GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Drifting...yes i want to dirft my 300

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 03:56 PM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree, jcat is wrong.

you don't need a hydrolic hand brake or half the things he mentioned hahahaha.

bro all you need is an LSD and a manual tranny.

coilovers will help to decrease bodyroll. also the stiffer you set the rear, the easier it slips out.

and turbo kits won't cost over $4,000 haha.

xspower single turbo kits are only $1,650 and all you need to do is upgrade your fuel pump and make your own intercooler piping.

just go for it dude, don't worry about what anyone says
Old 11-24-08, 07:09 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DRFT103
i agree, jcat is wrong.

you don't need a hydrolic hand brake or half the things he mentioned hahahaha.

bro all you need is an LSD and a manual tranny.

coilovers will help to decrease bodyroll. also the stiffer you set the rear, the easier it slips out.

and turbo kits won't cost over $4,000 haha.

xspower single turbo kits are only $1,650 and all you need to do is upgrade your fuel pump and make your own intercooler piping.

just go for it dude, don't worry about what anyone says
ok hot shot, lets go down the list.

1. the GS has a foot actuated, ratchet-and-release emergency brake. Would be quite the pain in the *** to have to stomp down on it, reach over, pull the release, then continue drifting. A hydrAULic (you spelled it wrong by the way) handbrake will relocate it next to the seat and thus make use very easy, not to mention only costing ~200 bucks if i remember correctly.

2. "all you need is an LSD and a manual swap". Haha, okay. So 900 for a good LSD and another couple grand for a manual tranny, another few grand for installation and custom fabrication to mount clutch pedal, master and slave, etc. That's a good way to go.

3. nobody said anything about coilovers NOT being a good idea.

4. obviously you haven't done your research on FI for this car. Yeah, the XSpower kit costs 1649 without fabrication for the IC piping, or any installation you may have to pay for. Then you need to get electronics. AEM FIC at bare minimum so that you can help control VVTi as well as a/f tuning, which is about 400. You can expect 1500-2000 to go standalone such as HKS E-manage, etc. Then you speak about upgrading the fuel system. Pump, sure. That also requires injectors. Which will allow you to run more boost. Which requires a thicker headgasket to lower compression to be compatible with the boost.

don't talk out your *** when you haven't done your homework. NO FORM OF MODIFICATION OF THIS CAR, especially one such as drifting which is so taxing on the vehicle, HAS BEEN, IS, OR WILL EVER BE CHEAP OR EASY.

it's like the wisemen of the GS forum say (i forget which specifically, forgive me)

you can only have 2 of the following 3 with this car:

Cheap, Fast, or Reliable.
Old 11-25-08, 11:43 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3

1. the GS has a foot actuated, ratchet-and-release emergency brake. Would be quite the pain in the *** to have to stomp down on it, reach over, pull the release, then continue drifting. A hydrAULic (you spelled it wrong by the way) handbrake will relocate it next to the seat and thus make use very easy, not to mention only costing ~200 bucks if i remember correctly.

2. "all you need is an LSD and a manual swap". Haha, okay. So 900 for a good LSD and another couple grand for a manual tranny, another few grand for installation and custom fabrication to mount clutch pedal, master and slave, etc. That's a good way to go.

3. nobody said anything about coilovers NOT being a good idea.

4. obviously you haven't done your research on FI for this car. Yeah, the XSpower kit costs 1649 without fabrication for the IC piping, or any installation you may have to pay for. Then you need to get electronics. AEM FIC at bare minimum so that you can help control VVTi as well as a/f tuning, which is about 400. You can expect 1500-2000 to go standalone such as HKS E-manage, etc. Then you speak about upgrading the fuel system. Pump, sure. That also requires injectors. Which will allow you to run more boost. Which requires a thicker headgasket to lower compression to be compatible with the boost.

don't talk out your *** when you haven't done your homework. NO FORM OF MODIFICATION OF THIS CAR, especially one such as drifting which is so taxing on the vehicle, HAS BEEN, IS, OR WILL EVER BE CHEAP OR EASY.

it's like the wisemen of the GS forum say (i forget which specifically, forgive me)

you can only have 2 of the following 3 with this car:

Cheap, Fast, or Reliable.

and im in before the
Old 11-25-08, 11:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Guys keep this discussion impersonal and polite please or exit the thread.

Stay focused on the topic and not making personal jabs at each other.
Old 11-25-08, 12:10 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

there's no such thing as cheap FI...cheap STARTER kit FI...but it just keeps adding up...
Old 11-25-08, 01:09 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More power, manual swap, good suspension, and LSD!!! Drift on good buddy! Oh and lightining the load wouldn't hurt..
Old 11-25-08, 01:11 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys keep this discussion impersonal and polite please or exit the thread.

Stay focused on the topic and not making personal jabs at each other.
sorry dave, didn't mean the post to come off as personal, i just didnt want bad information being given to the OP. My bad.
Old 11-25-08, 01:17 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3

plus the labor involved.

a much easier trick is the cigarette box to keep the pull lever open. just make sure you adjust your e-brake so that it actually locks.