GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dinged at the Gas Station

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 03:42 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright guys, I tried calling her twice, no answer. I'm not about to let her give me the run around, so I filed the claim. I am still leaving an option on the table that if she wants to deal with the situation outside of insurance, the offer will remain open and I will drop the claim.

This really blows cuz I just got my new wheels put on and am gonna adjust my stance and detail my car....guess the detail and the new pics are gonna have to wait.....

I'm kinda embrassed to post pics, but the damage is done. You can't really detail these types of scraps as portions of paint are gone.... I checked out the damage in the morning and you can definitely see it in the light. Moreover, my bumper was flawless before she hit me as I got it resprayed a little over a year and a half ago.

I appreciate all the advice fellas, always be on the defensive!
Old 11-06-08, 06:41 PM
Nick 2jz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how bad it is, but I say have her fix it. If it cracked the paint and sometime down the road you were washing the car and some more paint flaked off then you will really be kicking yourself.

Every time you look at the rear end your eyes are going right to that spot.
Old 11-06-08, 09:31 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

hmm what if that lady was my mom (or yours for that matter) i would be pissed to know someone is putting in a claim for something so small.

since the lady was pretty cool about it, she didn't argue with you and give you her information, i say you let this one go... atleast thats what i would do.

i prefer good karma over bad karma.
Old 11-06-08, 10:14 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would file a claim. She shouldn't have hit your car in the first place. Good luck.
Old 11-07-08, 06:34 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Alright guys, I tried calling her twice, no answer. I'm not about to let her give me the run around, so I filed the claim. I am still leaving an option on the table that if she wants to deal with the situation outside of insurance, the offer will remain open and I will drop the claim.

This really blows cuz I just got my new wheels put on and am gonna adjust my stance and detail my car....guess the detail and the new pics are gonna have to wait.....

I'm kinda embrassed to post pics, but the damage is done. You can't really detail these types of scraps as portions of paint are gone.... I checked out the damage in the morning and you can definitely see it in the light. Moreover, my bumper was flawless before she hit me as I got it resprayed a little over a year and a half ago.

I appreciate all the advice fellas, always be on the defensive!
If its something minor according to your original post then I guess you can avoid the insurance companies. You gave her that option and now no answer by her to your calls and now there's no other choice but to go through insurance. That's on her now.

No need to be embarrassed about posting pics. I think folks here will use that to gauge the severity of the damage and offer better advice.
Old 11-07-08, 08:08 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Once your file a claim, you might not be able to drop it and settle off the books.

I didn't mention it in my earlier post, but the insurance agent for the woman that damaged my rear bumper failed to file my claim hoping that I would settle off the books. On top of that, the agent lied to me and told me that the claim had been filed - I found out only after waiting a week for a claims adjuster to contact me while the woman's agent kept phoning me to ask me to settle off the books.

My own insurance agent got involved and filed a complaint with the state insurance commission against the other agent for violating state insurance department regulations that require the submission of all claims. The woman's own insurance company also filed a complaint with the insurance commission against the agent for the same violation -- I was told that they were required by insurance regulations to file a complaint against their own agent.

It turned out that the woman who hit me car had a long string of "accidents" and one more claim was going to get her insurance cancelled. Her insurance agent was a close friend. Maybe she was working on her own "Karma" - she was on her way to reserve police training when she hit my car.

What should have been a simple settlement for a measily $1100 sure caused a lot of grief.
Old 11-07-08, 09:01 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GS-F
hmm what if that lady was my mom (or yours for that matter) i would be pissed to know someone is putting in a claim for something so small.
since the lady was pretty cool about it, she didn't argue with you and give you her information, i say you let this one go... atleast thats what i would do.
i prefer good karma over bad karma.
i don't care if it was my mom, your mom, my gf or Santa Claus.....just cause your cool AFTER you hit my car doesn't mean i should let it go. i mean how many people are gonna hit your car and then be a jerk 2 u or b mean about it after wards? not many smart people....they r hoping by them being nice you will forget that some stupid person just damaged your expensive property. it doesn't matter me if it was the holy father the pope himself, if he dinged my car he better get outta the popemobile and produce a insurance card CAUSE im gonna file a claim on him too!

p.s. karma doesnt exist or we wouldn't have child molesters ,robbers, murders,rapists,etc etc running the streets free and robbers suing people whose homes they were breaking into cause they cut themselves on their property
Old 11-07-08, 10:35 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

just go to a repair shop and ask how much it'll cost to get the bumper repainted.
Call the lady and tell her how much its going to cost, and explain that its not a huge thing and you are willing to accept a percentage and you'll pay the rest to get it repainted.
its not expensive to repaint a bumper so i dont think she'll mind.
Old 11-07-08, 01:49 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If its something you can take care with some touch up paint i would just do that. So if its something your willing to live with, or its not really bothering you... then its no big deal. However if you plan on replacing, or fixing it, i would have her pay for it.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 11-07-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-07-08, 01:59 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
p.s. karma doesnt exist or we wouldn't have child molesters ,robbers, murders,rapists,etc etc running the streets free and robbers suing people whose homes they were breaking into cause they cut themselves on their property
uhh okay...
Old 11-07-08, 02:27 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, i've actually witnessed the exact thing as what happened to the OP while filling up.. she didn't realize either, got out.. started pumping gas, dude gets out after paying and he's like wtf.. he's just like come on.. and left
i assume there must have been some tiny amount of damage, but it's a matter of principle.. don't drive like a douche, if you let them slide, they don't learn from their mistakes imo..
to be fair though, i wouldn't take it to their insurance, i'd simply ask them to pay for whatever damage they caused..
what's done is done