GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rails Scraping on speedbump = BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-08, 03:50 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rails Scraping on speedbump = BAD?

okay, so the other day i was driving in a parking lot and i was forced to go over a speedbump (stupid SUV behind me) and my rails were 100% on the sppedbump. i can feel them scraping under my seat, is this bad? i mean its bad but whats going to happen? rust? my friend told me a welds might pop off if i keep doing that or something. i dont know what i should do, is there a way i can re-enforce it? any thoughts?
Old 11-11-08, 04:24 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you talking about those things you place the jack at underneath you car??? mine does that too
Old 11-11-08, 04:27 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

man you guys are dumped then, just go over the speed bumps very slow at a angle, all you can do really
Old 11-11-08, 05:48 AM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

If you can't handle being that low then raise your car.
Old 11-11-08, 05:53 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

okie let me rephrase what i posted above lol..its never happened to me and i NEVER go on monster speed bumps but one time i had 2 jumbos in my car! one was sitting up front in the passsenger side and one on the right side in the back. i went over a very small bump and i was trying to angle as much as i could and all i hear is scrap scrap scrap scrap.

i was going to my friends house and i thought it was just gona be me and him hanging but then he just go aheads and invites him jumbo brother and friend to come along. i was like damn lol.

just those kinds of moments make me want to get airride and dump the coilovers!!!
Old 11-11-08, 06:10 AM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

haha.. the welds are going to pop off? I scrape every so often, but I'm too lazy to check what exactly is scraping. It sounds like thin metal, so I'm assuming it's a heat shield or my exhaust or something.. no biggy.

Not even a big deal to me when I slightly rub up against the frame rails (it feels a lot more solid when this happens), but then again I'm not a stickler about my car.
Old 11-11-08, 06:48 AM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by handoverfi
okie let me rephrase what i posted above lol..its never happened to me and i NEVER go on monster speed bumps but one time i had 2 jumbos in my car! one was sitting up front in the passsenger side and one on the right side in the back. i went over a very small bump and i was trying to angle as much as i could and all i hear is scrap scrap scrap scrap.

i was going to my friends house and i thought it was just gona be me and him hanging but then he just go aheads and invites him jumbo brother and friend to come along. i was like damn lol.
If that's the case, then there's nothing to worry about. It's because of the added weight that made your car sit lower. I wouldn't be too concerned with it. I scraped on the regular when my car was lower. I raised my car up a little for the time being just to milk these free tires. Hahaha

just those kinds of moments make me want to get airride and dump the coilovers!!!
I like coilovers because I can adjust the height to my liking. If you're more into the temporary look then more power to ya!
Old 11-11-08, 08:25 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

just do like the low rider trucks do and get a titanuim skidplate lol
Old 11-11-08, 08:59 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

How do you scrape the frame rails? That would mean your exhaust pipe would be destroyed first, then your side skirts.
Old 11-11-08, 09:18 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

iirc, the frame rails sit a tad lower than the skirts. again, iirc tho.
OP, welcome to the club , betcha felt like you were teeter-tottering? LOL
Old 11-11-08, 09:26 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Guess the guy with air doesn't know what that feels like.

No one will see the damage under there anyway. I don't think your car would start falling apart. Reminds me of that scene in The Fast and the Furious where the guy's floorboard falls off and makes sparks everywhere. DANGER TO MANIFOLD beep beep beep beep
Old 11-11-08, 09:30 AM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i always ride with "well fed" guys on sundays to our games and boy does my car scrape like crazy....even going slowly at an angle. So i tell them to get out now. ha hahha
Old 11-11-08, 10:12 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

gotta agree with chrispy...who actually looks underneath for rail scrapage?
so what if u scrape piping too, it just reinforces that you're low and look good

by the way, dam those guys on air, LOL
Old 11-11-08, 10:29 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its a price to pay. I scrape my (I think) resonators eveytime I go over those monster speed bumps.
Old 11-11-08, 12:01 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

To the guys riding that low...aren't you concerned that if you scrape or bang your exhaust hard enough that it could move it out of place a little creating more stress on all your exhaust components resulting in exhaust leakage?

I banged my exhaust (y-pipe hit first) real bad on a stupid speed bump not too long ago and now the metal fasteners for the heat shield are completely bent (not sitting snug against the pipe). For that much force it makes me wonder if everything moved back slightly; like 1/8" but feel that this might cause premature exhaust leakage down the road. I hate speed bumps!

Quick Reply: Rails Scraping on speedbump = BAD?