GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Greyish/White Horizontal Line in Navigation Screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-08 | 07:26 AM
mpsarmi
Driver

Default Greyish/White Horizontal Line in Navigation Screen

Hey Everyone. As I was driving home from the airport yesterday after a 4 day business trip, I turned on my Navi screen, which I leave off, and saw a greyish/white horizontal line near the top of the screeen. This freaked me out because it wasn't there before I left.

Changes made to the car before that were ball joints, tie rods and Daizen Control Arm bushings.

Have any of you expericned this before if so what's the cause and solution? Thanks!!!!!

BTW: I have the GS430 w/Mark Levinson Navi.
Old 10-11-08 | 07:30 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I would think that it might be the LCD panel itself going bad? I never had the problem so I am not a 100% percent sure.
Old 10-11-08 | 10:36 AM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

i had the same problem i replaced the screen and didnt solve the problem so i bought a new harddisk box solved the problem maybe all you need to do is check the wires in the back. My box was damaged from all the stuff i had laying on it. so good luck
Old 10-11-08 | 02:45 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by louiegs400
hmmm, i never got had that problem
i up dated my hard drive 2004 hard drive
another gem.

OP, check your connections for the wires connecting to the nav HDD, and also on the back of your screen. its likely one of them is loose. If not, you may need to just blow some dust out of it, check your disk for scratches, or worst case scenario, a new nav HDD. If it was an LCD problem you would likely see flickering or some other more obvious and persistent symptom.
Old 10-13-08 | 06:21 AM
mpsarmi
Driver

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
another gem.

OP, check your connections for the wires connecting to the nav HDD, and also on the back of your screen. its likely one of them is loose. If not, you may need to just blow some dust out of it, check your disk for scratches, or worst case scenario, a new nav HDD. If it was an LCD problem you would likely see flickering or some other more obvious and persistent symptom.
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'll definately check the connections out. In case of a new nav HDD, how much is that in case I need to prepare for it so I don't get sticker shock. Thanks again gents!!!!
Old 10-13-08 | 07:26 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by louiegs400
the new disk runs about 200$ or so
and yet ANOTHER gem huh?
louie we dont use the same software as your car does! your last available update WAS the 2004 hard drive! well unlike the older gs where you had to upgrade the whole hard drive we can just load a new disc. we have unlimited updates where as your stuck in 2004........im in the 2nd/3rd generation version 7.1 disc!

but to answer the ? i had a problem like this before.... try blowing some chilled air (prefferably from a aerosol can designed to be used on electronics) into it and see if maybe you have some dust in it, your lcd screen might be starting to go out but its possible you have a bad connection or a loose wire. hope thats all it is good luck! oh yeah do you know what version disc you have or when it was updated last?
Old 10-13-08 | 02:29 PM
mpsarmi
Driver

As far as which disk is in there...no idea. I'll check later. Thanks again for the feedback guys!

Originally Posted by sakataj
and yet ANOTHER gem huh?
louie we dont use the same software as your car does! your last available update WAS the 2004 hard drive! well unlike the older gs where you had to upgrade the whole hard drive we can just load a new disc. we have unlimited updates where as your stuck in 2004........im in the 2nd/3rd generation version 7.1 disc!

but to answer the ? i had a problem like this before.... try blowing some chilled air (prefferably from a aerosol can designed to be used on electronics) into it and see if maybe you have some dust in it, your lcd screen might be starting to go out but its possible you have a bad connection or a loose wire. hope thats all it is good luck! oh yeah do you know what version disc you have or when it was updated last?
Old 10-13-08 | 02:31 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mpsarmi
As far as which disk is in there...no idea. I'll check later. Thanks again for the feedback guys!
Nav HDD means the computer unit itself, not the disk.

Since 4ntvings isn't here to say it, don't ever listen to louie on this forum.
Old 10-13-08 | 02:40 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj

get some of that compressed air and start blowing it everywhere to clean out the system/area and double check your connections everywhere. i know Son worked on your car, so double check everything (ixxx-hint hint)

OP, pm masboy to see if he can help you out with a more recent disc. he was the one who met up w/us at Son's when we were swapping our suspensions.

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
Since 4ntvings isn't here to say it,...
what did i miss? LOL
Old 10-14-08 | 07:59 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'll definately check the connections out. In case of a new nav HDD, how much is that in case I need to prepare for it so I don't get sticker shock. Thanks again gents!!!!
you dont use a HDD that was what the older models used its a WHOLE harddrive upgrade the last update on these was a 2004, the 2001 and up models we actually use a disc and its updated 2 times a year! but i only buy them every other year! check the trunk should be on the right side of the trunk.........little hump covering a black unit! thats your nav unit!