GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need some advice on 2002 GS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-02, 08:07 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need some advice on 2002 GS430

Or maybe I just need someone to tell me what I want to hear . I'm considering a couple 2002 430's for a purchase.

#1. Silver Ext/Grey Int with ML/NAV, Wood steering wheel, spoiler, 17" alloys.

#2. Black Ext/Grey Int with just the premium package.

Questions.

1. on #2, are dealers able to add the wood steering wheel as an option if the original car didn't come with it? I don't really see why this would be a problem, but maybe it is. I gotta have that wheel.

2. general, I've done a lot of reading on the ML audio and the Nav system. I realize that there is no matching the design and layout of the factory solutions. Many people feel that after market nav systems are much more accurate and up-to-date. For example, I'd considered going with an Alpine or similar LCD/CD Receiver and a custom car computer running TravRoute CoPilot 2002 (this is supposed to spank every nav system out there according to GPS enthusiasts). What do you think? Many people also seem to feel that upgrading/replacing the default factory stereo (??Nami??sp??) to sound better than the ML wouldn't really cost that much. What are your thoughts?

I'm kind of indifferent at this point. I never really thought that I'd consider not getting it completely loaded (like #1 is) until I started to realize that with the $$ I'd save going with #2 I could put together a NAV/DVD/Computer system that would surpase the ML/NAV options. Then I realized that without a spoiler I could get something alittle more sporty, or maybe not at all! Due to the couple months of mild winter we have here, the 16's would certainly make better light snow tires than the 17's and I'd be buying a new set of sprint/summer/fall wheels/tires anyway.

I've stronly considered just ordering a car as well, but I'd still have the same dilemma of not knowing exactly what I would order.. other than the exterior silver and interior black combo. But then again, a grey interior is much easier to keep looking clean than black is. gimme your general thoughts guys, you've got more experience with these cars that I do.

Last edited by Hohlraum; 02-22-02 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-19-02, 08:32 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm partial since I have a fully loaded 01 GS430, but I would go with option #1. If you do all the parts and out of pocket expenses to have what option #1 had, then you'd probably brake even pricewise unless you install the audio equip. yourself. Then on the resale front, some people will see aftermarket NAV/Stereo and be hesistant, etc. Unless you are keeping this car for a long time. As for 16's, I'll probably be selling mine this summer since I will use my 17's for all season, once I get my 18's. I would hold out for black interior, but I have that so I'm partial to it. I never even considered Grey int. when I ordered my car. Another plus for the fully loaded is with a factory installed spoiler there is no 3rd brake light on the interior rear deck, I hated it when I had my GS400 and my spoiler (dealer installed). Also my GS400 was black and it was a pain in the a$$ to keep clean, so I went Silver on the 430 and I love it. Regardless of what you do, you are getting a great car. Best of luck deciding and keep us posted on what you go with.
Old 02-19-02, 08:33 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Definitely #1, why ? Well, IMHO adding the woodwheel would be costly with the whole airbag situation, factory NAV I feel just blends in better, you'll regret not having 17" wheels, and I think the spoiler looks nice on the GS. Add to the fact that black cars are rather hard to keep clean and hide swirl marks and silver is so much easier to hide dirt, etc.
Old 02-19-02, 11:55 AM
altaf
Pole Position

I'd go w/option #1, but also find out what the price difference is between the two, since you can live w/o the ML/NAV.

Personally, I like the all leather steering, but you've gotta have the wood, so you might as well get it and have no regrets later.
Old 02-19-02, 12:23 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Originally posted by GS430 GUY
I'm partial since I have a fully loaded 01 GS430, but I would go with option #1. If you do all the parts and out of pocket expenses to have what option #1 had, then you'd probably brake even pricewise unless you install the audio equip. yourself. Then on the resale front, some people will see aftermarket NAV/Stereo and be hesistant, etc. Unless you are keeping this car for a long time.
I'm more concerned with the quality of the system than whether I break even in the end. As well as the NAV unit fits with the car, I'm thinking that I'll just end up being disappointed with its coverage detail. Not to mention everyone in the electronics forumn suspects lexus is up to no good with the NAV updates. I probably would be having the factory head unit put back in if and when I sold it (4 years or so) and any speaker installation would be none invasive. The main problem with the ML audio or even the base audio is that there is no good way to get a good quality auxilary audio into it. Tape converters and FM Modulators are suck. I'd say that the whole ML/NAV vs. Nakamachi(sp?) is probably the toughest decision for me right now. I can't say that even if I did order one that I'd opt for them.

As for 16's, I'll probably be selling mine this summer since I will use my 17's for all season, once I get my 18's.
Those 17's wouldn't make good snow tires here. I would probably replace the tires with 16" winter tires and I plan on getting new spring/summer/fall 18" wheel/tires.

I would hold out for black interior, but I have that so I'm partial to it. I never even considered Grey int. when I ordered my car.
Also my GS400 was black and it was a pain in the a$$ to keep clean, so I went Silver on the 430 and I love it..
My current car is black with camel leather interior and the black is definately a *****, it looks nice though. I agree I think the Silver/Black is the best combo but the problem is finding one. I really dislike the idea of waiting 3 months for a car, esp when the warranty on my current car expires in 1.5 to 2 months. Not to mention that interest rates are GREAT right now.

Another plus for the fully loaded is with a factory installed spoiler there is no 3rd brake light on the interior rear deck, I hated it when I had my GS400 and my spoiler (dealer installed). Regardless of what you do, you are getting a great car. Best of luck deciding and keep us posted on what you go with.
I probably wouldn't be putting a factory wing on it anyway, it would be something alittle lower profile than the factor one.

I'll letchoo guys know. I guess if I hadn't experienced PC based GPS software before seeing the OEM stuff I probably wouldn't be constantly reminding myself of how utterly superior it (TravRoute CoPilot for example) is.

I really appreciate the feed back, anyone else got a few more cents to throw in?
Old 02-19-02, 12:28 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Originally posted by altaf
I'd go w/option #1, but also find out what the price difference is between the two, since you can live w/o the ML/NAV.

Personally, I like the all leather steering, but you've gotta have the wood, so you might as well get it and have no regrets later.
My current steering wheel is all leather. After sliding my hands over a GS430 wood steering wheel I almost can't imagine buying one without the wood.

Maybe if the video splice for the LCD was more prevailent than just one shop in brooklyn installing it; I'd be more receptive to the OEM Nav. That way if I experienced as many problems as most people seem to have with it, I could just feed my own video to it.
Old 02-19-02, 04:16 PM
sleeper
Driver School Candidate

i'm planning to get s G3 in March and i'm also undecided on whether to get just premium package and put aftermarket parts or get a loaded one.

but since you're getting a G4, might as well just get it fully loaded and keep the clean look.
Old 02-19-02, 06:27 PM
Need For Speed
Driver

Default GS 430

I just purchased a GS430 a day ago just like your #1. If I were u go with #1 and get everything out of the way, plus with silver u won't c as many scratches or be so picky.
Old 02-19-02, 06:33 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: GS 430

Originally posted by Need For Speed
I just purchased a GS430 a day ago just like your #1. If I were u go with #1 and get everything out of the way, plus with silver u won't c as many scratches or be so picky.
I agree totally! After having owned 4 Black cars, (which I really enjoyed the color WHEN IT WAS CLEAN!) it is nothing short of a "Pain in the a**" to keep a black car looking good. If I were to get a newer more powerful GS (if they come correct) my next color scheme would be either White or Silver w/ Black Leather.
Old 02-19-02, 06:35 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: GS 430

Originally posted by Need For Speed
I agree totally! After having owned 4 Black cars, (which I really enjoyed the color WHEN IT WAS CLEAN!) it is nothing short of a "Pain in the a**" to keep a black car looking good. If I were to get a newer more powerful GS (if they come correct) my next color scheme would be either White or Silver w/ Black Leather. Although my car stays pretty much clean and garaged, I actually only wash it about once every other week! But do to my daily california dusting & Meguiars spray-on Quick Detail, people think I wash my car every-other-day! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 02-19-02, 07:46 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

If you MUST have the wood/leather wheel then you have to go with #1 or special order the car.

Price for W/L wheel? Hold on to your seats folks!!

The dealer upgrade from leather to W/L is going to set you back over a grand. Check with your dealer. You may be able to get the wheel a little cheaper from Steve Ganz and have it installed by a less expensive shop than Lexus...and I wonder if the install would be a possible warranty issue.*

Aftermarket steering wheels and covers are available. I believe I've seen the wheels discussed on the site with prices like $550 - $1,200 but can't tell you from where... another warranty issue?

====================================
Wouldn't want to have to find out the hard way...
Old 02-20-02, 04:11 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hohlraum, I'd vote #1. ML vs Nakamichi? Moot point. ML replaced Nakamichi in '01 as the upgrade audio option, so it's either ML or the premium system which is, I believe, Pioneer. Doesn't sound bad though.

I understand your reluctance to order, but Marty and I did just that. 3 months is a pain, but you end up with precisely the car you want (I wanted ML but not NAV, no spoiler and no chrome......try and find one!). As far as the wood wheel, it's gorgeous and cheap if optioned on the car to begin with but hideously, unreasonably expensive to change to after the fact, just as Marty pointed out. It may be closer to 2 bills than 1!!

Get the 17s anyway. For $232 you get 5 very nice wheels and tires which you can sell for WAY more than that (ask your dealer what the replacement price for 1 17" wheel is, without the tire......you'll be amazed), pay for a set of dedicated snows on 16s from TireRack and still have a fair chunk of change towards your 18s.

Nothing to add to the color debate. Either way, a great car, so no bad choices!!!
Old 02-20-02, 08:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,658 Posts

Hohlraum... you seem to have already made up your mind to go with aftermarket stuff even though the Lexus nav and ML are the best factory systems out there. Sure you *might* save a few $ and *might* end up with a better nav or audio system, but you could also well end up with a mess, not to mention the hassle of all the time spent figuring out what you need, having it installed, etc.

Knock yourself out.
Old 02-20-02, 11:29 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Hohlraum... you seem to have already made up your mind to go with aftermarket stuff even though the Lexus nav and ML are the best factory systems out there. Sure you *might* save a few $ and *might* end up with a better nav or audio system, but you could also well end up with a mess, not to mention the hassle of all the time spent figuring out what you need, having it installed, etc.

Knock yourself out.
No I haven't made up my mind actually. It really has helped to see other peoples options on this. Infact I'm pretty sure that if I had to make a split decision I'd go with the factory options instead of aftermarket. I wish I wasn't such a freak about this stuff. I'm just kinda of the opinion that when you spend 50k on something it should be exactly what you'd hoped it would be

I still disagree with everyone on the 17" wheels though. Why get the 17" wheels/tires to sell them and buy 16" winter and 18" spring/summer/fall wheels/tires? When I can just get the 16" wheels and add snow tires.. selling or keeping (for resale) the 16" factory tires and buying the 18" ones that I want for non-winter use.

I put a Poll over in the Electronics forumn for those of you that would like to contribute to the poll of OEM nav or aftermarket.
Old 02-20-02, 01:30 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hohlraum, only reason I suggested the 17s is because Lexus is giving you several thousand dollars worth of wheel and tire for $232. Selling them, and buying dedicated 16s for winter and 18s for summer, will pay the cost of the 16s and significantly defray cost of your 18s, as opposed to getting 16s with "all season" tires that are good for neither.

But it's only a suggestion; CL is, among other things, all about doing what works for you.

Quick Reply: I need some advice on 2002 GS430