GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

damn, I have to balance the tire every two weeks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 02:26 PM
derricklee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damn, I have to balance the tire every two weeks!

Why do I have to do the balance every two weeks? What could be the problems? I have GS430 with stock 17” wheel. with Michelin tire. No matter how often I rotate the tire. Two in the front will be out of balance and caused vibration. But I balance the tire it will drive like brand new. Is the problem from struts. I notice one of the strut on the front right has a little bit oil leak. I do push down the hood to see if the car bounce back. But it looks ok for me. It just hits 70k miles. I notice a lot of member has vibration. But I guess it is only for those member who use big wheels. Any expert suggestion for me???
Old 10-13-08, 02:38 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by derricklee
Why do I have to do the balance every two weeks? What could be the problems? I have GS430 with stock 17” wheel. with Michelin tire. No matter how often I rotate the tire. Two in the front will be out of balance and caused vibration. But I balance the tire it will drive like brand new. Is the problem from struts. I notice one of the strut on the front right has a little bit oil leak. I do push down the hood to see if the car bounce back. But it looks ok for me. It just hits 70k miles. I notice a lot of member has vibration. But I guess it is only for those member who use big wheels. Any expert suggestion for me???
wheel shake is not exclusive to people running plus sized wheels. I have stock 16's and a steering rack bushing upgrade reduced the vibration, but did not cure it. The shake is not caused by the struts, though if one is leaking oil you should definitely look into getting them replaced. If it's a stock wheel that you dont mind having the hammered on weights on when balancing, tell them to use those. I have noticed that stick on weights are horribly unreliable, in that if the area they are applied to is not cleaned properly they can fall off, either just due to weather or with a powerwasher, etc.

these cars are notorious for loose steering, it was made that way to give more of the luxury car feeling to the car. Try having the shop tighten the steering rack just a little bit. This may reduce some of the vibration. Also think about replacing the steering rack bushings while you're at it. My 01 with 132k, after having the bushings replaced, reduced the wheel shake at highway speeds about 80% and reduced shake under braking at highway speeds by about 50%.
Old 10-13-08, 03:31 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You seem to say everything is perfect after balance, but then gets unbalanced 2weeks later? If so, then the problem has nothing to do with the rest of your car, just the wheels/tires.

Check to see if the tire is staying on the rim. It is possible that the rubber is slipping. Draw a line with chalk or something across the rubber onto the rim after balance, and check it later to see if it moved. Like the previous poster, maybe double check to see if the wheelweights have fallen off.
Old 10-13-08, 03:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yup. the tire may be slipping hence why it may be fine after you rebalance the tires.

BTW I had stick-on weights. Mine fell out a few weeks ago and I was dreaded with vibration.
Old 10-13-08, 04:09 PM
derricklee
Driver

Originally Posted by raytseng
You seem to say everything is perfect after balance, but then gets unbalanced 2weeks later? If so, then the problem has nothing to do with the rest of your car, just the wheels/tires.

Check to see if the tire is staying on the rim. It is possible that the rubber is slipping. Draw a line with chalk or something across the rubber onto the rim after balance, and check it later to see if it moved. Like the previous poster, maybe double check to see if the wheelweights have fallen off.

can believe the tire will get slippage??? i will try to test it as what you said. but if that is the case. how can i fix it. is it normal for GS?
Old 10-13-08, 04:14 PM
derricklee
Driver

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
wheel shake is not exclusive to people running plus sized wheels. I have stock 16's and a steering rack bushing upgrade reduced the vibration, but did not cure it. The shake is not caused by the struts, though if one is leaking oil you should definitely look into getting them replaced. If it's a stock wheel that you dont mind having the hammered on weights on when balancing, tell them to use those. I have noticed that stick on weights are horribly unreliable, in that if the area they are applied to is not cleaned properly they can fall off, either just due to weather or with a powerwasher, etc.

these cars are notorious for loose steering, it was made that way to give more of the luxury car feeling to the car. Try having the shop tighten the steering rack just a little bit. This may reduce some of the vibration. Also think about replacing the steering rack bushings while you're at it. My 01 with 132k, after having the bushings replaced, reduced the wheel shake at highway speeds about 80% and reduced shake under braking at highway speeds by about 50%.

at the begining. tire rack is teh problem comes out of my mind. but the car just drives perfect after i did the balance. no vibaration up to 100mph but for sure i will replace both front strut, maybe two reat strut also. i have to start search some good deal in some local shops.
Old 10-13-08, 04:57 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like the stick on weights are flying off. check them after balance so you know how many are on there and keep an eye on them.
Old 10-13-08, 05:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the tire is slipping, like others said. Mostly happens with chrome wheels.

Btw, on the loose steering... I heard that Lexus designed the steering column to be loose, so that it would collapse in an event of an accident.
Old 10-15-08, 11:54 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sounds like the tire is slipping, like others said. Mostly happens with chrome wheels.

Btw, on the loose steering... I heard that Lexus designed the steering column to be loose, so that it would collapse in an event of an accident.
That does not make sense... how can the tire slip from the chrome wheels when pressure is applied to it lol
Old 10-16-08, 12:04 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a slight vibration also that i gave up on.
Old 10-16-08, 12:16 AM
lexusgs408
Lead Lap

oh boy that sucks to have all the little problems..................
Old 10-16-08, 01:15 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
That does not make sense... how can the tire slip from the chrome wheels when pressure is applied to it lol
Have you ever mounted a tire before?
I think something is wrong with your conception of how tires attach to rims.

Google finds this article that explains with pictures: http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/rimslip.pdf
Old 10-16-08, 01:20 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by Och
Where the heck is all this mis-information coming from.
Old 10-16-08, 07:32 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
Have you ever mounted a tire before?
I think something is wrong with your conception of how tires attach to rims.

Google finds this article that explains with pictures: http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/rimslip.pdf
Yea your right, but it saying when the tech installs it new when you apply the wrong lub.
Old 10-16-08, 08:37 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As someone already mentioned...tire is slipping from the rim.

You know what that means? Time to buy some nice bling bling wheels vs. paying someone to re-balance every 2 weeks.

Good luck.

Pete

Quick Reply: damn, I have to balance the tire every two weeks!