GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weak acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 04:56 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Weak acceleration

For the first time since i bought my gs3 last november im disappointed with it. i was on the interstate heading to class and i punched it to get in front of a truck that wouldnt move over. it just felt like there wasnt any get up and go. maybe its all in my head. i do have bad piston rings but would that effect the performance that much?
Old 10-22-08, 05:19 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j_version_
For the first time since i bought my gs3 last november im disappointed with it. i was on the interstate heading to class and i punched it to get in front of a truck that wouldnt move over. it just felt like there wasnt any get up and go. maybe its all in my head. i do have bad piston rings but would that effect the performance that much?
yeah, bad piston rings would kill your performance because you're probably losing compression. get that fixed asap man, that could cause serious problems.
Old 10-22-08, 06:33 PM
LexFather

Clean ur throttle body.
Add some fuel injector concentrate cleaner
Maybe new spark plugs.

Check those things first.
Old 10-22-08, 06:36 PM
llllee4
Driver School Candidate

damn, you make me stress..i've been feeling that lately too...i just changed my tires less than 500 miles ago and my car feels like crap.

hmmmmm, we need a how-to sticky on this...
Old 10-22-08, 06:42 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llllee4
damn, you make me stress..i've been feeling that lately too...i just changed my tires less than 500 miles ago and my car feels like crap.

hmmmmm, we need a how-to sticky on this...
i believe there is one on JeffTsai's diy site...

TB cleaning, air filter, plugs, injectors, fuel filter and the rest of the usual suspects yeah but the guy just said he already knows he has bad piston rings. An engine that was designed to run at (i believe) 10.5:1 or 11:1 compression with GOOD rings is losing serious compression. Low compression + no forced induction to match = horrible acceleration.
Old 10-23-08, 12:28 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

ok so I'm tryin to get some prices on new piston rings I can't really afford it right now but I love my car and I don't wann get rid of it for another GS and end up with the same problems. besides I've fixed everything but the door acuators on it. so how muc do you think it would run me to have this problem taken care of?
Old 10-23-08, 12:36 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

ok so I'm tryin to get some prices on new piston rings I can't really afford it right now but I love my car and I don't wann get rid of it for another GS and end up with the same problems. besides I've fixed everything but the door acuators on it. so how muc do you think it would run me to have this problem taken care of?
well that all depends on where you have it done. Parts will more than likely be in no comparison to labor for a job like this.

i'd look for the parts on your own, buy them, then look for a labor rate that you can afford but also at a reputable shop. If the shop charges 1000 (and i'm NOT providing this as an estimate, just for comparison purposes) and some backyard mechanic charges 200, it'd be in your best interest to spend the extra money. understand what i'm saying?
Old 10-23-08, 12:49 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
well that all depends on where you have it done. Parts will more than likely be in no comparison to labor for a job like this.

i'd look for the parts on your own, buy them, then look for a labor rate that you can afford but also at a reputable shop. If the shop charges 1000 (and i'm NOT providing this as an estimate, just for comparison purposes) and some backyard mechanic charges 200, it'd be in your best interest to spend the extra money. understand what i'm saying?
i get what youre saying. im definetly a believer in paying for the extra peice of mind or at least something with a warranty.
Old 10-23-08, 12:55 PM
GSLexi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not trying to jack this thread but I think I have the same issue.

The other day I decided to time my 0-60mph sprint using a stopwatch. I know it's not THAT accurate, but anyways I came up with a time of 9.17, and accuracy issues aside, I think there is a huge discrepancy between what I got and what I should have got.

I have a 98 GS300 with 230 000 kilometres = 142 915 miles
I know that there are a lot of variables involved with the time/performance figures but does this sound realistic to you guys?

If you would like to know, I had ECT Power mode set, and it was approximately 8 degrees celsius = 46 Farenheit
Old 10-23-08, 01:00 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

ive never actually tried to time mine. but all my performance comparisons came from driving my friends gs. his only has an intake and exhaust and mine is significantly weaker than his. id try driving another and see how it feels to you or take it to a shop and get it checked out
Old 10-23-08, 01:29 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSLexi
I'm not trying to jack this thread but I think I have the same issue.

The other day I decided to time my 0-60mph sprint using a stopwatch. I know it's not THAT accurate, but anyways I came up with a time of 9.17, and accuracy issues aside, I think there is a huge discrepancy between what I got and what I should have got.

I have a 98 GS300 with 230 000 kilometres = 142 915 miles
I know that there are a lot of variables involved with the time/performance figures but does this sound realistic to you guys?

If you would like to know, I had ECT Power mode set, and it was approximately 8 degrees celsius = 46 Farenheit
with no known serious issues like the OP has, try checking the usual suspects:

air filter
clean MAF sensor
clean Throttle body
check/replace fuel filter
run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through your next fillup
*check/replace spark plugs
*check injectors

*these steps should only be done if you have the mechanical know-how and the other steps didn't help much.

IIRC, the gs300 should run to 60 in appx. 7.5s? correct me if i'm wrong. I think the GS4xx should be 6s or so.
Old 10-23-08, 06:46 PM
aalouie
Driver School Candidate

Check compression, that will tell you how bad your rings are, along with all the other maintenance people have mentioned, faulty 02 sensors can mess u up 2.
Old 10-24-08, 10:13 AM
GSLexi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys. One more note I'd like to make, sometimes it feels as though I get better acceleration if I don't put the pedal all the way to the floor. The engine obviously doesn't rev to the redline in these cases, it's more around 5k rpm. When I do floor it, the initial acceleration feels slower, and at the top end the engine seems to just be making more noise and giving me very minimal increases in power. In other words, I feel like I would be going faster if the transmission would just shift into the next gear. I guess it could all be in my head though.
Old 10-24-08, 10:17 AM
j_version_
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aalouie
Check compression, that will tell you how bad your rings are, along with all the other maintenance people have mentioned, faulty 02 sensors can mess u up 2.
ive already replaced all of my o2 sensors as well as the cats. Im positive its the piston rings. I appreciate you trying to help. It would help me out even more if someone were to point me in the direction of a 2jzge motor with low miles for a good price
Old 10-24-08, 12:12 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

ive already replaced all of my o2 sensors as well as the cats. Im positive its the piston rings. I appreciate you trying to help. It would help me out even more if someone were to point me in the direction of a 2jzge motor with low miles for a good price
PM CL member 1989lexus, if i remember correctly he either came across or bought a 2jz-GE with only 11k on it

Quick Reply: Weak acceleration