GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Daylight running light always on??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-08, 06:58 AM
captaincru
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daylight running light always on??

I noticed last night that my green "daylight running light" indicator stayed on even though it was night. My headlights worked and brights worked fine, too. Anyone ever have this happen? I'm thinking the control has gone bad. Any ideas?
Old 10-25-08, 07:15 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That green indicator is actually your headlight indicator. It tells you that the headlights are on. If you turn your headlights off (daytime running lights back on), the green indicator should disappear.
Old 01-13-09, 04:59 AM
captaincru
Rookie

This is my wife's car mostly. I only drive it if we go out or to church. But, seems like that green light stays on all the time, even at night. Here too, the light switch is set on "automatic." Would that cause it to be on all the time, or when the headlights come on should it go off?
Old 01-13-09, 07:18 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
That green indicator is actually your headlight indicator. It tells you that the headlights are on. If you turn your headlights off (daytime running lights back on), the green indicator should disappear.

Originally Posted by captaincru
This is my wife's car mostly. I only drive it if we go out or to church. But, seems like that green light stays on all the time, even at night. Here too, the light switch is set on "automatic." Would that cause it to be on all the time, or when the headlights come on should it go off?
At night, and at night with it set to automatic, the headlights will be on which means the green lamp will also be on.

With the switch set to off, or In the sun with the switch set to automatic, the green indicator should be off .
Old 01-15-09, 06:09 AM
captaincru
Rookie

In my vehicle a green light is on during the day for "Daylight Running Lights", but at night when I turn the headlights on the DRL light goes off.

I forget what vehicle I'm in (mad cow) sometimes and one night I noticed the green light on in my wife's GS300 and it just struck me that it wasn't supposed to be on with the headlights on. So, I started this post and well . . . . you can't fix stupid.
Old 01-15-09, 07:10 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my vehicle a green light is on during the day for "Daylight Running Lights", but at night when I turn the headlights on the DRL light goes off.

I forget what vehicle I'm in (mad cow) sometimes and one night I noticed the green light on in my wife's GS300 and it just struck me that it wasn't supposed to be on with the headlights on. So, I started this post and well . . . . you can't fix stupid.
I still don't follow you. The green light indicator on the dash is NOT for DRL, it is for the headlights. It supposed to be on whenever the headlights are on, not DRL which on US cars don't have a DRL indicator. This is how it has been in almost every Lexus that I have owned. From your description, it sounds like your car is working exactly as it should
Old 01-15-09, 12:23 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe your wife had the headlight on all the time, that's why the indicator stayed on..when you turn off the headlight it should disappear like EVERYONE else mention..
Old 01-15-09, 01:44 PM
captaincru
Rookie

OK . . . the GS has "automatic" for lights. That's where we keep it.

1. Daytime, DRL's on, green light is on.
2. Nightime, headlights are on, green light is on.

The only time it goes off is if I turn the light swith to off.

This is good, no?
Old 01-16-09, 07:24 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK . . . the GS has "automatic" for lights. That's where we keep it.

1. Daytime, DRL's on, green light is on.
2. Nightime, headlights are on, green light is on.

The only time it goes off is if I turn the light swith to off.

This is good, no?
That sounds right. In automatic mode (I never keep mine in auto as I don't want my HID lights to be turning on and off throughout the day) the lights are in a way in standby mode ready to be turned on if the sensor indicates a dark enough condition, so the green headlight indicator probably should be on. Have to double check the owners manual on that one. Headlights off definitely the green indicator should be off. So basically, it sounds like your car is working normal and as it should.
Old 01-16-09, 06:47 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

This thread is starting to sound like the "Who's on first?" vaudeville routine.

On U.S. spec cars, the green indicator light you are speaking of is on whenever the headlights are on -- whether the headlight switch is in the "Auto" or "On" position.

On U.S. spec cars, the green indicator light you are speaking of should be off when the DRL lights are on. If the green dash light is always on during the day (which indicates that the the low beam headlights are on), then there may be a problem with the ambient light sensor on top of the dashboard or the sensitivity setting may be set to an extreme.

I don't understand why someone would not want to use the "Auto" headlight switch setting. I've found that having the headlights switch automatically between DRL and low beams when going in and out of parking garages, tunnels and other dark areas is one the best features of Lexus cars. If your lights are not switching appropriately while in "Auto" mode, the sensitivity can be adjusted with a handheld tester among five different sensitivity settings.

Personally, I think the way the green headlight indicator light works on Canadian spec Lexus cars is far superior to the way it works on US models -- it makes more sense to have the green indicator light on only when DRL is on and not when the low beam headlights are on.