GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Drifting...yes i want to dirft my 300

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 06:06 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
that thing is nowhere near stock guy. its got over 1000hp, not to mention fully built for race
lol no one ever said taht thing was stock i just said look at the drifting gs
Old 10-30-08, 06:33 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
yea i understand where you are coming from.....what do you guys personally prefer? road racing, drifting, or drag racing?
i've always been a big fan of road racing and drifting. Yeah, drag racing is cool, but its too simple for me. Road racing takes so much strategy, especially in the organizations that have very little variation in vehicle performance where it's left to driver skill.

however, my favorite of all is drifting. It takes a ton of skill to put your car in a situation that would otherwise be considered dangerous/out of control, and have such great command over what the vehicle does that you can maintain only inches of gap between you and the car in front of you in a complete smoke screen, while going around a track just as fast if not faster than a car racing normally.

and it just looks so sick when done right
Old 10-30-08, 06:54 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

yea...is the setup of a road racing car that much different from a drift car? like, could you use the same car to road race and drift? (different tires, and adjustable suspension obviously)
Old 10-30-08, 07:07 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

yea...is the setup of a road racing car that much different from a drift car? like, could you use the same car to road race and drift? (different tires, and adjustable suspension obviously)
im not really positive of every minute difference but i will say that drift cars are more tuned toward low end torque where road race cars kind of go toward high end power. also the road race vehicle would probably have more chassis stiffening to help it really plant to the road whereas in drifting a bit of body roll is actually to your advantage.
Old 10-31-08, 07:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by handoverfi
lol no one ever said taht thing was stock i just said look at the drifting gs
um cough cough drifting ARISTO hehehehe
Old 10-31-08, 08:24 AM
NAiL05
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
it's going to be really tough without seriously reducing the weight.
That and you will need an LSD as I recall the 300's dont have that but I could be wrong.

Drift and road racing cars are tuned different. Biggest difference is the suspension setup. Road racers want grip, Drifters want to be able to control there oversteer. Engines arent that much different depending on setup for tracks. Small tracks for road racing or drifting you want more mid range higher speed tracks you want it to a bit more top end. An example of this would be turbo choice for a certain track depending if the car is turbo'd or not.
Old 10-31-08, 05:28 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

what do you guys personally prefer? road racing, drifting, or drag racing?
^^ their all expensive to set up
Old 10-31-08, 09:44 PM
mamono
Driver

Speaking from experience as I've owned two 1997 Nissan 240sx S14's, both were prepped for track and drifting. If you are just starting off, I highly recommend picking up a 2nd car. I know you've stated that you don't want one, but a S13 240sx really is cheap and affordable. It is the best choice, IMHO and here is why...

You can actually find one with an SR20DET and suspension mods already installed for less than $5k. Crashing them, you won't cry. That's just the problem. Drifting, you cannot be attached to your car. If you love your GS at all, wait until you are confident in your drifting skills after beating the 240sx to a pulp, then you are ready to move up to drifting the GS. You don't even have to invest much into the 240sx anyways since most are drift ready if modded correctly, just shop around. I see them all the time. In the mean time when you are improving your skills on the 240sx at the track, you can start modding and prepping the GS for drifting.

I've had numerous spin outs on the track, 2 vehicle accidents, and countless parts break on me while drifting. Cost of the damage from one of the accidents to get the S14 240sx back to pristine condition was $3.5k. Drifting it not cheap. Here is a break down on the cost:

$100 Pre-track prep (brake flush, LSD oil change, Motor oil change, etc etc)
$150 One-Day Track Fee
$300 Spare Tires (include mount and balance)
$50 Food and beverages (Needs lots of drinks, track gets hot so you need to stay hydrated.)
$80 Gas

These are all estimates, but that's what you should expect to budget per track day.

Do it right, learn on something that's cheap to maintain and repair like an S13 240sx. Parts are readily available and extremely affordable. Then when your skills are solid, move on up to your GS.
Old 11-05-08, 07:44 PM
alzimme
Driver School Candidate

Bone stock.
225 60 16 all season tires at 40lbs
Stock suspension, auto, etc etc.

Things that would help,
Weld the dif, get some more angle, r154 swap, hyrdo ebrake
^^Is any of that needed, no.

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=MOV00471.flv

Video of the first runs of the day. It sucks but i could link the infield by the end and also get most the bank. I would just feint out of the bank to carry speed for the infield (way more fun).

Last edited by alzimme; 11-05-08 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-05-08, 07:54 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by alzimme

Bone stock.
225 60 16 all season tires at 40lbs
Stock suspension, auto, etc etc.

Things that would help,
Weld the dif, get some more angle, r154 swap, hyrdo ebrake
^^Is any of that needed, no.
first of all, you're 8lbs over spec on your tires.

second of all, look how slow it's going. this would not only be laughed at at a drift day, it would be a safety issue. that's nothing more than a glorified donut you're showing us here.

bottom line:

Getting the GS to be anything BUT a factory luxo-boat is going to cost you. Getting it to be anything but a factory luxo-boat AND still be reliable, will cost you more.
Getting it to be something it was never intended to be AND still be reliable, you better be able to pay.

don't cloud the op's judgement just because someone 'may' have pulled it off. The object of us answering his question (by us i mean those of us with VALID information) is to save the OP time, money, effort, and headaches down the road. Sure, you could maybe pull it off a couple times. But when you roast your tranny or blow your head gasket or worse flip the car because you didnt enter the drift quite right, you're starting to get into things you will regret doing.
Old 11-06-08, 02:07 AM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

coil overs, a good alignment and a LSD and go have fun!

It's going to be expensive, and a lot less cost efficient than other more popular drift chassis, but it'll work!
Old 11-06-08, 06:35 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Good luck
Old 11-06-08, 06:43 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure to take a few videos of your car drifting and your bank book bleeding
Old 11-06-08, 06:58 AM
alzimme
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Fat Felix;3983324]and go have fun!
QUOTE]

^^^ Sums up why I've owned every car I have, and driven it the ways I have. Its fun showing up, gettings antsy with my "new" car, borrowing a helmet, and just driving it to see what it'll do.
Old 11-06-08, 12:11 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Um..jcat, please shut up.

You can slide the GS300 in stock form. I was sliding mine around last weekend, with just coilovers. You don't NEED a million things to drift.

Only things I would get, would be an LSD, coilovers, and then go have fun. you could even detach your parking brake handle, so it doesn't work right, so you can step on it when you need it and it will retract when you let off the foot pedal.

If you the e-shift buttons it helps to keep your car in the appropriate gear.

And the talk of 'blowing your trans, headgasket, or flipping your car'.....well that is a risk you take. I don't think you'll flip your car unless you are flying over hilly roads trying to slide through mountain passes.

Quick Reply: Drifting...yes i want to dirft my 300