GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to switch map light bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 10:38 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to switch map light bulbs?

I was wanting to know if anyone had any idea how (or if it was possible) to change the map light bulbs in our cars? I am referring to the lights in front of the sun roof. They are a very dull yellow and I wanted to change them to something whiter.

Is this possible? What bulb sizes and types should I use?

I tried the search function but nothing came up so if someone else has more information or can point me to a thread I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 10-15-08, 10:48 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

That plastic cover pops right off... but the two map bulbs were an odd side... I changed the center bulb and had to leave the map bulbs. You can probably just wire in an LED board if you've got the time.
Old 10-15-08, 10:49 AM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djspawn00
That plastic cover pops right off... but the two map bulbs were an odd side... I changed the center bulb and had to leave the map bulbs. You can probably just wire in an LED board if you've got the time.
yea what he said ^
Old 10-15-08, 10:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by djspawn00
I have NO idea how to do that and am afraid to start splicing and dicing into my car. I wonder if I could just order some bulbs if they are hard to find?
Old 10-15-08, 04:10 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

you can find led bulb replacement so theres no splicing or wiring needed. That's what I did. do a search with my name and led lights, I think I posted a link somewhere that tells you the bulb size of every bulb on our car.
Old 10-15-08, 05:24 PM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

I switched the map lights to 6LED white ones. Honestly, the light output is ridiculous and I have to use the vanity mirror light to read ANYTHING in my car. It looks good though.
Old 10-15-08, 06:26 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Downfall75
I switched the map lights to 6LED white ones. Honestly, the light output is ridiculous and I have to use the vanity mirror light to read ANYTHING in my car. It looks good though.
ridiculous as in how? Bad? I replaced mine and they are ridiculously bright! but then again, when doing the l.e.d upgrade I got all the damn expensive ones to make sure I didnt have the problem!
Old 10-15-08, 09:34 PM
KurtK
Rookie

So Jokester what kind did you get then?
Old 10-15-08, 09:36 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i forgot the bulb type but i know i've seen LED boards on ebay that come prewired to the appropriate connector base...
Old 10-15-08, 09:43 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

They are BA9S bulbs.
Old 10-15-08, 11:20 PM
jacksonvp
Pole Position

I'm actually in the midst of my LED/HID review thread.

I bought all of my parts from V-Leds.com

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/32481

It can be a very difficult choice because the site has tons of options. But I talked to a rep through email and found a VERY good solution. I know they have bigger LED boards for the dome light. However, I wanted it to sit recessed from the cover so it didn't show LED "hot spots". The map lights are positioned so they fire directly into the focal point of the lens. The finished product is an extremely bright display without hot spots or glare issues. All of the light fires down instead of into my eyes while driving.

The representative helped out a lot with the suggestion to open up the housings first and check out what works best, because there is a lot of engineering from the factory as to how it will work best, so cramming as much as you can in there isn't always the best way...

Heres a quick photo (makes my headliner look gross ), I'm going to do a full writeup in a week or two, the car just came out of the body shop. If you'd like part numbers I can dig up my invoice so you can order easier.

Please ask me any questions you have, I want to make this writeup very thorough, so let me know what I should include.

-Jackson

Last edited by jacksonvp; 10-15-08 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 12:02 AM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

^^My direct replacement led bulb for the dome is plenty bright for me, but i can definitely use some brighter map lights.. can't wait for your write up!
Old 10-16-08, 12:23 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KurtK
So Jokester what kind did you get then?
Similar as the pic above. But I used the 48 l.e.d circuit board..

IMO, the circuit board L.E.D.s are the best!
Old 10-16-08, 08:38 PM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
ridiculous as in how? Bad? I replaced mine and they are ridiculously bright! but then again, when doing the l.e.d upgrade I got all the damn expensive ones to make sure I didnt have the problem!
Ridiculous as in.. not bright at all! The reason why that is is because the LED points to the side rather than point down. An angled LED bulb or a LED board would probably solve that problem.. but for now I'll stick with what I have since I don't use that light that often anyway.

Blurry.. but you can see how I set mine up. BTW, my mistake, they are 4LEDs.

Last edited by Downfall75; 10-16-08 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 11:53 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Downfall75
Ridiculous as in.. not bright at all! The reason why that is is because the LED points to the side rather than point down. An angled LED bulb or a LED board would probably solve that problem.. but for now I'll stick with what I have since I don't use that light that often anyway.

Blurry.. but you can see how I set mine up. BTW, my mistake, they are 4LEDs.
I'm not certain, but it could be cause its blue too?

Quick Reply: How to switch map light bulbs?