GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Where is your Front Licence Plate Located?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 08:47 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by StanCe
ok guys, this is my 4th time getting pulled over for "no front licence plate"… where is your front licence plate located. im trying to get some thoughts to mount my front plate. if it all comes down ill just buy a licence plate angler. thanks.
In my trunk

Originally Posted by ceelo
Why not just mounted where is supposed to be mounted, in the middle of the front bumper ? Do you have an aftermarket bumper?

I really don't see what the big deal is about a front plate. Yes it looks like total crap but just take it off when you arrive at a show or whatever. Does it really bother people when your driving the car to know that you have a license plate on your front bumper? Like others have said, it's the easiest BS reason for a cop to pull you over and then get you for something else like tint, exhaust, being to low, etc.

I'd also advise against the dash board mounting. About time you get into an accident and that thing starts flying around the cabin....watch out !! I know that in VA they can pull you over for an improperly mounted license plate. I've known some ricers that get pulled because they have it mounted on their passenger side sun visor and just put the visor down while driving, but they got a ticket for that too.
It might look like crap mounted but it will look worse when you take it off at a “Show” and have two holes in your front bumper. That will be a real good points getter in the “attention to detail” department. Although the look of the front plate may not bother you it bothers me, and obviously the OP. That's why I don't run one.

I do agree with you on the dash being a REAL BAD IDEA for the plate. Its just asking for a free scalping or worse.

Originally Posted by Rick James
I was thinking of doing something like this maybe....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...=p4506.c0.m245
I think this is the best look and idea.

Originally Posted by fatmike
Get a motorized (or manual) license plate retractor. Then you can tuck it away under the car for photoshoots etc. They are hard to find though $$
No too hard to find but if the car is lowered I doubt you will have space up front for the plate to come down without rubbing or getting yanked off by the road.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...=hiddenlicense
Old 10-31-08, 09:07 AM
fatmike
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair

No too hard to find but if the car is lowered I doubt you will have space up front for the plate to come down without rubbing or getting yanked off by the road.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...=hiddenlicense
The one I've seen doesnt just drop the plate like a flap.. it pulls it in. And when you want to show it it comes out and over the bottom of the bumper..not just hanging like a mudflap.
Old 10-31-08, 09:19 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a motorized (or manual) license plate retractor. Then you can tuck it away under the car for photoshoots etc. They are hard to find though $$
I could make one those... but it is $$$$

I keep my Plate on... NYPD, NCPD, SCPD, plus State Troopers and MTA police all see me daily.. and probably don't like me anyway... besides my tinted windshield is already pushing my luck.
Old 10-31-08, 09:27 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

The one I've seen doesnt just drop the plate like a flap.. it pulls it in. And when you want to show it it comes out and over the bottom of the bumper..not just hanging like a mudflap.
Like this:
Altec-Remote-Control-Show-n-Go-Retractable-License-Plate-Holder

Youtube Video 1

Youtube Video 2
Old 10-31-08, 09:32 AM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

No tag, but Id just mount it dead center or to the right on a after market bumper.
Old 10-31-08, 11:23 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

can you guys post some pictures of where to mount the stupid ugly thing lol.....
Old 10-31-08, 11:32 AM
Rick James
Driver

Originally Posted by StanCe
can you guys post some pictures of where to mount the stupid ugly thing lol.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SC300...=p4506.c0.m245

Last edited by Rick James; 10-31-08 at 11:33 AM. Reason: add link
Old 10-31-08, 11:45 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Good things for all you guys that doesn't live in Cal. Cuz it a b****, you get pulled over
just about for everything..I'd rather leave mine than getting pulled over. They give you no excuses for not having it on. I got pulled over at the LAX a while back for not having
front plate....Brian, just don't come to Cal...hahaha
Old 10-31-08, 11:50 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Connecticut's law is it has to be on the outer most point of the bumper. On my first 4 cars I didn't even care. The integra was mounted off to the driver's side, because it's JDM YO (LOL). Unfortunately, my GS430 had the front plate drilled on it already. And my picture in my attachments is what I have to say to that LOL. Factory Lexus Vanity plate FTW
Attached Thumbnails Where is your Front Licence Plate Located?-0128.jpg  
Old 10-31-08, 12:50 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 10-31-08, 03:39 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
Connecticut's law is it has to be on the outer most point of the bumper. On my first 4 cars I didn't even care. The integra was mounted off to the driver's side, because it's JDM YO (LOL). Unfortunately, my GS430 had the front plate drilled on it already. And my picture in my attachments is what I have to say to that LOL. Factory Lexus Vanity plate FTW
how come you show us a small pic of your gs with plate during the daytime but instead show us big pic of your gs at night ? i cant see the plate in the night picture.
Old 10-31-08, 03:54 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right where it should be with the Lexus license plate kit. CA po's don't play.
Old 10-31-08, 03:59 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

put it right in the middle vinh.
Old 10-31-08, 04:18 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mines chillin in my trunk...
Old 10-31-08, 04:20 PM
dxb_8788
Pole Position

yesterday i toke my plate off because i sprayed the bumber and im waiting for weekend to finish and ill change my big numplate to small one and im thinking where ill put the plate now when i saw this thread ill put it at the side like ebay pic

Quick Reply: Where is your Front Licence Plate Located?