GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

help trunk is stuck closed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 06:44 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help trunk is stuck closed!!!!

ok here's the deal my car has been sitting for 2 months before it got shipped. I placed some stuff in the trunk before I left so it worked before I left it. The car got delivered yesterday and now I can't get the trunk open. I hit the release in the car an the trunk won't pop open. I've tried to put the master key into the trunk key hole but it will only go in a quarter of the way. I've tried to put the master key in the key hole in between the trunk and gas release but the key tip only goes in and I can't turn the key. I can't use the key trunk realease button to pop the trunk because the battery is dead on the key.

Any help would be greatly appreciated the closest Lexus dealer is 100 miles away so I don't want to go there's if it's a simple fix I'm over looking.
Old 10-15-08, 06:56 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tell the guy inside to stop holding it closed.

jk, sounds like someone was messing around with your keyhole if you can only push it in a quarter of the way. just swap out the battery on the key man, i think it takes a 1616 battery or a 2020 battery, one of those, or something similar and it can be had for 3 bucks at your local drug store.

gl!

c.
Old 10-15-08, 07:01 AM
scottgs
Pole Position

Also it kinda sounds like your truck wasnt all the way latched. Try pushing down on the trunk and putting your key in then.
What did you put in the trunk? Could it had hit the release cable or latch to knock it aray?
Old 10-15-08, 07:53 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scottgs
Also it kinda sounds like your truck wasnt all the way latched. Try pushing down on the trunk and putting your key in then.
What did you put in the trunk? Could it had hit the release cable or latch to knock it aray?
Just some boxes. I don't think it knocked the cable out. If it did what can I do about it or am I screwed? I just went out and pushed down on the trunk and it's closed. Same results.
Old 10-15-08, 08:13 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

something simalar happened to me, I ended up crawling through the back seat with a flash light and a socket wrench and unbolted the lock so I could work on it that way...
Old 10-15-08, 08:28 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
something simalar happened to me, I ended up crawling through the back seat with a flash light and a socket wrench and unbolted the lock so I could work on it that way...
I was afraid you were going to say that. How big is the hole you crawled through? Cuz I'll have to get by my compressor/tank and get the boxes out before I can get to the lock.
Old 10-15-08, 08:51 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Seems like the only solution to me too
Old 10-15-08, 09:04 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

actually it was in another car, however the WHOLE trunk was a woofer box! I had about 4 inches of hole JUST enough to stick my arm through and the flashlight and about six 3" extensions (LoL, I didnt have a long one yet) and turned little by little until it came off.. now remember, all you have to remove is the part bolted to the rear of the trunk (the ring thingy). I believe 4 bolts and thats it... The key is having a nicely sized extension...
Old 10-15-08, 09:04 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yea and of course you've got to remove the back seat and support for ease.
Old 10-15-08, 09:34 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

s#!t man, sledge hammer would definately do the trick
Old 10-15-08, 10:51 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Removing the backseat isn't difficult at all... maybe 15 minutes of work tops... remove the bottom first, just pop it up, then unbolt the backrest... you'll have to deal with the cross members but access isn't too bad...
Old 10-15-08, 12:15 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check to make sure the button next to your inside trunk release isn't pushed in, this will lock the trunk. insert the key in it, and turn it to make sure it is all the way out.
Old 10-15-08, 12:26 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ultra Vip
I've tried to put the master key in the key hole in between the trunk and gas release but the key tip only goes in and I can't turn the key.
He already tried that.
Old 10-15-08, 12:41 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd try getting a new battery before going through all that trouble. This happened to me once and I had to climb through the backseat. It sucked.
Old 10-15-08, 12:48 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

The trunk maybe real sticky from being closed that long and baking under the sun or just the heat.

Have you tried holding the release open in the cabin and simultaneously have someone try and lift the trunk open?

Quick Reply: help trunk is stuck closed!!!!