GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

are all strut tower braces the same?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08 | 01:50 PM
GX470GT
Driver

Default are all strut tower braces the same?

Are all strut tower braces the same in terms of quality? There are some cheap ones from tcsportsline : $69.99 and then alot more expensive stuff from trd etc.
Old 10-17-08 | 02:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Ideally, you want one that doesn't have a pivot joint like the bars offered at tcsportsline. Some bars are more rigid than others so quality is pretty much in the equation.

However, no one makes a bar that's remotely effective because of the design. I guess marketing got the best of most people
Old 10-17-08 | 03:18 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Every manufacturer gives us reasons to think their design is the best. There is always going to be debates about STBs with a pivot point design (ie: RMM) vs. the one solid piece design (ie: TRD and Carson/Carbing).

You want to make sure you get the one that fits....most ppl don't want to remove their engine cover....and prefer ones that fit over it.
Old 10-17-08 | 03:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg

However, no one makes a bar that's remotely effective because of the design. I guess marketing got the best of most people
I beg to differ. In my bone stock GS430, simply adding the Carson strut bar definitely made a noticeable difference. Now, I wont say that it greatly affects handling, but it definitely affects steering feel and feedback. The difference is night and day. Even my wife can notice it. In fact, the person I bought the bar from told me he had it on his moms GS and she didn't like the feel of it. Now, if a mom can notice a difference over stock, then I think pretty much anyone can

The similar designed strut bar I had on my Legend (The MLS one) also made a noticeable difference in feel. Again, not saying these things dramatically help performance, but it definitely helps solidify the front end and steering feel and feedback has been improved in my experience. That alone is worth it for me especially on a Lexus which could use help in that area. For some, they don't want this extra feel and feedback in the steering wheel as it is not Lexus like and you feel the more road, but I actually like that so it works well for me.
Old 10-17-08 | 03:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Yes chris. There will be some difference, but will it be as effective as it can be? Of course not. The 1-piece bars are quite bit better than the pivot jointed bars just because there is less flexing going on. However that isn't to say that's the best design when it comes to minimizing flex. A triangular bar that connects to the firewall is the best design when it comes to distributing stress point. It's just a simple case of statics for rigid bodies.

So the solid pieces are pretty good, but far from being the most effective.
Old 10-17-08 | 04:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yes chris. There will be some difference, but will it be as effective as it can be? Of course not. The 1-piece bars are quite bit better than the pivot jointed bars just because there is less flexing going on. However that isn't to say that's the best design when it comes to minimizing flex. A triangular bar that connects to the firewall is the best design when it comes to distributing stress point. It's just a simple case of statics for rigid bodies.

So the solid pieces are pretty good, but far from being the most effective.
I see what you are getting at. I agree. The triangular ones would be the best bet. The 95+ NSX uses a similar type. The stock Legend one also used a similar design to a degree. What I thought you said was that the current bars on the market were ineffective. In that case I disagreed as they are effective. The question is whether the $200 is worth its effectiveness. I think it is and is one of the cheaper upgrades one can do and actually notice a difference. It is probably a much better buy than an aftermarket intake for $200-$400 IMHO.
Old 10-17-08 | 04:24 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
...he had it on his moms GS and she didn't like the feel of it. Now, if a mom can notice a difference over stock, then I think pretty much anyone can
Gee...whats wrong with this person's mom?
Old 10-17-08 | 07:38 PM
kit cat

I think more importantly, it's how you install it.

Make sure you jack your car up then install the brace so it'll have equal load on each side. Trivial, but trust me, I've felt differences in some cases.
Old 10-17-08 | 10:56 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PHML
Gee...whats wrong with this person's mom?
Never mind. I'm just glad she didn't like it so I could finally get a strut bar that fits over the GS430 engine cover Drinks for that mom on me
Old 10-18-08 | 11:57 AM
iGOTlexy
Lead Lap

so eaven a solid one piece ****ty one of ebay would be better than a pivot joint one ?
Old 10-18-08 | 12:17 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I think more importantly, it's how you install it.

Make sure you jack your car up then install the brace so it'll have equal load on each side. Trivial, but trust me, I've felt differences in some cases.
Never thought about that actually, do people actually install it this way?
Old 10-18-08 | 12:17 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Never mind. I'm just glad she didn't like it so I could finally get a strut bar that fits over the GS430 engine cover Drinks for that mom on me
This must be the Carson Tuned STB correct?
Old 10-18-08 | 12:21 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Don't think I've seen a 1 piece on on ebay before lol. I think another big factor is how thick the bar is. The cheaper ones are obviously going to have less material. The expensive ones are going to have a thicker bar section. For example if you've seen the Tein strut bar in person. That thing is BEEFY!
Old 10-18-08 | 01:55 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

if the trd fit gs430 without having to ditch engine cover I'd have one of those.

I didn't like the look of the design for the carson gs430 one. It looked flexy because of how high the bar mounts are. but I've never tried it. if CK6Speed says he felt it, I have no reason not to believe him.

GS430 clearance:

Last edited by chuckb; 10-18-08 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-18-08 | 02:10 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Im using tein bars on my 430 because I also have tein coilovers and for the fact that they look and feel very massive and rigid. I think that by installing them they helped in rigidity and noise level. Coilovers tend to be a bit on the noisier side than stock suspension so after I put the bars on the suspension noise went down a little. This could be debated on and on until someone does some actual testing which im sure no one wants to spend the money on as to figure out which bars help out the most. Imo its a matter of choice as to which bars you use. I just stay away from ebay brand.

Quick Reply: are all strut tower braces the same?