GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

WTF just happened?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08, 06:24 PM
sleeperGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF just happened?

Ok so I just in my car getting ready to head out, I turn the key, it cranks but doesnt start. The starter and battery are fine but I have no clue what else it could be. So eventually I got it started by keeping the gas pressed all the way down and keeping the key turned until it started....Please help!!!
Old 11-02-08, 06:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sounds like the engine had no fuel....did u remove any fuel rated parts under the hood?
Old 11-02-08, 07:37 PM
sleeperGS
Rookie

no, I didnt do anything to the engine. I started the car yesterday around noon and it started fine.
Old 11-02-08, 07:48 PM
99GSThree
Driver

Possible problems:
1)It ain't got no gas in it

2)Flooded engine

3)Hot soak condition. Happens when the fuel vaporizes in the fuel lines. Many reasons as to why this could happen.
Too many variables.
Old 11-02-08, 07:52 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What year is your car? If it's a 99 or an '00 model, it could probably be the starter. Having the same problem with my car. Turn, turn, turn, turn, gurgle, turn, turn, ignition LOL
Old 11-02-08, 07:58 PM
99GSThree
Driver

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
What year is your car? If it's a 99 or an '00 model, it could probably be the starter. Having the same problem with my car. Turn, turn, turn, turn, gurgle, turn, turn, ignition LOL

what you and sleeper are describing is NOT the starter. If it cranks,the starter is good. The starter is obviously working,it just won't catch. If the starter were bad,you would get no crank,or maybe one "click" when trying to turn it over or maybe even no noise at all.
Old 11-02-08, 09:14 PM
sleeperGS
Rookie

the starter is fine, the car is a 98 and the car has plenty of gas...lol.... i dunno guys.
Old 11-02-08, 11:02 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Possibly the electronic throttle system is malfunctioning.
Old 11-02-08, 11:05 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i would think it may be the ignition coils? ...
Old 11-03-08, 01:35 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Without seeing it in person, it could be a host of things. Also could be something with the key not being recognized (far stretch). Thats what happens if you try to start the car with an empty shell.

Do me a favor, and TRY to start it with a different key to eliminate the key as an issue.
Old 11-03-08, 06:18 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the "credit card key" which unlocks the door, but when you try to start the car it just makes the sound of the starter turning, but I believe it does not provide fuel to the engine. I believe this happens because there is no chip in the credit card key, and therefore it wont start. Maybe it is the chip inside of your key? Have you tried the other master key? I know you said it started eventually, but maybe that way because the key is having intermittent problems?? Let me know if you can try another key and if that works, I'm curious to know. Hope that might help.

-Joe
Old 11-03-08, 06:44 AM
sleeperGS
Rookie

The car is starting fine now with the same key. When I was trying to start it last night however, you could almost hear and feel the engine begging to start but it wouldnt.
Old 11-03-08, 07:04 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TPS
Old 11-05-08, 08:45 AM
YOO
Driver

wow i am having the SAME issues right now! and its stressing me out!!!!

the motor has 160k miles. this is what i've done soo far to try and diagnosis the problem. the starter sounds really strong! battery has lots of power because its only 2 months old and all the power components work great. i turn the ignition continuously and the car will not completely turn over. so i took a can of "starter helper" spray and injected some into the intake. the car started to turn over and it ran for a second or so while i continued to spray.

so this is what i think so far, not getting fuel. so im doing some research into getting a new fuel pump. dont know if i should go with an aftermarket walbro 255 or should i just keep it simple by getting an OEM lexus pump. im not even sure if the walbro will fit properly.

at the same time, im thinking it could be the fuel filter... it could be clogged and not allowing any fuel to get through. that could be the area where needs work?

i am so confused in how i can do alll this... i've NEVER worked on the my lexus before... im a HONDA guy and civics are my thing... but lexus??? im nervous.

SLEEPERGS: if you get yours started... please let us know how you did it.. i have a feeling that we both are dealing with the same ISSUE.
Old 11-05-08, 09:03 AM
sleeperGS
Rookie

after getting it started by flooring and starting my car it starts fine now. However, I was instructed by a local mechanic to replace the fuel pump and filter. If you're planning on turboing your car I suggest go after market, if not stick to oem. What sucks is my car only has 61,000 miles on which sux for me. Most of these replys were pretty helpful but as most people said, it could be anything, I guess you just have to trouble shoot

Quick Reply: WTF just happened?