GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replacement clear or colored headlight Lens: Gathering interest

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 04:49 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are these being produced without the ripples as JeffTsai mentioned?
Old 11-19-08, 08:00 AM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you even change the fog lens? I did not think they separated...
Old 11-19-08, 12:26 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are put together, so they have to be able to be taken apart.

Mine are already chipped and have pin holes in them. Nothing a hammer won't help finish either lol.
Old 11-20-08, 12:28 AM
Kaluna
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait for these. That means I got a pretty much new set of HID head lights for less than 400 bucks as a spare. Hmmm maybe I should do a LS460 retro too now.
Old 11-20-08, 08:08 AM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

I cant wait to see the finished product.
Old 11-20-08, 09:05 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

how much will these cost? i might be interesed depending on how they turn out
Old 11-21-08, 08:48 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^ Check the Original Post, details were posted.
Old 11-24-08, 09:44 PM
Top Hat
Banned

Update:
Hey! So we have been extremely busy getting all the molds made and perfecting the technique. I am impressed with how they look. When you compare them to the OEM ones side by side it is NIGHT and DAY difference. We are having problems with internet brands (the people how manage the CL vendors) so we are trying to get it all taken care of so we can extend on our membership past November.

As more and more people get involved with Top Hat (given suggestions, donating stuff like the factory headlights and fogs, ect..) I've been telling the Top Hat story over and over again. I thought I would post it on here so you guys could get to know Top Hat a little better.

I've been a clublexus member since 2003 (BigVipness) which I use for fun or organizing events, and this one for business. Owned 4 in that period of time and club lexus was a wealth of knowledge for me. Years ago I took my video camera and would film old people telling stories from there lives and then i'd turn it into a video biography of sorts. It was fun and worked pretty well till apple came out with a program that basically did it for you! So I was out of high school and out of a job and realized this was the only chance I would probably have to live the dream I'd had since I was 15. Wheel shop.

Well I couldn't exactly afford a shop on my own, through a crazy twist of fate I got paired up with a guy named Andre who was a veteran audio installer from Arizona looking to get out of the over-saturated market there and capitalize on the untapped market here. So he ended up getting a very nice shop in Eden Prairie (MN) and cleaned it up to a ridiculous degree (when I was painting, I accidentally slapped a brush with water on the electrical outlet and it shocked me so hard and long I pissed myself...true story). He let me rent/share some of the space from him. He named his place Streamline Audio because of how clean his installs are. They like they were build from the OEM company, and the design so surpasses the existing design. The name of my shop would be "Top Hat customs". I had gotten into a little VIP too early, there was barely a following and the products were nearly inaccessible, so there wasn’t much I could do for it at the time. I thought if anything, Top Hat was a nice nod to that style. I had always felt like an old man and this style fit my personality so perfectly I wanted to be as involved in it as I could be and help it grow properly however I could. The 'Customs' part, was so people would know what the hell we did.

So for 3 years I sold wheels and accessories out of the shop. We actually hosted a couple CL/My.IS meets there. Well there is a reason that there are no crazy custom shops in minnesota. Winter was always horrible and as where Andre was doing lots of business with the big high end dealers in the area, my focus was on car modifying as a whole and the things I wanted to do most people in MN didn't want to do. They wanted 18" black mesh wheels for their BMW E46.

As I was exposed to more and more products from Japan I couldn't help get the feeling that much of it was not up to the standards of quality I expected for the price that you pay. My friends who were into VIP but didn’t have cash for the car yet (it’s not like I did either!) and we found ourselves sitting around talking about things that we wish you could buy, and things we wish were made better. Waiting months to get stuff from Japan sucked enough to wish things were available here. Which, thanks to the other vendors on CL/VSC, many items now are.

So as our list, and the VIP scene, grew larger I found myself sitting at the counter watching the snow fall outside wondering “why am I here?... I could be making better stuff then is coming out of japan and for much, much cheaper.” Hell, I don’t need to make huge profit off of it if it’s being sold through Top Hat anyway. If its a actual quality product at a good price then people will buy it and there will be nothing to worry about. Streamline was getting bigger and we started competing for space. When he could afford the place on his own I left and moved my operation online.

When I was taking a few weeks off to relax before coming up with a new plan I ran into a friend from high school who was teaching shop class to Jr., High school students. In the first 30 seconds of conversation he said to me “Hey do you know what VIP is?” and after a that it was pretty clear something good was going to happen. His skills with anything involving tools or building something and my fabricating skills synched up beautifully. We decided that over time, we would bring everything WE though was baller to the scene. I had the business/selling end on lock so with an outlet to sell our products, and the countless I made from Top Hat, we were able to offer baller products without the baller price tag. Top Shelf, Bottom Line right? So I kept Top Hat to be the only US distributor for the Sherlock Society (Canada, UK/Aus, and Japan will have their own respective Sherlock Society dealers) and Bryan and I opened up the Sherlock Society.

After our successful group buy, where we offered a imported Lxury Hanes wheel under the Sherlock brand at a ridiculous price, we felt that the market would respond well to all of the other products we could offer. Having added a few more people to the team (like Shonn with the Blue LS400) we had even more excellent input then before. Since all our products are manufactured within the US, costumers didn’t have to wait 3 months for the product to arrive! The other nice thing about making these in the US is we can completely control the quality. Cheap crap is made in other countries, if its made in the USA, its made to a certain standard of quality.

We hold our products to a very high degree. The amount of thought and passion that goes into our VIP products is so strong because it comes naturally. We don’t try fit into a style or trend. We are VIP. We are grateful as **** that there actually IS a reorganized style that fits our lifestyles. We don’t just do this as a hobby, and we definitely don’t do this to make a ridiculous amount of money (we invested in other things for that), we do this because we LOVE it. We do this stuff all day. We think about this stuff (well and *****) all day. We are not trying to be Junction Produce, we are not trying to be Garson.We are the Sherlock Society. These headlights are only the beginning many, many new products. This coming spring especially you will start to see what we are talking about. I’m not talking about neck pillows with some funky stitching, or lip kits that kinda look like this or that. We are on some real ****. And if these headlights are successful enough, we will be able to bring everything to the table. My biggest hope is that by the spring we will be able to offer full vehicle packages for the SC, along with packages for most, if not all, of the VIP platforms. We’ve been getting a lot of question out more wheels, we will be doing wheels again down the road. First its headlight lenses, then its accessories and body kits, then wheels.

So that is us. We are working on getting all the different lenses ready for December 1st. I have the horrible tendency to come up with an idea so good we have no choice but to do it even though we already a ridiculous amount of work ahead of us. It’s the reason why I haven’t driven my GS in 2 months and the interior is in my living room. We will have pics as soon as everything is %100 kosher and sorted out. In this case it was shaved down GS lenses so they are not so bug eyed and puffy and instead are sleek and mean. So everyone sit tight (which will be easy judging everybody's stance in their sigs) and we will have pics when everything is read. Thought i’d share that little story, so you guys would know how serious we take this, and how much fun we have with it.

I wanted a GS400 for 5 YEARS then I finally got one. You better believe there is some heavy hitting stuff ahead for this car.

- Sam
Old 11-24-08, 10:02 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Read the 1st 3 paragraphs and skipped to the last. Hope to see the new sleek and mean lenses soon.
Old 11-24-08, 10:21 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Im interested...for all 4 up front.
Old 11-25-08, 12:21 AM
sfrhack
Driver

can't wait to see it. I'm in fosho.
Old 11-25-08, 12:43 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for foglight lenses.
Old 11-25-08, 01:50 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Question

Can we imagine an international delivery ?

If yes i'm in too for a full front set

Denis.
Old 11-25-08, 02:39 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Me too!
Old 11-25-08, 06:54 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"In this case it was shaved down GS lenses so they are not so bug eyed and puffy and instead are sleek and mean."
What does this mean? Will you be posting pics soon of the lenses? I may be interested also...

Quick Reply: Replacement clear or colored headlight Lens: Gathering interest