GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Drifting...yes i want to dirft my 300

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 02:45 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drifting...yes i want to dirft my 300

Ok..so i used to hate drifting...(actually i used to hate anything but American muscle, drag racing and nascar..lol) needless to say...ive changed...and until about a week ago i thought drifting was pointless...well ive come to love it, and i just want to know what i would need to do to MY CAR (i know most of you will say to sell and get a 240 or something...but i, not going to so dont bother..lol) to make it into a "weekend" drifter. (and by weekend, i mean i want to keep it close to stock, just upgrade the essentials,) also, has anyone ever done a e-brake relocation?
Thanks
Old 10-30-08, 02:58 PM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

not too hard here is a quick basic list

manual transmission conversion
lsd
coilovers

ebrake and other braces can be added as needed
Old 10-30-08, 02:59 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
Ok..so i used to hate drifting...(actually i used to hate anything but American muscle, drag racing and nascar..lol) needless to say...ive changed...and until about a week ago i thought drifting was pointless...well ive come to love it, and i just want to know what i would need to do to MY CAR (i know most of you will say to sell and get a 240 or something...but i, not going to so dont bother..lol) to make it into a "weekend" drifter. (and by weekend, i mean i want to keep it close to stock, just upgrade the essentials,) also, has anyone ever done a e-brake relocation?
Thanks
well first you'll need a hydraulic handbrake, won't need to relocate the e-brake but disconnect the foot pedal and run the linkage to a hydraulic brake. Enjuku sells one for i believe 200 or so.

then, you're going to want to turbo it. It doesn't make enough power in stock form to really get the wheels spinning enough to get a good drift going. Expect to pay upwards of a 4 thousand for this.

then, you're going to want to reduce weight. SERIOUSLY. you're starting with a 3600lb luxo boat, not a 2300lb(?) 240. Back seat out, spare tire out, get whatever you can replace with lightweight parts etc.

then you'll need coilovers. good ones. no tein CS or anything like that. Youll need bilsteins, JIC's, HKS hipermax, Tein FLEX or HA, even SS i think would be a stretch for weekend drifting.

then youll need to change your rear end gearing for better low end torque to break the rear tires loose, as well as build the tranny/swap it to manual to withstand such high revs for long periods of time.

then you'll need tires, LOTS of tires. Expect to chew up a set of rears just about each time you go out.

it really is not feasible unless youre going to dump a ton of money into the thing. Seriously, buy a crapped out 240 for like a grand, dump a few more thousand into it and for the same price you would pay just for boost+coils on the GS, youll have a good weekend drifter.
Old 10-30-08, 03:03 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

ok...look at my definition of weekend again..lol..i just want to mess around..not go pro..i know for a fact i can drift my car as it...i just was wondering what i need to do to make it just a little bit better...ie a turbo (which i am working on) handbrake, and coilovers. I will not do a 6-speed swap..and for fun, i know i can drift a auto.....so is there anything else, fundamentally, that i am missing?
Old 10-30-08, 03:05 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

oh..i forgot to mention...i can get my tires for free!
Old 10-30-08, 03:07 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

ha drifting the Gs would be SWEET lol.. good luck
Old 10-30-08, 03:46 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

ok...look at my definition of weekend again..lol..i just want to mess around..not go pro..i know for a fact i can drift my car as it...i just was wondering what i need to do to make it just a little bit better...ie a turbo (which i am working on) handbrake, and coilovers. I will not do a 6-speed swap..and for fun, i know i can drift a auto.....so is there anything else, fundamentally, that i am missing?
it's going to be really tough without seriously reducing the weight.

with a car like this you can't exactly have your cake and eat it too. things are going to break unless you do them right. i'm trying to save you that headache but if you want to just laugh at what we are saying then go ahead. i'd have a hard time believing you can effectively drift with your car in stock form. It probably won't break the tires loose too easily/keep them spinning well enough to sustain a drift, and the body roll would be way too much. catch one bump just wrong and you'll flip.

do what you want man, you asked for opinions so i gave you one. gl
Old 10-30-08, 03:51 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been discussed before if I remember correctly.
Old 10-30-08, 03:55 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdlVMixvb34

feast your eyes the drifting GS300
Old 10-30-08, 04:02 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by handoverfi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdlVMixvb34

feast your eyes the drifting GS300
that thing is nowhere near stock guy. its got over 1000hp, not to mention fully built for race
Old 10-30-08, 04:07 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i have a 240 u can use to drift. its drift ready
Old 10-30-08, 04:22 PM
VALET dude
Driver

(i know most of you will say to sell and get a 240 or something...but i, not going to so dont bother..lol)
Originally Posted by 5t341th
i have a 240 u can use to drift. its drift ready
he wants to use his GS300
Old 10-30-08, 05:38 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

ok...i always seem to end up re-stating my question...lol my question should have been...i just want to have fun/learn to drift (basics) in my GS...what would i need to do so it wont break lol, if i like it...ill buy another car and trick that out for drifting...same thing if i drag race/road race...i want my gs to have some power..and kind of be able to do a little of each..and see what i like the best..and then i will get my "fun" car accordingly...(this is why i have asked about nitrous and stuff...cuz i want to test the different kinds of racing to see what i want to get into...i would love to do all three..but that probably wont happen..lol i already know i love road racing..so i just want to try out the other 2)
does that help at all?
Old 10-30-08, 05:51 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

ok...i always seem to end up re-stating my question...lol my question should have been...i just want to have fun/learn to drift (basics) in my GS...what would i need to do so it wont break lol, if i like it...ill buy another car and trick that out for drifting...same thing if i drag race/road race...i want my gs to have some power..and kind of be able to do a little of each..and see what i like the best..and then i will get my "fun" car accordingly...(this is why i have asked about nitrous and stuff...cuz i want to test the different kinds of racing to see what i want to get into...i would love to do all three..but that probably wont happen..lol i already know i love road racing..so i just want to try out the other 2)
does that help at all?
your question has already been answered. I realize my response may have seemed lengthy but if you realistically want to get your car drifting, you will need at least minimal upgrades in all of those areas. Unfortunately, for our cars, these types of upgrades are not cheap. Rest assured that if you do end up drifting, any weak point will be the first to go, and quickly. Like i said, you'd spend less money building up a little drift car for weekends, and later on if you decide you aren't into it, then you sell it off and try to make your money back.

drag racing i wouldn't worry about much other than making power and a few suspension/trans upgrades. it's driving in a straight line as fast as you can haha.

as the great and wise JeffTsai once said, "You gotta pay to play".
Old 10-30-08, 06:03 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

yea i understand where you are coming from.....what do you guys personally prefer? road racing, drifting, or drag racing?

Quick Reply: Drifting...yes i want to dirft my 300