had 2-3mm to spare.

BTW, I never knew your car was blue! Looks good.
Old 10-05-08, 06:16 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chrispy
Lots of misinformation in this thread. Airrunner doesn't use brackets, so it's not the air strut's fault. Adding camber shouldn't be necessary either. If you shave your rear fenders and roll the front fenders, they should tuck if the wheels are resting on them. If they're still hitting the fenders, you need some smaller tires. Good idea on the tape on the lips. I wish I did that after I installed my air suspension. Luckily mine didn't hit and I had 2-3mm to spare.

BTW, I never knew your car was blue! Looks good.
Thanks for the suggestion Chrispy ,.... I was told my fender will weaken if I shave my fenders...so I have been avoiding that...I guess I have no choice
Old 10-05-08, 06:54 PM
fatmike
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike you better pull those fenders before Sat. We should also roll mine sometime soon
Old 10-05-08, 07:27 PM
chrispy

Originally Posted by garbage85
Thanks for the suggestion Chrispy ,.... I was told my fender will weaken if I shave my fenders...so I have been avoiding that...I guess I have no choice
The rear fenders can be shaven no problem since they're two layers of metal. You can shave it to the edge and it should be fine. If you'd like to roll the rears you can try but since it's two layers, it's difficult. The fronts should be professionally rolled since it's one layer of metal. Reason why I say professionally is to avoid dimples.
Old 10-05-08, 08:05 PM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

^ I guess I better put my bat back in the truck
Old 10-05-08, 08:18 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

i used the bat technique for my fronts and it worked perfectly. although i only had a small rubbing problem. just go real slow and don't force the heck out of it, slow and low is the tempo
Old 10-05-08, 08:26 PM
MiamiIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by chrispy
The rear fenders can be shaven no problem since they're two layers of metal. You can shave it to the edge and it should be fine. If you'd like to roll the rears you can try but since it's two layers, it's difficult. The fronts should be professionally rolled since it's one layer of metal. Reason why I say professionally is to avoid dimples.
Correct me if I'm wrong, when you shave your fenders, you literally are removing metal from the inner lining of your fenders and when you roll your fenders you are rolling the metal lining inside of your fenders that would normally hold the inner wheel lining together. Any explanation or correction to what I just said is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-05-08, 08:43 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

when you shave the fenders you are litteraly cutting the metal off(because in the rear you have about 1/2'' of metal. when you roll (generally done in the front only) you are rolling it up and inside, basicly folding over itself, do a search and you should find this explained and pics in greater detail
Old 10-05-08, 09:07 PM
chrispy

Originally Posted by MiamiIS350
Correct me if I'm wrong, when you shave your fenders, you literally are removing metal from the inner lining of your fenders and when you roll your fenders you are rolling the metal lining inside of your fenders that would normally hold the inner wheel lining together. Any explanation or correction to what I just said is greatly appreciated.
This is correct. On my previous GS, I cut the rear fenders. I saw the two metal sheets separate a bit. It was still rigid as ever, but not as clean. This time around I used a electric belt sander. It eats through the metal easier and it's much cleaner. Also the two sheets of metal stay together too.
Old 10-06-08, 01:57 AM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

never knew ur car was blue either..all the previous pics looked black..are u on UAS? or air runner? if uas, what struts? im thinkin bout converting over to the air wagon
Old 10-06-08, 08:58 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

I think it is sitten just right
Old 10-06-08, 07:12 PM
MiamiIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
when you shave the fenders you are litteraly cutting the metal off(because in the rear you have about 1/2'' of metal. when you roll (generally done in the front only) you are rolling it up and inside, basicly folding over itself, do a search and you should find this explained and pics in greater detail
Thanks for the explanation, I think I understand now.
Old 10-06-08, 07:42 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by phillygs3
Just take your time and use a heat gun my fronts are slightly pulled . and my tires are 225 in the front . I just noticed in the pictures you posted who ever rolled your fenders did a lite roll I think you could have rolled some more . But be carefull with the back . the back is more proned to dimpleing.

Damn bobby that looks SICK!!!

OP: your car looks SICK too! lol
Old 10-06-08, 07:56 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

so guys, will shaving my fender weaken my fender?

Quick Reply: New pics with air suspension, but rims wont tuck??