GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ever had trouble putting gas in your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 10:37 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Do you have a CEL on or an aftermarket intake?

I had this problem when I had my intake on my car (gs300) there was a hose for a gas tank vent ( I think it's the little hose running to the bottom of the stock intake, with a valve on it that wasn't hooked up properly.

The pump would constantly kick off, and I'd have to keep filling until it reached about 4 gallons of gas then would just fill the rest of the way until full.

Eventually this got worse, and I checked my intake, and that hose had come off.

I replaced the stock intake, and it fills up like normal now.
Both my GS430 and my wife's GS300 have no engine mods whatsoever.
Old 10-09-08, 10:46 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
it must have something to do with a bend in the filler neck or something, the gas must be hitting the top of the neck and bouncing back triggering the shutoff valve. When you have the nozzle inserted, lift the handle a little to angle the nozzle down, i usually try to keep it what i feel to be centered in the neck and i never have problems filling it. Believe me, it seems more than happy to take the 15odd gallons it usually takes each fill
When this first happened I tried every nozzle I could find. I tried every possible combination of holding the nozzle, pulling back the rubber hose seal, etc. Nothing worked. In to Lexus where they said there was an internal check valve at the bottom of the filler hose and that a piece of paper had gotten stuck on it and the check valve was then stuck closed which would cause the gas to run back up the filler and the nozzle would shutoff thinking it was full. They claim that they clean the check valve and that fixes it. I could have written it off to my or something I did or a particular station until it happened to my wife's GS3. And of course, it has happened to both cars again. Neither car has had this problem until the last year or so and we have owned both since new, my GS4 since 2k1 and the GS3 since 2k3. I have the Lexus manuals for these cars and the fuel system diagrams do not show any check valves anywhere. Not saying they might be there, but they aren't in the service manual. And when I use a wire to go down teh filler, it doesn't hit anything into the tank. I have a feeling it is something in the vapor return but just don't have the interest in figuring it out. Don't want to pay $200 each time to have Lexus fool with it either.

I know there has been at least one other thread about this but evidently no one really has this problem. I am already past the point where I will be trading my car in so it will go shortly and my wife's will go not long after that. Guess I will just live with it. At least this time Magnussen Lexus didn't charge the $200 they have charged me in the past to fix it. But if I were just a bit more paranoid I would be thinking about something in the GS fueling system that gets hinky when it gets five or six years old. And I doubt Lexus will do anything to fix it. Glad no one else has a problem.