GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

For the Gs guys with air bags....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 08:50 AM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For the Gs guys with air bags....

This is probably a stupid question but can I ride low with air bags? The reason I ask is because when I drive really low on bags, my car wiggles like crazy when I hit a bump.

also will I have to change the rubber bags at some point?

will my bags pop? when there is too much weight in the car? I usually buy a lot of inventory for my store so sometime my car can get really heavy

Thanks guys

Last edited by garbage85; 10-28-08 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-28-08, 08:56 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man when i get me a higher paying job i seriously looking in to newer rims and air bags or a new turbo kit! hmmmm decisions decisions lol
Old 10-28-08, 09:53 AM
slimjim
Rookie

I don't want to high jack your thread, but I also have questions about bags that I cant seem to find answers to when I search...how reliable are bags for daily cars and how long will they typically last? Also not only worried about the bags (although I hear they are reliable) what about compressor motors burning out, or being stuck without the bags being able to inflate? I would like to bag my car just because I don't want to worry about where I am driving and if my car is going to be too low to get in and out of places...TIA
Old 10-28-08, 09:56 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

although i don't have bags, nor do i know much about them.. i don't think it's smart to ride low on bags, i can just assume the tension it puts on them.. drive high and park low
Old 10-28-08, 10:03 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Drive low and park lower.
Old 10-28-08, 11:24 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
or drive low and park low
Old 10-28-08, 11:46 AM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
+1

It's how your setup is. If you bags are set high on your shock you have to ride on a lower psi which will cause that wiggle sensation. That's why people using UAS usually custom the bag bracket so the car will dump more.
Old 10-28-08, 11:48 AM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dRo15
+1

It's how your setup is. If you bags are set high on your shock you have to ride on a lower psi which will cause that wiggle sensation. That's why people using UAS usually custom the bag bracket so the car will dump more.
hmm so with even with the wiggle, would it be safe driving it like that?
Old 10-28-08, 11:56 AM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by garbage85
hmm so with even with the wiggle, would it be safe driving it like that?
If your driving slow enough. lol. I guess you just got to know the limits of your ride.

I can drive pretty low but just have problems with the tires hitting the top of the wheel well right now.

I pretty much have the same setup as you. As far as fender mods and wheel specs go.

Are you using valves or a manifold setup?

Last edited by dRo15; 10-28-08 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-28-08, 12:06 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Are you using valves or a manifold setup?[/QUOTE]

I dont know much about air suspension, what do you mean? lol

I have the old school one, where you release the air manually, none of that digital business lol
Old 10-28-08, 01:13 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by garbage85
This is probably a stupid question but can I ride low with air bags? The reason I ask is because when I drive really low on bags, my car wiggles like crazy when I hit a bump.

also will I have to change the rubber bags at some point?

will my bags pop? when there is too much weight in the car? I usually buy a lot of inventory for my store so sometime my car can get really heavy

Thanks guys
All bags are created differently and are operated in different ways. It's hard to predict how long is the life time of the bag, specially if there's so many different variables involved.

I've had my UAS for about 4 years and there's no sign of wear. I also don't have wiggling problems at any height. I could ride tuck, but my wheel offset would damage my front fenders. So I keep it at a decent height for daily driving. I did use the universal chapman struts from Easy Street, but didn't like the softness of the ride (specially at low pressure). There was also significant bodyroll on the chapman air sturts that I wasn't use to coming from coilovers.

As far as bags popping, this will only happen if you apply too much pressure or you exceed the maximum weight allowed for a certain bag or a combination of both. Your own car can create pressure and/or additional weight just by going up and down, so you have to account for that factor also.
Old 10-28-08, 01:13 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

I'm at work so I can't post pics but I assume you have the first set of valves.

Do you have the valves like these
http://www.fbirides.com/product.asp?idno=8289

or like these
http://www.fbirides.com/product.asp?idno=8288

It was just a thought if you have valves like the first set you should have 8. If you have 4 then your sharing air which makes your car wobble.

Last edited by dRo15; 10-28-08 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-28-08, 03:20 PM
slimjim
Rookie

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
All bags are created differently and are operated in different ways. It's hard to predict how long is the life time of the bag, specially if there's so many different variables involved.

I've had my UAS for about 4 years and there's no sign of wear. I also don't have wiggling problems at any height. I could ride tuck, but my wheel offset would damage my front fenders. So I keep it at a decent height for daily driving. I did use the universal chapman struts from Easy Street, but didn't like the softness of the ride (specially at low pressure). There was also significant bodyroll on the chapman air sturts that I wasn't use to coming from coilovers.

As far as bags popping, this will only happen if you apply too much pressure or you exceed the maximum weight allowed for a certain bag or a combination of both. Your own car can create pressure and/or additional weight just by going up and down, so you have to account for that factor also.
Thanks for the insight...do you daily your car? If so how much do you drive, and what is the typical maxium weight cars with bags are allowed to have?
Old 10-28-08, 03:36 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by slimjim
Thanks for the insight...do you daily your car? If so how much do you drive, and what is the typical maxium weight cars with bags are allowed to have?
Depends on the manufacturer. My old chapman air struts hold 900lbs @ 150psi, which I was at the limit with my car. On my present UAS bags, it's capacity is 2200lbs @ 120psi. So as you can see from the numbers, my UAS bags are not even being worked hard for what I'm putting it through. With the chapmans, I couldn't even hold 4 passengers in my car without worrying about it.

I do drive my car daily and log about 12k-18k per year.
Old 10-28-08, 04:36 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dRo15
I'm at work so I can't post pics but I assume you have the first set of valves.

Do you have the valves like these
http://www.fbirides.com/product.asp?idno=8289

or like these
http://www.fbirides.com/product.asp?idno=8288

It was just a thought if you have valves like the first set you should have 8. If you have 4 then your sharing air which makes your car wobble.
hmmm I dont have neither or. them..my valves are attached to my switches so I manually release the air. ahhh i see....Well I guess ill just be on the safe side and just ride high..its safer that way anyways

Quick Reply: For the Gs guys with air bags....