GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weapon R Intake and Cold air box install

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-02, 10:25 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Enginyr did you install this air intake system yourself? did it come with good instructions? Did you have to drill or make any new holes?

Do you really need the ECU to benefit from all this?

Thanks

Tony
Old 02-24-02, 12:43 AM
Chan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but...isn't the Weapon R filter made of foam? I was told that foam filters are horrid for filtering dirt and stuff.
Old 02-24-02, 01:48 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by Tony
Enginyr did you install this air intake system yourself? did it come with good instructions? Did you have to drill or make any new holes?

Do you really need the ECU to benefit from all this?

Thanks

Tony
The instructions...HA! What instructions? . It comes with one sheet of paper and about 10(1 line sentence) steps on how to install it. Luckily the design speaks for itself. It does not mension anything about the cold air box. (Like intalling the Cold Air Box before puting the filter on)...but not a biggie.

I did not have to make any new holes but the existing holes did not match up without bending the sheet metal to fit.

By the way I have been driving a few days now and in cold weather it REALLY seems to affect the performance

As for the whistle sound, its starting to grow on my quite nicely. I WILL NOT BE dynomating the Cold Air Box. My girl friend thinks I have a turbo now.....lol

Leo (Weapon R rep).......Thanks for the group buy price

My plexi glass window is going in next weekend. I am thinking about etching WR in the plexiglass then having the neon back lite the logo. I think having the WR logo will match better than the lexus logo.
Old 02-24-02, 06:54 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by enginyr

The instructions...HA! What instructions? . It comes with one sheet of paper and about 10(1 line sentence) steps on how to install it. Luckily the design speaks for itself. It does not mension anything about the cold air box. (Like intalling the Cold Air Box before puting the filter on)...but not a biggie.

I did not have to make any new holes but the existing holes did not match up without bending the sheet metal to fit.

By the way I have been driving a few days now and in cold weather it REALLY seems to affect the performance

As for the whistle sound, its starting to grow on my quite nicely. I WILL NOT BE dynomating the Cold Air Box. My girl friend thinks I have a turbo now.....lol

Leo (Weapon R rep).......Thanks for the group buy price

My plexi glass window is going in next weekend. I am thinking about etching WR in the plexiglass then having the neon back lite the logo. I think having the WR logo will match better than the lexus logo.
Enginyr- We need to meet up. I just ordered my WR Intake/CAB. I would like to share ideas about the CAB and other things about our cars. It scary, we think to much alike.
Old 02-24-02, 06:59 PM
enginyr
Banned

PM me with your phone number...Wednesday night I will be cruising to Topanga and Ventura's Starbucks. RICE ROCKET NIGHT. If you wana role.....
Old 02-24-02, 11:53 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

Hey guys i have pics of the Injen for the GS400 i siad was at our meet yesterday

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/monetaryf...iew=t&.hires=t
Old 02-25-02, 12:36 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Whats that thing covering the filter on the Injen intake?

How much does the Injen intake cost?
Old 02-25-02, 03:32 AM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by Intellexual
Whats that thing covering the filter on the Injen intake?

How much does the Injen intake cost?
That thing on the filter is their optional heat shield looks like the guy bought that for the looks only cause its shielding the wrong way.

The one for the IS300 is $238.99, so I would think the one for the GS would be close to that price

Bob Baker Lexus of El Cajon are Dealers of Injen the guy driving that car works there his name is Kevin his number at the dealer ship is 619.564.5398 or 800.564.5398

I would surly consider this over the WR intake as the filters on Weapon R are made of foam, which filters poorly and can fall apart and get in the motor.
Old 02-25-02, 06:04 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

yeah, I believe the Injen uses a K&N filter element which is a combonation of steel mesh and cotton(sandwiched in the steel). I have one in my intake and it works fairly well. It filters better than a blitz and is cleanable. I think they suggest every 10k miles.
Old 02-25-02, 08:26 AM
HKG HARRIER
Rookie

Hey hubbard.. what problems did you have?
Give me a call and i'll have one of the tech's help you out..
Old 02-25-02, 12:52 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

IS people leave the GS people alone!!!!! we can figure things out by our selfs.... and as far as WeaponR goes..... the intake/airbox system works Great for the GS... sorry it didnt work out for the is300

go back to your is300.net CyA
Old 02-25-02, 01:50 PM
HKG HARRIER
Rookie

Lightbulb Foam Filters...

Actually we just finalized the intake and COld Airbox for the IS300.. But that's off the subject.. ***Cough ** Cough** Have you heard of HKS / Greddy / PiperCross / RE Amemia / Just to name a few which use the same foam as All WR filters..

This is a simple age old preference of different people..
Most MotoCross Racers i know swear by Foam, because it protects their engine very well.. 50% of sport bike people i know use K&N, simply because someone else told them it's good..
It's just preference.. I've for 1 have seen the performance difference between the K&N filters and WR filters on the dyno..

And FYI.. Our New dragon Filters have a Mesh Cage sandwiching the foam, so the thought of the filter even getting sucked up is crazy.. Weapon*R never had any problems with foam falling apart, much rather Cotton.. Foam is a Plastic.. Iv'e never seen a foam filter Catch on fire, falll apart , etc... I would figure cotton filters would be more subjectable to fire or faling apart since it's natural, not man made..

Some people just need to sit down and think logically and for themselves...
Old 02-25-02, 07:57 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Hey enginyr,

It has been ahile. I see you have done a few mods. Can you notice any HP gains? You say your going to install the ECU. Take notice of the before and after Hp gains. Oh and how is the gas mileage with the intake?
Old 02-25-02, 11:00 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by Civic Si-r
Hey enginyr,

It has been ahile. I see you have done a few mods. Can you notice any HP gains? You say your going to install the ECU. Take notice of the before and after Hp gains. Oh and how is the gas mileage with the intake?

Benifits of any intake (not just this one) are great and should be done to any car (cheapest hp gain per dollar imo). I wish the weopon-r reps were as good to me as my intake ( I WILL NEVER EVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM Weapon-R) Sales man needs some serious help. Leo-not to get too personal on this thread but if I ever see you in the street.....keep walking or should I say running.
Old 02-25-02, 11:39 PM
Chan
Driver School Candidate

Honestly...I think the heatsheild for the GS and 1st gen(IS300, no longer avalible) Injen intakes just really gets in the way, blocks off too much airflow.

If you're a GS owner and want a heatsheild for your intake, make one yourself.

Quick Reply: Weapon R Intake and Cold air box install