GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

93-97 GS300 with HID

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-02, 09:33 AM
WoofGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, i'm a first gen GS owner. unfortunately there isn't much discussion about it as I read this forum alot to try to find out more about mods for it. I'm sorta new to this mod thing.
Old 02-26-02, 10:55 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

welcome.... if you have ANY questions regarding the first generation GS just start the subject off with "93-97....." and if i see that i'll make sure to go in and read it and help ya if i can. we need to bring the first generation back
Old 02-26-02, 12:06 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a GS owner here, but a word of advise to you HID buyers. If you can at all, buy the OEM HIDs that were designed for the GS. An OEM HID system is better than any kit you can buy on the market. Way better. Why? Simply because it was designed for your car. The OEM HID has a projector included which is focused and calibrated to emit the brightest light, sharpest cut-off line, widest angle, and farthest projection. There really is no substitute. The aftermarket HID "kits" only include bulb and ballast (some better kits have a battery relay harness), but they lack the very critical projector lense. This forces you to use the halogen projector lens currently in your cars, which is designed for a completely different lighting technology. You'll still get bright light with that, but you won't get the same "projection" as in width, depth, and resolution of lighting. (Sometimes brightness also suffers). What's also acceptable is buying an OEM HID system from say a Honda S2000 (I think they're cool!) and retrofitting your headlight assembly for them. This is no easy task, but well worth the efforts. If I'm not mistaken, all GS models have a projector lamp as opposed to a reflector? I'm not sure of the older models

PS: Philips only makes HID bulbs, not ballasts. You may want to check on who makes them. If there is no branding on the ballast, it's probably a Korean model. Decent, but not as good as German or Japanese ballasts.
Old 02-26-02, 02:03 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lex400sc
Not a GS owner here, but a word of advise to you HID buyers. If you can at all, buy the OEM HIDs that were designed for the GS. An OEM HID system is better than any kit you can buy on the market. Way better. Why? Simply because it was designed for your car. The OEM HID has a projector included which is focused and calibrated to emit the brightest light, sharpest cut-off line, widest angle, and farthest projection. There really is no substitute. The aftermarket HID "kits" only include bulb and ballast (some better kits have a battery relay harness), but they lack the very critical projector lense. This forces you to use the halogen projector lens currently in your cars, which is designed for a completely different lighting technology. You'll still get bright light with that, but you won't get the same "projection" as in width, depth, and resolution of lighting. (Sometimes brightness also suffers). What's also acceptable is buying an OEM HID system from say a Honda S2000 (I think they're cool!) and retrofitting your headlight assembly for them. This is no easy task, but well worth the efforts. If I'm not mistaken, all GS models have a projector lamp as opposed to a reflector? I'm not sure of the older models

PS: Philips only makes HID bulbs, not ballasts. You may want to check on who makes them. If there is no branding on the ballast, it's probably a Korean model. Decent, but not as good as German or Japanese ballasts.
Hi, first off The newer Lexus Gs dose not have projector headlights. only the older one's do. Secondly Phillips makes both Bulb and ballast. the ones that said are made in germany are mostly made by phillips. lastly the first generation never came with HID. HID technology started in late 98 so we can't buy OEM HID.
Old 02-26-02, 02:31 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default first gen here

Hi guys-

I'm a fellow first gen owner here. I have found that some of the folks on this board are quite helpful in answering first gen questions. Manaray in particular was helpful and responsive to my posts when I was shopping for my first gen. I don't think there is any anti-first gen sentiment here. Most of the people just happen to be second gen owners, so that's where their interests lie. Others just don't know much about the first gen, so they don't want to provide info that applies to the second gen cars and not to the first gen.

I have started the mods on my 1994 GS300. I am negotiating right now and hope to have some 19" wheels on it in a month or so. Once you have some mods, you'll start getting som positive responses from first and second gen owners when you pass each other on the road.