GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2nd Gen GS, I'm comin' for ya.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08, 08:24 PM
Compass
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2nd Gen GS, I'm comin' for ya.

Hello, all.

I've admired many cars in my life, but there are three I never strayed from:

1. VW Corrado
2. Lexus GS
3. Lotus Esprit

I've done the first. The third is still a little ways off (but it will be mine, oh yes). It's now time for the second.

I fell in love with the first gen GS way back in the day, and was stunned when Lexus updated the look with their in-house design, and actually TOPPED the original Giugiaro design!

And while unfortunately I can't say the same about 1st Gen, in my opinion 2nd Gen GS hasn't really dated much in the intervening years, especially with an aftermarket grille and bumper. (The less said about 3rd Gen the better.)

So, I'm in the market for a GS400/430, preferably '00-'05, white, blue, or red (in that order) -- tan interior only. I've already looked at a couple and expect to make a move within the next month or so (although I'm not in any special hurry).

So, yeah, just mostly wanted to introduce myself. It's an exciting time for me, finally on the cusp of owning this dream car of mine. I've already sent out a few PMs requesting more pics of some of your cars, and you've all been really cool. Looking forward to joining the family.

(I could and probably should have done this years ago, but I became unnaturally attached to the Corrado... which I still love to death, and whose back I feel a little guilty going behind.)

The Past/Present:

The Future?:

[Stealth Update]: I've acquired a taste for the 3rd Gen GS in the last few months, and am not sure I can resist the lure of the 450h... so, it may be several months yet before I pull the trigger. It felt strange posting on the 3rd Gen forums without updating this, now, inaccurate thread. I still like 2nd Gen, but I don't think I'd be able to abide their ubiquity. (I can be fickle.)

Last edited by Compass; 05-26-09 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-17-08, 09:22 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Clublexus. I also love the VW Corrado but never ventured into the territory because my love for the GS won the battle. I have never regretted a day of owning my car and am looking forward to continuing the journey. Good luck with your search and your pending purchase.
Old 10-17-08, 09:30 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You cant go wrong with a modified GS. People always are shocked when i tell them my GS is a 2002
Old 10-17-08, 10:17 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome and good luck with your purchase
Old 10-17-08, 10:55 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

prepare to cough up some wild amount of $$$ and welcome
Old 10-17-08, 11:17 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Hope you find what you're looking for, and good luck with your search.
Old 10-17-08, 11:27 PM
JLAM
Pole Position

Nice looking corrado! Is yours a g60 or vr6? I always been a VW fan. I've owned two mk2 jetta 16v. Good luck on your search for a GS, they're great cars!
Old 10-17-08, 11:54 PM
g35cali
Driver

i want a white gs so bad
Old 10-18-08, 12:53 PM
Compass
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzionn
prepare to cough up some wild amount of $$$ and welcome
As a Corrado owner, I'm quite accustomed to coughing up wild amounts of $$$.

Originally Posted by JLAM
Nice looking corrado! Is yours a g60 or vr6? I always been a VW fan. I've owned two mk2 jetta 16v. Good luck on your search for a GS, they're great cars!
Thanks!. It's a VR6. And I can't really say I'm a VW fan in general, rather I just love that one car of theirs (although Sciroccos can be pretty cool too [not the brand new ones mind you ::shudder::]).

Appreciate the warm welcome. I'll definitely post again once I've made my purchase.
Old 10-18-08, 03:21 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Compass, are you by chace a female? If you're not, I apologize, I just figured by your avatar and the emotion in your writing...and the color of your Corrado. If you are, that's pretty cool!

Your cars represent all of life's stages: high school, family car, and comfortable retiree.
Old 10-18-08, 03:39 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Compass
Hello, all.

I've admired many cars in my life, but there are three I never strayed from:

1. VW Corrado
2. Lexus GS
3. Lotus Esprit

I've done the first. The third is still a little ways off (but it will be mine, oh yes). It's now time for the second.

I fell in love with the first gen GS way back in the day, and was stunned when Lexus updated the look with their in-house design, and actually TOPPED the original Giugiaro design!

And while unfortunately I can't say the same about 1st Gen, in my opinion 2nd Gen GS hasn't really dated much in the intervening years, especially with an aftermarket grille and bumper. (The less said about 3rd Gen the better.)

So, I'm in the market for a GS400/430, preferably '00-'05, white, blue, or red (in that order) -- tan interior only. I've already looked at a couple and expect to make a move within the next month or so (although I'm not in any special hurry).

So, yeah, just mostly wanted to introduce myself. It's an exciting time for me, finally on the cusp of owning this dream car of mine. I've already sent out a few PMs requesting more pics of some of your cars, and you've all been really cool. Looking forward to joining the family.

(I could and probably should have done this years ago, but I became unnaturally attached to the Corrado... which I still love to death, and whose back I feel a little guilty going behind.)

The Past/Present:

The Future?:
hey thats my car !!
Old 10-18-08, 05:58 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^sexy *** car!

welcome to the boards! =)
Old 10-18-08, 09:43 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent123
^sexy *** car!

welcome to the boards! =)
umm thanks i have been here since august 02 my car not compasses car lol
Old 10-18-08, 11:18 PM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to CL.

I loved the 2GS when it came out, and it's still a hot car when modded properly.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-19-08, 09:33 AM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister T
Welcome to CL.

I loved the 2GS when it came out, and it's still a hot car when modded properly.

Good luck with your search.
gotta agree with you on that one, my girlfriend asks me "why buy and 6 year old car when u can get a new car for a few grand more" and i told her "it's not the same quality"

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen GS, I'm comin' for ya.