GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I'm a new CL member, check out my 99' GS3

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 07:45 AM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS430V8
Lookin Good, lot's of people are gonna say no to the Rims, but its your taste, now slam it!
will do (slam it that is)

Originally Posted by mtparker18
That makes 2 people from Pittsburgh
that's what's up, what area...I'm in bellevue (northside)
we need to hook up sometime...I can use your help getting my GS together
Old 11-05-08, 10:36 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr.412
that's what's up, what area...I'm in bellevue (northside)
we need to hook up sometime...I can use your help getting my GS together
I'm in the belle vernon area (by new stanton & greensburgh kinda)

Hell yeah man. let me know what you need help with and I'll do my best to help you out.

and as far as your lowering question, you can get Tannable DF drop springs. their what I have, and I love them
Old 11-05-08, 11:08 AM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

I'm in the belle vernon area (by new stanton & greensburgh kinda)

Hell yeah man. let me know what you need help with and I'll do my best to help you out.

and as far as your lowering question, you can get Tannable DF drop springs. their what I have, and I love them
I'm working on both of my lexus's this weekend! what's your plans
lets link up if you don't have anything planed...I'd love to check out your ride
and let you see both of mine...I'll PM you!
Old 11-05-08, 06:40 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are in my top 5 of worst wheels I have seen on a 98-05 GS.

Nice car otherwise.

Edit...

And that 2x more stop power....haha, are you joking? Those things don't do anything except give you that bling bling factor.

Oh, actually they chew up pads faster and are more prone to cracking.

Show me a test where you achieve more stopping power over a blank rotor.
Old 11-06-08, 10:04 AM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by McKrevice

Nice car otherwise.

Edit...

And that 2x more stop power....haha, are you joking? Those things don't do anything except give you that bling bling factor.

OK...you are the 1st person on here that I don't like (I'm just putting that out there off top so there is no confusion)
and the R1 concept's do give me alot more stopping power then my stock rotors, every one that has ever driven my car has confirmed this
and 2k on the pads and still going

and the rims, well that's just my style...
I didn't want to be YOU, I'm just being ME
Old 11-06-08, 10:21 AM
JRGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don t now about those rims,but the car looks nice and clean, Welcome to CL
Old 11-06-08, 10:33 AM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Nice car otherwise.

Edit...

Originally Posted by JRGS400
I don t now about those rims,but the car looks nice and clean, Welcome to CL
thank you......
Old 11-06-08, 04:47 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

OK...you are the 1st person on here that I don't like (I'm just putting that out there off top so there is no confusion)
and the R1 concept's do give me alot more stopping power then my stock rotors, every one that has ever driven my car has confirmed this
and 2k on the pads and still going

and the rims, well that's just my style...
I didn't want to be YOU, I'm just being ME
You can tell me all day long that you get more stopping power, but it's in your head and is not true. I have worked with brakes for years....on street cars and race cars. And by race cars I don't mean drag cars, I mean road race cars that see lap after lap after lap with intense braking...so much so that a car will go through a set of pads in less than one day. I am by no means trying to brag, but when every single car on the track is using blank rotors over drilled ones....well, something about what you are saying does not add up.

I bet you that if you compare the braking distance of a stock Lexus rotor to your bling bling cross drilled rotors with the same pads, the difference will be extremely minimal....IF you can somehow manage to apply the same pressure in both cases, which would be 60-0 at full lock.

I just get sick and tired of reading thread after thread filled with BS that people somehow miraculously gain better stopping power by swapping rotors....and that people buy into this theory that this is such a great upgrade. What makes you stop so much better? The holes? The slots? What do they do that would possibly cause you to stop in a shorter distance....and don't tell me it's unsprung weight because taking out that small amount of material doesn't make a difference on a Lexus...Maybe if you lived back in the days when cross drilling actually did something by dissipating the gasses that would build up between the pad and rotor...which isn't even a concern now because of the step up in brake technology...you would be better off, but not in this day and age.

If you really wanted to increase braking, you'd step it up and get a larger caliper with more pistons and larger rotors.

But that doesn't matter either unless you have good tires. If you took 100 piston calipers and put them on a car and were rolling on 4 mismatched worn down tires, the best brakes in the world won't stop your car from sliding.

All those fancy rotors do is look nice and cost more. Don't kid yourself that they offer a substantial benefit over a blank rotor.
Old 11-06-08, 05:23 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

And if you still don't believe me, don't take my word for it, but please read this thread. Make up your own mind. And if you still think those fancy brakes are great, that's on you.

http://corner-carvers.com/altimathread.php.html
Old 11-06-08, 07:01 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

You can tell me all day long that you get more stopping power, but it's in your head and is not true. I have worked with brakes for years....on street cars and race cars. And by race cars I don't mean drag cars, I mean road race cars that see lap after lap after lap with intense braking...so much so that a car will go through a set of pads in less than one day. I am by no means trying to brag, but when every single car on the track is using blank rotors over drilled ones....well, something about what you are saying does not add up.

I bet you that if you compare the braking distance of a stock Lexus rotor to your bling bling cross drilled rotors with the same pads, the difference will be extremely minimal....IF you can somehow manage to apply the same pressure in both cases, which would be 60-0 at full lock.

I just get sick and tired of reading thread after thread filled with BS that people somehow miraculously gain better stopping power by swapping rotors....and that people buy into this theory that this is such a great upgrade. What makes you stop so much better? The holes? The slots? What do they do that would possibly cause you to stop in a shorter distance....and don't tell me it's unsprung weight because taking out that small amount of material doesn't make a difference on a Lexus...Maybe if you lived back in the days when cross drilling actually did something by dissipating the gasses that would build up between the pad and rotor...which isn't even a concern now because of the step up in brake technology...you would be better off, but not in this day and age.

If you really wanted to increase braking, you'd step it up and get a larger caliper with more pistons and larger rotors.

But that doesn't matter either unless you have good tires. If you took 100 piston calipers and put them on a car and were rolling on 4 mismatched worn down tires, the best brakes in the world won't stop your car from sliding.

All those fancy rotors do is look nice and cost more. Don't kid yourself that they offer a substantial benefit over a blank rotor.

^^ your really trying to make a big deal over this arent you?
Old 11-06-08, 07:49 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

^^ your really trying to make a big deal over this arent you?
I've seen enough cross drilled rotors prematurely crack...and if one person out there reads what I wrote and it sways them from making a bad decision when it comes to their brakes, that's good enough for me.
Old 11-06-08, 08:06 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

LOL.....well I love them, and I've seen a lot of other threads here about them and others seem to love em as well sooooo....BLING BLING
Old 11-06-08, 08:41 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

LOL.....well I love them, and I've seen a lot of other threads here about them and others seem to love em as well sooooo....BLING BLING
I would just keep an eye on them. Inspect them every so often and look close when you do because when they crack, the cracks most of the time start out small.
Old 11-06-08, 08:51 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

First of all to Mr.412, congrats on the GS and welcome to CL. I'm sorry but I have to agree with what the majority of the people say about the wheels. But...that's just my personal view since I build my car to more of a sporty/aggressive style. If you're building your car to be DUB style then those rims are a decent fit for that category. Anyways, get that car lowered and have fun modding! Oh yeah and don't go broke from modding like everyone else here

I've seen enough cross drilled rotors prematurely crack...and if one person out there reads what I wrote and it sways them from making a bad decision when it comes to their brakes, that's good enough for me.
So question here. I have the Rotra 355mm 4piston big brake kit on all 4 corners with 14" 2-piece floating rotors. They are drilled and slotted. I rag my brakes EXTREMELY hard compared to 99.9% of other Lexus owners. I haven't road raced them, but I do high way pulls and occasionally need to lug the car back down to "normal speeds". I haven't noticed any wapring or any cracking anywhere on the rotors, but I guess you can attribute that it being a 2-piece floating rotor?

Then also, some cars like Mercedes Benz, Corvette, and Porsche come from the factory with drilled rotors, any thoughts as to those?

Last edited by JeffTsai; 11-06-08 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-06-08, 09:01 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

iam not feelin the wheels but keep up the good work welcome

Quick Reply: I'm a new CL member, check out my 99' GS3