GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I'm a new CL member, check out my 99' GS3

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 09:22 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

So question here. I have the Rotra 355mm 4piston big brake kit on all 4 corners with 14" 2-piece floating rotors. They are drilled and slotted. I rag my brakes EXTREMELY hard compared to 99.9% of other Lexus owners. I haven't road raced them, but I do high way pulls and occasionally need to lug the car back down to "normal speeds". I haven't noticed any wapring or any cracking anywhere on the rotors, but I guess you can attribute that it being a 2-piece floating rotor?

Then also, some cars like Mercedes Benz, Corvette, and Porsche come from the factory with drilled rotors, any thoughts as to those?
Are the chances of your rotors cracking greater than a non drilled/slotted rotor greater? Yes. Will doing what your doing cause them to crack? Hard to say. I am not familiar with Rotra. I just bought my GS this past Sept to use as a DD and have no desire to start modding it...I already have a Mustang for that.

I doubt them being a 2 piece has anything to do with where you're at. They probably have not cracked because....well, because they just haven't. Will all drilled rotors crack? Nah, but your chances are greater, and most people that do have them do not get in the habit of checking for premature wear. And small crack become big cracks and why risk your safety as well as others on something as critical as your braking system?

I have only used Brembo blanks on my race car, as that's what they came stock with, and they are a pretty good rotor.

All of those exotic companies that you listed....most of those rotors are cast, not drilled. But either way it doesn't matter. The rotors job is to dissipate heat and with less mass, you lose that area you would normally have.

And....those companies do that for one thing. TO SELL CARS!

My guess is that this guy Mr412 or whatever, replaced his old worn out brakes with new pads and new drilled rotors. Well, yeah, that's going to feel way better than worn pads and worn rotors. But I bet anyone could sneak over, swap his brakes out with blanks and new pads when he was asleep, have him get in the car in the morning and I bet he wouldn't notice a difference in braking....hell maybe even better than the drilled ones as they have some miles on them. Just my 2 cents.

This is what I race on. 13 inch twin piston calipers in the front. I spent thousands of dollars getting the brakes to where I wanted them. And at this point, these brakes are meant for a car that is 1000 pounds heavier, and when I lock them up, these will detach your eyeballs from your head if you're not careful.

Old 11-07-08, 06:00 AM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

McKrevice...thanks for all the break info, I'll keep an eye on the rotors

... about the wheels, I'm surprised no one really likes them I mean they are different from what the rest of you have on your rides but I like that... I think the car does need lowered and I think I might change my tire size but they are flashy, and cost me enough (not cheap at all) and they have round design witch matches the car and the chrome and black matches my color combo

maybe it's just me though, but when the car is complete witch I will finish up after the winter and take pics then I think you will see my vision
Old 11-07-08, 11:55 AM
vegasgs400
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100% agree with you. that s y we are different from each other. IMO, there is no official rule of which rim looks nice or not, it all depends on the owner's personal preference.

BTW, welcome to join this forum. Hopefully, they won't scare you away.

Originally Posted by Mr.412
OK...

and the rims, well that's just my style...
I didn't want to be YOU, I'm just being ME
Old 11-07-08, 12:29 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vegasgs400
100% agree with you. that s y we are different from each other. IMO, there is no official rule of which rim looks nice or not, it all depends on the owner's personal preference.

BTW, welcome to join this forum. Hopefully, they won't scare you away.
thank you, thank you