GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 06:10 PM
T.GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice

Hey guys

Just looking for some advice on how to improve my car a bit. I have a 2002 GS300 and I absolutely love it. Keep in mind this is my first car ever and I'm complete noob when it comes to cars. I can, however, appreciate clean and classy upgrades. I'm just looking for pointers on what I can do that's relatively cheap for now, places I can go to around the Toronto area, and if I need to buy parts myself for the upgrades.

Some things I want to do and need help with:

- Lower it (how exactly does this work? Do I need to buy the new springs and then take those to a shop and ask them to drop it??)

- Color brakes (My GS is Silver, and I would LOVE to get those RED breaks that say Lexus on them. I've seen them on a couple of pics here and they look super hot)

- Clear bottom tail lights (I see these all the time on the boards here. How difficult/expensive are they to put on?)

- New tires/rims (My current tires are pretty crappy. There's almost no thread left and sometimes the car can't even keep a straight line when I drop the gas from a dead stop. It keeps swirving. Similar thing happens when I break hard. Again keep in mind I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, so what should I be looking for as far as numbers and brands?)

- Rims (I basically fell in love with the rims on that absolutely SICK black onyx GS that's floating around the net. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. I think I might have even seen this dude post on the boards here. Where can I get these and what are they gonna cost me?? Please don't say 5grand LOL)

- Speed (I'd like to improve my 0-30 times as much as possible. I love dropping the gas all the way down from a dead stop and hearing the engine go. I've heard that an Intake is a really good early upgrade. Are there any other relatively inexpensive upgrades I can put on to make the car go faster?)

Again, sorry for the ignorance. I'd appreciate it if you guys can help out and point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 11-11-08, 08:27 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome To Club Lexus

I'm going to help you a bit, but also want you to know that the search function on this forum does magic and WILL answer most of your questions.

- To lower you would need springs, coilovers, or air suspension... Check the suspension sub-forum here and also the sticky

- The color brakes you saw are painted with caliper paint and a Lexus sticker put on.. Probably one of the cheapest mods. Use the search function for info on where to get the sticker.

- Clear bottom tail lights can be found for around $175, can't tell you where, but the search function can

-Rims/tires... You can find info on the Special Interest forum here, which is sponsored by Tire Rack... You should do your homework on this since tires are also personal preference.

Good Luck, and enjoy your stay
Old 11-11-08, 09:26 AM
T.GS300
Driver School Candidate

Ok, now I feel like an idiot hehe. Please disregard my post. I've been looking around the actual threads for this info, but never occured to me to actually search. And thank you for the welcome and your help
Old 11-11-08, 10:01 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome T.GS300
Old 11-11-08, 01:05 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T.GS300
Ok, now I feel like an idiot hehe. Please disregard my post. I've been looking around the actual threads for this info, but never occured to me to actually search. And thank you for the welcome and your help
No reason for you to feel like an idiot... You admitted that you are new to cars and the plus is that you're willing to learn. Hope I gave you a good start and any more help just ask
Old 11-12-08, 05:15 AM
T.GS300
Driver School Candidate

You sure did; thanks again! I already got some white stickers and red paint for the calipers. Now on to doing some more research on how to actually pull it off. Do you think I should even attempt to do this myself?? heheh
Old 11-12-08, 07:05 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

You sure did; thanks again! I already got some white stickers and red paint for the calipers. Now on to doing some more research on how to actually pull it off. Do you think I should even attempt to do this myself?? heheh
As far as the brakes being painted, YES. If you got the spray paint, make sure you tape everything off properly, and use jack stands please Let the paint dry, place sticker, and then some clear coat to protect the sticker.
You can also change out the tail lights urself... I might be changing a bulb out on mine, so I'll try to take pics in case you need them
Old 11-12-08, 07:39 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys

Just looking for some advice on how to improve my car a bit. I have a 2002 GS300 and I absolutely love it. Keep in mind this is my first car ever and I'm complete noob when it comes to cars. I can, however, appreciate clean and classy upgrades. I'm just looking for pointers on what I can do that's relatively cheap for now, places I can go to around the Toronto area, and if I need to buy parts myself for the upgrades.

Some things I want to do and need help with:

- Lower it (how exactly does this work? Do I need to buy the new springs and then take those to a shop and ask them to drop it??)

- Color brakes (My GS is Silver, and I would LOVE to get those RED breaks that say Lexus on them. I've seen them on a couple of pics here and they look super hot)

- Clear bottom tail lights (I see these all the time on the boards here. How difficult/expensive are they to put on?)

- New tires/rims (My current tires are pretty crappy. There's almost no thread left and sometimes the car can't even keep a straight line when I drop the gas from a dead stop. It keeps swirving. Similar thing happens when I break hard. Again keep in mind I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, so what should I be looking for as far as numbers and brands?)

- Rims (I basically fell in love with the rims on that absolutely SICK black onyx GS that's floating around the net. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. I think I might have even seen this dude post on the boards here. Where can I get these and what are they gonna cost me?? Please don't say 5grand LOL)

- Speed (I'd like to improve my 0-30 times as much as possible. I love dropping the gas all the way down from a dead stop and hearing the engine go. I've heard that an Intake is a really good early upgrade. Are there any other relatively inexpensive upgrades I can put on to make the car go faster?)

Again, sorry for the ignorance. I'd appreciate it if you guys can help out and point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!!!
Welcome to CL..
Whatever you're trying to do..just take your time and check out this forum. Sometime, you might find some very helpful ideas in here. Check out L-tuneparts for your upgrade or forums.