GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Trouble emerges again

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-02, 09:27 PM
sTWO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trouble emerges again

To anyone who can help,

I started experiencing some awful shaking and noise from suspension of my car within the past week, and just yesterday it got to the point where it became unsafe to drive (the back feels like it is about to fishtail everytime I make a turn). Since my car is still under warranty (from a suspension standpoint), I dropped the car off at Lexus and asked them to fix it.

I get called back and was basically told they will not work on the suspension problem unless my "brake lines are replaced with stock ones". I then informed him that the ones in my car were stock and I had in fact just put them in after ordering the parts from Carson Toyota. Then the service rep replies back by saying that "those are 2001 brake lines, you need '99 ones". To say the least, I was and still am very skeptical (how the hell can there be a meaningful difference, if it does in fact exist?). They're quoting me around $400 for the process and say they cannot work on the suspension under warranty until this "problem is resolved."

Any suggestions?

I've currently asked them to order the parts since I don't have much of a choice the way I see it, but if I come up with a reasonable solution by tomorrow it's not too late to cancel.

Thanks in advance,
Old 02-19-02, 09:40 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How in the hell are brake lines related to suspension. From what I understand, unless you did something to void the suspension warranty ie., aftermarket springs,shocks, etc, then they can refuse to fix your suspension under warranty. But having aftermarket brake lines or newer ones should not void car warranty, just brake warranty. It sounds to me that you need to find another dealership fast. Smells like crap..
Old 02-19-02, 09:52 PM
sTWO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LXOGOOD

How in the hell are brake lines related to suspension. From what I understand, unless you did something to void the suspension warranty ie., aftermarket springs,shocks, etc, then they can refuse to fix your suspension under warranty.
Good question to begin with, and I can't answer how they're related to the suspension. I have never done anything to my stock springs, shocks, or anything else suspension-related. Closest thing I've done is the brakelines.

But having aftermarket brake lines or newer ones should not void car warranty, just brake warranty. It sounds to me that you need to find another dealership fast. Smells like crap..
I agree with you on that, and ironically enough, I had stock ones placed back into my car just weeks ago. Yes it does smell like crap, but unfortunately the other dealerships are echoing similar vibes. I think it's part of some sort of Ultimate Mechanics Profit Guide.

Anyhow, I'm trying to dig-up some information on the supposed 2001 GS brake lines I ordered and find out if there is indeed a difference between '99 and '01 stock lines. I seriously doubt there is, but I need hard proof.

Thanks,
Old 02-20-02, 12:31 AM
kschiu
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I would suggest to try another dealer. My car develops a squeal in the front suspension. When I take it in to the dealer I bought the car. They first pretend tehat they can't reproduce it. after I test drive with them and "reproduce" the noise just getting out of the dealer lot. They then claim that noise and rattle warranty are only cover for 1 year and quote me $500 just to diagnose it. Basically use excuse to get you off their lot. Really bad business ethics.

I take it to another dealer. they basically replace all the front end components that has bushing to get the problem fixed. Takes 2 weeks to wait for parts and stuffs.

Try it with another dealer.
Old 02-20-02, 08:20 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default your situation

I would contact Lexus' corporate office and let them know that a dealer is refusing to perform warranty repairs and that a safety issue is involved. I think they would be more than interested to hear about it.